How much do you shoot?

How much do you shoot?

This is a discussion on How much do you shoot? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering how much people shoot? I used to shoot more often when both ammo and gas prices ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do you shoot?

I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering how much people shoot? I used to shoot more often when both ammo and gas prices were cheaper. I have decreased how often I mangage to get out to the range because of the total cost.

So, about how many rounds do you go through in a typical range visit and if you shoot more than one caliber, how many of each.
    I typically shoot about 300 rounds of .22 and somewhere between 100-150 rnds of 9mm. I will sometimes add in another 50 rnds or so of .40 and .45, .223, and 12 g depending on what I bring with me.

I wish I could shoot more but it kills my wallet to go out. The .22 is still extremely cheap so I shoot as much as I can until my thumbs get tired of loading mags. Ive been thinking about adding one of the .22 conversion kits to the g19 or 17 to make it easier and cheaper to practice with those. Plus, I have put some serious thought into reloading but have yet to get the equipment. Once we move into our new home next week I think reloading will become a priorty for me.

Anyways, what about you guys?
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Last week i shot about 600 rounds of 22,200 rounds of 9mm,400 rounds 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I used to try to shoot at least 200 rounds each tme I went target time. But that was when I only took my XD 45acp. Now I have a shotgun and an AR-15 that I have to feed as well. Increased ammo prices and hugely inflated gas prices has cut severely into that.

As for now, I can only shoot about 50 to 100 rounds a month of the .45acp, about 100 rounds of 5.56/.223 and just a box of 12guage per month.

I also have limited times and places to shoot and that hinders me also.

I keep several hundred rounds of each type ammo in storage, but I refuse to just go shoot it up not knowing what the next week will bring.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

not as much now as i"d like to. with prices these days, maybe
    a couple hunded rds. every other week.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Been going twice a week to the range. I live close now compared to the last couple years. What I don't spend on gas is apparently going into ammo. Going tomorrow matter of fact. Taking the Glocks in 9mm and 40S&W, as well as two 22lr rifles. 100 for the 40cal, and 150 for the 9mm. 400 or so for the 22's. I'm getting close to the GSSF match locally June 7th and 8th-so I'm figuring our which pistol I'll be using for that. Last Thursday. me and the little woman rattled off 80 rounds of .223 through the Bushmaster, 20 rounds through the 22-250, and 200 rounds of 9mm through the G19. Last week, it was just 30 rounds through the 22-250 and 30 rounds through the 6.5x55 at 300yds. Week before that was about 400 rounds through the 10/22's (both) and 100 or so through the G17, and 100 45acp through the SIG P220. We can go to one of two ranges locally, and the close one is 2 1/2 miles away. If I didn't shoot at least once a week, I couldn't live with myself.

Usually I take 2 guns to the indoor range I belong to. I try to go at least once a week. I usually shoot a box+ through each weapon.

Taurus PT-145, .45 ACP, I use Winchester, 100 rd. 'bulk' box, $27.98 @ wal-mart and will shoot 50 - 60 rds.

S&W Sigma SW9VE, 9x19 para, I also use the Winchester, 100 rd. 'bulk' box, $16.98 @ wal-mart and will shoot 50 - 60 rds.

Taurus 605, .357 mag, again I use the Winchester, 100 rd. 'bulk' box, .38 spl $24.98 @ wal-mart and will shoot no more than 50 rds., then I'll shoot 10-20 rds. of .357 mag to finish it off.

Ruger Ranch Rifle (KMINI-14/5), .223, I take (2) - 30 rd. mags with me...loaded with Federal game-shok that I was lucky enough to get in bulk, again at wal-mart, $58 per 200 round box (I picked up 3 boxes before they were gone like a flash).

.22 LR (either Mossberg semi-auto rifle or one of my wifes pistols)...I usually shoot about 100 rds.

Mossberg 500, .20 ga. pump, when I go outdoors with the clay pidgins, I'll shoot 2 - boxes (50 shells). I'll use whatever target loads are on sale wherever I can find them.
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

I live fire about 50 rounds, once a month. Most of that is point shooting with each hand. My goal is to hit COM at 21 feet while gripping the gun very hard and pulling the trigger fast - what I would be doing if I my life were threatened.

For me, self defense is a lot more than fine accuracy at 25 yards. I love target shooting, but ammo prices have gotten too high.

The bulk of my practice is dry fire, presentation, movement, mag changes and failure drills.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    I live fire about 50 rounds, once a month. Most of that is point shooting with each hand. My goal is to hit COM at 21 feet while gripping the gun very hard and pulling the trigger fast - what I would be doing if I my life were threatened.

For me, self defense is a lot more than fine accuracy at 25 yards. I love target shooting, but ammo prices have gotten too high.

The bulk of my practice is dry fire, presentation, movement, mag changes and failure drills.
    Yes, and my wife and I were just talking about buying 3-4K rounds of .45 ammo this summer to have enough ammo for additional SD pistol courses...I have 1K+ (.45) on hand at all times...

I try to shoot at least once a month...200 .45 with my EDC, and 200 9mm with my other toys...

Stay armed...train that muscle memory...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Twice per week not counting IDPA.

I generally keep 500 rds. of .45 and same of 9MM stowed in a sealed and locked dry box inside my trunk to have on hand for days when I have classes and courses to take. When nothing is scheduled for a given month I remove the box and keep it in a closet by my side entry.

In my dedicated range kit I keep 200 rds. each of 9MM and 45. as well as a 550rd. box of .22 that currently is down to roughly 50% empty. I never let it get below 200 rds. min. for a given chambering and had prior to recent months kept 300 rds. per on hand.
    On a training day I typically focus on fundamentals and in doing so I'll as of late focus my time on .22 and 9MM as I have just three guns and they all are 1911s. The .22 is a top end conversion that will run on any of the three lowers.
    As of the last quarter I run through roughly 800 rds. of ammo per week, again not counting IDPA which I try my best to shoot four times per month alternating between .45 and 9MM in ESP class and .45 in CDP.
    As well I run through a 15 canister box of CO2 powerlets every other month toward powering a BB pistol I use at home for point shooting and IDPA practice sessions.

I am looking into purchasing equipment this summer to begin reloading as I have accumulated a whole mess of brass.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I used to go every weekend but between gas and ammo prices, plus its motorcycle time, I am only going every 2-3 weeks. Typically, I go through 100 9mm's, about 50 .38's and 200-300 .22's. I usually take my HD shotgun out and blast 10-20 rounds through it also, but yesterday I shot a few 3" slugs for the heck of it. WOW!! I didnt know if I should laugh or cry, that is ridiculous to say the least. After that I didnt really feel the need to shoot the Mav 88 anymore

Not enough. It's been three months and I'm well into withdrawls. Prior to Feb. I was going at least twice a month.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

shoot

If your reload there is a big advantage. I reload and cast lead bullets for handgun and some slower speed rifle rounds. Going prairie dog shooting again next week and depending on the weather and wind conditions usually shoot between 800 and 1500 rounds in four days of reloaded centerfire varmint rounds and some 17 HMR on calm days.

I currently avaerage about 250 rounds of centerfire pistol rounds per week plus about 100 .223. Every couple of weeks I go thru 300-400 rounds of .22 LR. A couple of times a year I bring out the big bore handguns and rifles - probably no more than a couple of hundred rounds total. I shoot a short course defensive pistol match weekly and try to shoot an IDPA or USPSA match every week end ( or practice when I can not).
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I go to the range almost every tuesday and never shoot less than 150-200 rounds of .40CAL

Cant wait until I get my XD9 Back... have a crap load of rounds waiting!
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    The constant is that I am an RO at one gun club one Saturday/month, so we (Wife and I) also shoot that day. That's usually 150-250 rds of .22 for her and maybe 50 rds .22 for me. Plus she might shoot 50 rds 9mm (depending on her carpal tunnel pain that day). I'll usually shoot 100-150 rds of .45 and maybe 50 rds of 9mm.

I stocked up on ammo when Dick's was running sales and $10 coupons last year. So when this stuff is burned up, we'll be shooting a lot more .22 than anything else.

I sometimes get to the range one additional day/month and that will typically be with 9mm and .45, usually burning 50 rds and 100 rds respectively.

All my shooting is usually handguns at 21 ft when outdoors or 33 ft when indoors (minimum distance allowed at club for indoor ranges).

Broke all records this past week and over 9 days we hit the two clubs a total of four times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links