Cleanest Target ammo?

This is a discussion on Cleanest Target ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently purchased a G23C, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some cheap clean 40cal plinking target ammo. I'm looking to buy bulk ...

Thread: Cleanest Target ammo?

Cleanest Target ammo?

I have recently purchased a G23C, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some cheap clean 40cal plinking target ammo. I'm looking to buy bulk so as cheap as possible but also clean. I have over 400 rounds of Winchester 165gr Target/Range Walmart specials..but would like to get a better deal and also a cleaner shot. Any ideas guys?
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

2. Remove Ads

Winchester WinClean ammo maybe? $315 for 1,000 rounds at Ammunition To Go. Not the cheapest rounds you can buy, but still in line with other FMJ ammo.

CCI Blazer and CCI Blazer Brass are pretty clean

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    CCI Blazer and CCI Blazer Brass are pretty clean
    I buy that at walmart for $12.47 for 50 rounds.

Best deal in south florida...

The winchesters are $26.98 for 100, so figure Id save 2 bux
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Quote Originally Posted by Balsac View Post
    I buy that at walmart for $12.47 for 50 rounds.

Best deal in south florida...

The winchesters are $26.98 for 100, so figure Id save 2 bux
    I just bought 5 boxes of the CCI Blazer today for $8.99ea, 50ct. at a local store called Wild Sports here in Orangevale.

If you have the chance check out the Blazer cleanfire stuff, or whatever they call it. It is a TMJ round, with aluminum casing. I have only used them once but WOW, felt the best and was the cleanest I have shot through my G23.

IMO the Winchester WB is some of the dirtiest ammo there is, and the WinCLean wasn't a whole lot better either. Just my $.02 though!

Before I started reloading I purchased WWB at Walmart, but I was more worried about money than dirty ammo... I clean mine after every range trip.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

VIP Member
    Clean ain't going to be cheap; a little cleaner, maybe the blazer

Thanks, I think that when I first purchased my regualr G23 I shot some Blazer brass and was quite clean. This Winchester Ammo is just filthy as hell...so I will be switching out as soon as I run out to something else. If anyone else has anymore input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Winchester white box, PMC, UMC, American Eagle, PMP, and Magtech I've all had experience with for plinking ammo. Of them all, I would say the cleaner brands seem to be the PMP (purple/blue box)and the UMC (owned by Remington I think-green/white box). American Eagle isn't bad for the price. WWB seems to leave alot of unburnt powder residue, and the Magtech ammo throws sparks out the muzzle noticeably at the indoor range. I haven't used enough of the PMC in 40cal to elaborate.

"Clean" ammo only matters if you are shooting small amounts of ammo. Once you get to a couple rounds, the fouling is going to be pretty comparable regardless of what you use.

It was suggested Winclean be used. I tried Winclean a few years ago and maybe it has improved, I don't know, but it left a coating of brass wash in the chamber and barrel that took forever to get clean.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    "Clean" ammo only matters if you are shooting small amounts of ammo. Once you get to a couple rounds, the fouling is going to be pretty comparable regardless of what you use.

It was suggested Winclean be used. I tried Winclean a few years ago and maybe it has improved, I don't know, but it left a coating of brass wash in the chamber and barrel that took forever to get clean.

Thanks, I will consider that. I'm still sitting on quite a few Winchester target rounds, so as soon as I'm done there..I will be on the lookout for cleaner ammo...and more...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post

I will second that same experience. I thought the WinClean was worse than the regular stuff! To be honest I have also found that my G23 does not like WWB. It will take Blazer, and Federal just fine etc and I have yet to try some other ammo, but it will not fire 100% every time on WWB. I am thinking that has something to do with all the crap that is left over from it.

Links