Another shotgun HD load - Page 2

Another shotgun HD load

This is a discussion on Another shotgun HD load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 00 and #4 BUCKSHOT as my HD load......I favor the 00 buck. #4 buckshot is lighter a may NOT penatrate enough. 00 Buck ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another shotgun HD load

I have 00 and #4 BUCKSHOT as my HD load......I favor the 00 buck. #4 buckshot is lighter a may NOT penatrate enough. 00 Buck isn't the overwhelming 'manstoper' you see in the movies, but it'll "take care of business" better than any other shotgun round ,minus a slug. As for the overpenatration, stay with the 2 3/4" buckshot shells and it'll do.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

if you pay attention to what's beyond your target, you shouldn't have to worry about over penetration, right? or are you worried about what happens if you don't hit the target? anything that's going to penetrate enough to incapacitate a human is going to punch through some walls. as the adage says, you can't have your cake and eat it to in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've seen game hit with 4 shot and if somebody's wearing heavy clothing might not penetrate enough to hit vitals
    #4 shot or #4 buck? And, at what range? Most game is not taken within the 25ft-or-less range of the average room interior.
    Having said that, I'd be more inclined to lean towards #1 buck as a compromise load - nearly twice the mass (.24 Vs .30 inch) of #4 buck, but nearly twice the pellets (depending on mfg., about 15 to 18 Vs 9) of 00-buck.
    For those that don't know:
    "Magnum" in a handgun or rifle indicates higher velocity. A .357 is just a .38 spcl jacked up in speed; a .300 Weatherby is just another .30 caliber rifle, but (again) accelerated greatly. We all know this; no insult intended.
    But, what a surprising number of people don't know is that shotguns don't increase in velocity. A "Magnum" shotgun round is a heavier load - more lead - but at the same velocity. This has the effect of creating a denser pattern, which adds lethality but not range. There is a finite velocity at which a shot pattern is controllable; above that, the pattern becomes more and more random and scattered. (FWIW, black powder achieves that velocity. Survivalists, take note..... )
    Now, some hunters may have made shotgun kills at longer range by using magnum loads, but only due to the increased number of hits - not more "power." (Thus, even a kill at longer range borders on being a "luck shot" - not recommended.)
    The whole reason for this longer-than-intended post is to explain why I don't recommend heavy, 3-1/2" Magnum, Anti-Pachyderm loads that frighten your wifes/daughters more than even the intruder for home defense. At 10 feet, even the empty plastic wadding cup can be lethal. (Not surmise but a proven fact, but please don't expect me to rifle through 35 yrs of studies and research to find the proof; I'll absolutely disappoint you. I promise.)
    Personally, I use Aguilla Buckshot Mini-Shells for HD in my SxS: 1-1/4" long (half-dozen-plus spares in a pants pocket), 7ea #4 Buck and 4 ea single-0 pellets together in each shell, standard velocity. They don't work well in a pump, though, because they are short enough that they tend to "tumble" end-over-end when released from the magazine into the loading tray. I doubt they would serve any better in an auto-loader for the same reason PLUS they may not have enough inertia to cycle properly. Just as a "magnum" is standard velocity/heavy load, these are standard velocity/light load.
    Now, even your kids can painlessly enjoy shooting full-lethality loads! (Aguilla also makes them in slugs as well as 7-1/2 shot for birds/skeet; I don't remember what/if other sizes they offer.)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    as far as handgun vs. shotgun in the home, if you have the choice why wouldn't you choose the superior firepower of a shotgun? do you like putting yourself at a disadvantage?
    I've taught/stated many times (at the risk of sounding like I'm trying to sound like . . . something. . . ):
    "At handgun ranges, the Shotgun is the undisputed King."

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Anyone ever hit a pheasant at close range?? Not much left when it happens.
    I have remington high speed steel shot #4 in my 870. I truely would hate to be on the recieving end at 15ft from the muzzle.
    That is the whole point, across the normal room in a house, any hunting load will get it done. Only the messy aftermath is of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    when i took awerbuck's shotgun 1 class, one of the things he imprinted very quickly was DO NOT DUTCH LOAD! i keep mine stoked with 00 buck and slugs in the side saddle.

as far as handgun vs. shotgun in the home, if you have the choice why wouldn't you choose the superior firepower of a shotgun? do you like putting yourself at a disadvantage?

+1000

Louis is the real deal, and anyone who gets a chance to train with him will learn LOTS about proper shotgun technique.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

what is "dutch load"??

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    what is "dutch load"??
    Mixing different types of ammo in the magazine. Such as, having the first 3 rounds .00 Buck and the rest Slugs.

I do this and don't think it presents a real tactical problem - but it does mean that I'll need to be careful to count my shots.

It's an ongoing debate. I'd never do it with a pistol, though. That creates a point-of-aim to point-of-impact problem.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    what is "dutch load"??
    Using multiple loads ie loading your magazine with 00buck, slug, 4buck, 00buck, slug

It creates a problem with never knowing what load you have chambered at anyone time.

For HD I would choose between 00 or #4 Buck with slugs in a side saddle
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I have 5 rounds 00 buck in the gun and 2 rounds 00 and 3 brenenke slugs in side saddle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links