Fangface?

This is a discussion on Fangface? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had occasion to use the Extreme Shock ammo, such as the fangface round in an actual defensive shooting? With the discussions regarding Prosecutor's ...

Thread: Fangface?

Question Fangface?

Has anyone had occasion to use the Extreme Shock ammo, such as the fangface round in an actual defensive shooting?

With the discussions regarding Prosecutor's attacks on our choices of ammunition, has anyone had to face this in a court of law?

It seems the manufacturer should bear some responsibility to defend the use of their ammo in a self defense shooting. Is there any precedent?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Fangface will not only vaporize your assailant, but also the Prosecutor's will to prosecute. It may even make him sterile.
    The only other comment I would have is that if it were indeed the Fist of God, you'd have heard quite a bit more about it outside of SOF or G&A.

I would pass, since I don't believe it does anything more than other less noisome maunfacturer's products.

A few minutes of Google searching brought up very little solid data and zero real-world reports on this stuff.

The advice you'll generally get from members of this forum (myself included) is to stick with well-proven (but modern) bullet designs such as Speer's Gold Dot, Federal's HST, Winchester's Ranger SXT, etc...

Pow'R'Ball looks pretty cool, if we could find some solid data on it, I'd be willing to give that a try.

Best of luck finding a carry ammo!

Peace
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Good ammo sells itself.

Contrast the marketing of Black Hills which sells itself through performance and word of mouth with Extreme Shock ammo which relies heavily on the "ninja/spec-ops" factor.

Think very carefully about using a product that has to be marketed so agressively when other products are available which don't need to rely on flashy magazine adds.

Thanks. I am not looking to use it as carry or self defense ammo, I am really wondering why a manufacturer would market and sell a product that will be attacked by a Prosecutor for using it exactly as it is marketed? If it were a civil suit, the manufacturer would be brought in without question. A defendant cannot bring in a manufacturer as a criminal defense.

I think this extreme ammo should be avoided. If someone has information otherwise I would like to hear it.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think this extreme ammo should be avoided. If someone has information otherwise I would like to hear it.
    You live in Tejas- if you can shoot feral pigs, get a couple of boxes, and let us know.

I'm not a big fan of "Ayoobian-thinking." Yes, he has many valid point, and yes, LFI had semi-legitimately been referred to as "How To Get Away With Murder College." My concern would be less with prosecution than with having ammo that was all hype and no performance. If the image is a decisive factor, no one here is buying Cold Steel knives, right?

Don't be the tallest mole in the game of Whack-A-Mole, equally don't ignore something solely because of legalism. If you think it seems to be superior, see if your dealer will order a couple of boxes non-special order, and pay cash.

Thanks.

Rob, I am not sure what you mean by Ayoobian thinking. I also don't understand about Cold Steel knives.

I do not want to go into a situation using something that I know is unreasonable, be it ammunition or any other device. Being reasonable and prudent is what we should all strive for. The actual performance for the fangface ammo is not what I was lead to believe (after finding a test on the internet). I had been lead to believe that this round was almost guaranteed to stop the threat if there was a hit in the center of mass. But in contrast I also was reading so much about not using extreme ammo.. I was wondering if there were any test cases where that was brought up in a trial.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Not sure if I saw this posted on here or another forum, but here you go...

Clicky

...personally, I wouldn't use 'em.

I don't think a prosecutor is going to make a case on what ammo you used if it's a olegitimate shoot you won't even see a trial in texas
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks. I am not looking to use it as carry or self defense ammo, I am really wondering why a manufacturer would market and sell a product that will be attacked by a Prosecutor for using it exactly as it is marketed?
    Oh, you mean like the use of caliber (10mm) and hollowpoints in the Harold Fish case in Arizona? How about every other case where prosecutors claim hollowpoints are particularly bad (either more lethal, more damaging, or whatever)?

Sure it should be avoided, but not because of some stupid advertising and a fear of what prosecutors may or may not do. If Fang Face is truly a great defensive ammo, better than anything out there, then that is the ammo I want in my gun. I need to be alive to be prosecuted, LOL.

However as noted, there is no real world evidence to indicate that the ammo is actually any better than other ammo out there and is not a proven performer. Most prudent folks would go with a proven performer which Fang Face is not. That is a real world self defense reason NOT to use it as carry ammo.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Thanks for the Harold Fish reference, googled it and it is interesting.

I am not a typist so my economy with typed words sometimes leaves gaps.

The performance of the fangface was not as I was originally informed.

Being reasonable and prudent in your selection of self defense ammunition is choosing proven products made by well known manufacturers.

I am not saying don't use it because you could be sued or prosecuted. I don't really want to flame any manufacturers products either.

My OP was wondering if anyone had any experience with these rounds, and it doesn't look like anyone on this forum has or is willing to speak up about it.
    Last edited by Yoda; May 28th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

The prosecutor aside...

Can you afford to fill and fire your carry setup 5 times with extreme shock ammo?

I'm not talking a 1000 round reliability test...

Lets make it more simple...Your gun, all the mags you normaly carry as spares filled with extreme shock and fired off as a reliabilty test.

I use a Glock 19 & 2 spare mags, so that's 46 rounds of ammo x 5.

230 rounds...5 50 round boxes of ammo. At $30 per box, that is $150 to test my carry ammo.

Can you afford to do that with Extreme Shock?

If you can, go for it.

If you can't use something "not so extreme" like that pathetic winchester offering...you know, Bonded Ranger Talon...

VIP Member
    P'wr'bal will feed and take down a human.

Links