Eye Opener

This is a discussion on Eye Opener within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, you are correct. But regardless of bullet design, I personally would go with the larger and heavier caliber. Just my personal choice. I read ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eye Opener

Yes, you are correct. But regardless of bullet design, I personally would go with the larger and heavier caliber. Just my personal choice. I read the info about bullet design, speed, etc. but I think you odds are improved with a bigger round if you can shoot it accurately and quickly. You should carry what you are comfortable with and what you can shoot and what you can conceal.
    Just stating my observations - nothing scientific or controled - just a fun day at the range.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Wow! .45 knocked them over 70% of the time! My seven year old with one finger could push over every one 100% of the time. I bet you could do it with a thrown baseball too. Would that make my son or a baseball more combat effective than the .45?
    Do you realize how many kids are killed each year by a baseball during a game? We need a law regulating those things as dangerous kid killers, so where is Sara Brady when you need her?

EDIT: sorry I could't resist.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Tally,

Would you mind posting the source location link or name of the article your read regarding the morgue person.
    I'd like to read it as well.

Thank you,

- Quincy, M.E.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well that all makes sense, since the .45 has more mass and energy, therefore will transfer more of it into the plates. A simple look at any ballistics chart or some simple calculations would give the same results.

Here is one for you though. Get a 20lb propane bottle and shoot at it will the same calibers weapons the 9mm, 40, and 45. Which one is going to penetrate the propane bottle first? I will give you a clue, it isn't the .45.

I will continue to carry my .45, 9mm or even ..380 each one when the circumstances and place I go dictate. All of them will kill you if I hit what I am aiming for.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well that all makes sense, since the .45 has more mass and energy, therefore will transfer more of it into the plates. A simple look at any ballistics chart or some simple calculations would give the same results.

Here is one for you though. Get a 20lb propane bottle and shoot at it will the same calibers weapons the 9mm, 40, and 45. Which one is going to penetrate the propane bottle first? I will give you a clue, it isn't the .45.

I will continue to carry my .45, 9mm or even ..380 each one when I the circumstances and place I go dictate. All of them will kill you if I hit what I am aiming for.
    Your right, but what people forget is not to kill as such, it's to stop the attack, with people high on drugs.By the way I carry 45-acp, I saw what can happen with 9mm's hitting a 90lb man high on drugs in the chest one time and two in the gut. He was still shooting and trying to kill from 15 to 20 sec's later.The key is to stop the fight.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Tally,

Would you mind posting the source location link or name of the article your read regarding the morgue person.
    I'd like to read it as well.

Thank you,

- Quincy, M.E.
    I remember reading a thread that sounds like this (maybe on rec.guns). Turns out the guy wasn't near as credible as he made himself out to be and went back in his hole under the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    If you shoot smaller caliber weapons, use the biggest heaviest bullet you can buy for that caliber.
    I am not a bullet/ballistics/expansion/damage expert kind of fella, but this appears to be an unfounded conclusion and generalization that might be misunderstood by some readers.

I think the grain weight of the bullet should be based on the the barrel length, the powder load, and several other factors beyond my ken. I don't think the 9 mm 147gr performance is always better, and in fact, may be worse than the 115 gr and the 124 gr 9 mm dependent on the gun shot from (barrel length). Having said that though, I don't know the answer, other than that appeared to be a overly simplified answer.

Any help here guys?

Senior Moderator
    Any help here guys
    Sure.

So as not to get into the age old debate and endless argument of bullet weight,speed,performance, no matter what you shoot, just keep shooting until the threat ceases.

Better to be safe than sorry. When in doubt, keep shooting till its over.

See?..nice and easy to remember.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sure.

So as not to get into the age old debate and endless argument of bullet weight,speed,performance, no matter what you shoot, just keep shooting until the threat ceases.

Stay armed...
    9mm
    ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sure.

Yes! You the man!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You too, but HG beat ya to it.......

Thanks fellas. I was hunting for some highfallutin superduper secret report, but ya fixed it. Thank you!

I love HotGuns reply. That is it!

I am of the mind that it is penetration depth and expansion of the bullet gets to the ".. keep shooting until its over" part quicker. Since no human has an exoskeleton of steel plate toughness, I'll be happy with the 9mm in a good JHP design. When out in the woods, I'll be happy with the 10mm (for better penetration on 4 legged creatures).

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Along with the 45acp, you should try full house 10mm-200 grain.
    What I was gonna say. Just recently started using 10mm (not carrying yet) and holy crap!! There actually is a noticeable difference between it and the service calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    I love HotGuns reply. That is it!

I am of the mind that it is penetration depth and expansion of the bullet gets to the ".. keep shooting until its over" part quicker. Since no human has an exoskeleton of steel plate toughness, I'll be happy with the 9mm in a good JHP design. When out in the woods, I'll be happy with the 10mm (for better penetration on 4 legged creatures).
    Pretty much where I'm at. The shootability, capacity, and recorded stops being pretty good with 9mm will keep me carrying it. Although I do love my G20.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links