44 Mag for home defense

This is a discussion on 44 Mag for home defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a result of another thread in another area I have the following question/thought. I would like to use my 44 mag Revolver as a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Mag for home defense

44 Mag for home defense

As a result of another thread in another area I have the following question/thought.

I would like to use my 44 mag Revolver as a home defense weapon on my lower level. Concerned obviously with overpenetration of likely all the walls of the house so I was curious if a loading of round 1 & 2 with 44 shot shells and 3-6 with hollow point defense rounds would make sense. The 44 shot shells make a nasty hole in plywood so they should at least slow a guy down. If he does not turn tail and run at that point a full 44 in the chest will do him in.

Thoughts?
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I would load all rounds in whatever caliber I chose to stop the threat not just tick em off. Not all shootings stop with 1-2 rounds. Over penetration is a concern , but you already have considered this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Shoot 44 spl rounds through your 44 magnum...Same nice big wound channel but less penatration. (but as always, I'd recommend a 12 ga. for home defense)
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Bird shot is for birds!

Especially out of a short (compared to a shotgun) barrel like that, shot is nearly useless. Even 12 gauge birdshot will not acheive enough penetration to produce reliable stopping shots to center-of-mass, let alone shot shells out of a .44. It's just a bad idea.

Use .44 Specials for less power.

Low-penetration ammo such as Glasser Safety Slugs are available if you're really worried about over-penneration, but my opinion is, train with your weapon until you're accurate and confident with it instead.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

shotgun

I don't think you can beat a shotgun for home defense. I bought an old Ithaca 37 12 gauge at a yard sale for $75 cut the barrel down to 18 1/4 inches and switched it over to a pistol grip stock for a home defender with buckshot.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    As Pete said birdshot is for birds. The other night my dog was having a fit so I grabbed my trusty 44 mag loaded with birdshot because I thought he had treed a squirrel. Unfortunately it was a skunk and an upset one at that. The skunk started toward me with his tail in the air and I wasn't about to let him get turned so I cut loose with the birdshot. IT DIDN'T SLOW HIM DOWN AT ALL!! I hit that rascal 6 times and all he did was hiss. While I was shooting the pistol I was also yelling for my wife to bring the shotgun. She did and the skunk died.
    The moral of the story is that 44 mag birdshot wouldn't even stop a ticked off skunk. I'm not going to trust it on an intruder.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

+1 to Gunnutty.

Found a few relevent links:

The Box O' Truth #30 - Snakeloads O' Truth - Page 1

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

From Box 'O' Truth:

"Birdshot as a Defense Load
    I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.

But doesn't 00 Buck penetrate too much in interior walls to be a "safe" load in a home?
    Yes, it does penetrate a lot. But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn't penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.

When To Use Birdshot
    A friend of AR15.com sends this:

"I saw a gunshot victim, about 5' 10" and 200 lbs, taken to the operating room with a shotgun wound to the chest. He was shot at a range of six feet at a distance of just over the pectoralis muscle. He was sitting on his front porch and walked to the ambulance. We explored the chest after x-rays were taken. The ER doc had said 'buckshot' wound, but this was obviously not accurate.

It was # 6 shot. There was a crater in the skin over an inch in diameter. When the shot hit the level of the ribs, it spread out about five inches. There was ONE pellet that had passed between the ribs and entered the pericardium, but not damaged the heart at all. As you say, 'use birdshot for little birds.'"
    Issue resolved, I hope

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

For home defense, I look for over penetration...first the dirtbag in front, then his buddy behind him...nothing wrong with a '2fer'...

Actually, I am cognizant of which directions may cause additional targets, but if it's truly a home invasion, or a burglary...bullets ARE going to fly...I'll worry about the neighbors' houses later.

OMO...YMV

Stay armed...four rules...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    M-29 on my nightstand simply because it is too heavy for everyday carry. All 6 holes are stuffed with FULL HOUSE loads. I could care less about overpenetrating a BG. Maybe the brick walls of my home will stop the slug after it blows a coffee saucer sized hole in his azz.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycramp View Post
    I was curious if a loading of round 1 & 2 with 44 shot shells and 3-6 with hollow point defense rounds would make sense.
    None at all.

Use real ammunition. Birdshot won't do beans. I've tried using .44 magnum birdshot on raccoons, and the results were not satisfactory.

Consider using modern .44 special ammo though - less recoil and flash to inhibit fast followup shots.

44mag 240gr LSWC cow boy action load. Only 975 FPS..

The Cowboy and Shooters Supply : Ammo by Mountaineer Custom Cartridge - Match Grade
    Box of fifty under $26 bucks

I use the 44 Ruger when we’re camping out in the sticks.

And I keep there
    44mag 200gr JHP at 150 FPS in mine..

Or you might consider some of those Blue Dot bullets.

Good info and a few good laughs. Been reloading 44 for about 10 years now. I should have thought to drop down to 44 spl. That is a very good idea. The redhawk is my primary deer gun now. Absolutely no challenge with a rifle anymore. It has no issue bringing down a large buck which will out weigh most men. And it makes a really nice hole. :-)

There was one suggestion on the Glaser round. Not sure I trust those. Heard stories both ways.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycramp View Post

There was one suggestion on the Glaser round. Not sure I trust those. Heard stories both ways.
    "As we were doing tests on the Glaser, one of my colleagues asked me to draw on my experience as a combat surgeon and estimate the survival time of someone shot from the front in the mid-abdomen with this bullet. My answer was, "About three days, and the cause of death would be peritonitis," since only the bowel is likely to be injured" - Dr. Martin L. Fackler

VIP Member
    Just use .44 spl

Yes, I would use either the Blazer 200 gr. jhp or the Silvertip 200 gr. hollowpoint.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links