Eye Opener

This is a discussion on Eye Opener within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the range yesterday playing with a few guns. I set up 4 steelpoppers just for fun after I finished sighting in and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Opener

Eye Opener

I was at the range yesterday playing with a few guns. I set up 4 steelpoppers just for fun after I finished sighting in and practicing. I set them hard (all the way forward) so I would not have to reset them. .38 and 9mm of all weights did not knock them over - just rocked them a little. .40's in 165 gr knocked one over and rocked them harder. .40's in 180gr knocked them over about 40% to 50% of them time. .45's in 230 knocked them over about 70+% of the time.
    I always liked stuff that started with .4 but the .45 acp really amazed me even after 40+ years of shooting. It still ROCKS! I am sure bullet design helps in PD but it appears that bullet design and a .45 cal should win.
    I still carry a 9mm when needed and a .40 for the size of the weapon but nothing is going to replace my .45's for real social occurances.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

One good reason why I don't need my 45acp pistol to be hi-cap. 8+1 with extra mag for the outside possibilities.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I just read a 45 page long article written by a police officer who also works in a morgue. His findings lead him to believe that .45acp is the most damaging round in almost all cases. Because of its sheer weight the bullet tends to plow its way through hard tissue and bone with less deflection, which allows the bullet to reach the vital organs we aimed at. Smaller bullets tend to delfect off of bone and hard mass and may travel into areas that contain less or no vitals.

People who like to tell us .45acp guys that we have some kind of "size envy" are simply being naieve. Bigger is better in ALL calibers.

If you shoot smaller caliber weapons, use the biggest heaviest bullet you can buy for that caliber.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I just read a 45 page long article written by a police officer who also works in a morgue. His findings lead him to believe that .45acp is the most damaging round in almost all cases. Because of its sheer weight the bullet tends to plow its way through hard tissue and bone with less deflection, which allows the bullet to reach the vital organs we aimed at. Smaller bullets tend to delfect off of bone and hard mass and may travel into areas that contain less or no vitals.

People who like to tell us .45acp guys that we have some kind of "size envy" are simply being naieve. Bigger is better in ALL calibers.

If you shoot smaller caliber weapons, use the biggest heaviest bullet you can buy for that caliber.
    Hmphh! I would have to question a 'study' that places .45 as the most damaging round in all cases. Seems like .50 would be up there somewhere...or how about 30.06.

It's a handgun. It's not magic. Shoot 'em fast, and shoot 'em as often as needed.

FWIW, you're right about the steel plates. I got to embarass myself with some steal plates and a timer. Turns out, 9mm just did not cut it. But to paraphrase an old saying...I've never been attacked by steal plates.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Evidently size does matter. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Was there any difference in JHP and Ball?

Wow! .45 knocked them over 70% of the time! My seven year old with one finger could push over every one 100% of the time. I bet you could do it with a thrown baseball too. Would that make my son or a baseball more combat effective than the .45?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member

Eye Opener

paul45:
    I have seen the same type of performance.
    I've been out pl inking and shooting some metal trash and seen .32 cal bullets bounce off, then go back and shoot .45 acp and first rnd gets a hole and the next rnd it is broke off and gone.

Along with the 45acp, you should try full house 10mm-200 grain.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    Shooting steel plates is pretty apparent that the .45 hits hard.
    A 9MM barely moves the ones we've got.

The 10 MM absolutey leaves no doubt that it was hit.

Even so, having seen people shot dead with a 9mm I cant argue that it works.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Shooting steel plates is pretty apparent that the .45 hits hard.
    A 9MM barely moves the ones we've got.

The 10 MM absolutey leaves no doubt that it was hit.

Even so, having seen people shot dead with a 9mm I cant argue that it works.
    But so can a 22LR.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    But so can a 22LR
    Yep.
    But it dont move steel like a .45 does...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Big is not always better...it boils down to how you use it. One may have the biggest cannon...but can't hit the barn door.

From a LEO perspective...I can see. From a concealed perspective...too big.

Rick

JD
    Administrator
    Well, it really depends on the mass of the plate.

I took my HK P7 on vacation with me and I faired very well on the smaller plates, one hit would drop them. On the larger plates a double tap would do the job.

Theoretically, in a real shootout, we're going to shoot more than once as we all know that there is almost no such luck of a one shot stop, so I think two hits to drop a steel plate is no concern.

Regarding plates and such, I was clearing the plate rack with my P7 quicker than I was with my cousins TRP. (this was the smaller plates where one shot would drop the plate)

As always, your mileage may vary.

I have read some much stuff on bullet design and upset etc. I just amnot smart enought to know which exact design is the best and works. But my little EYE OPENER says go with anything with .40 or bigger. A revolver round may work better but all I tried were some of my carry guns and a large mix of 9mm, .40, .45 and some .38 (2 and 4 inch). The big bullets regardless of design worked better on steel and knock down than small bullets regardless of design. I am sure there is data (I have read it) that says smaller bullets of proper design are almost as good as bigger bullets of proper design.
    I was impress by the .40 and especially the .45acp. I forgot have potent a round it really is.
    Let the debate being!!!!!!!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Moderator
    If you are ever attacked by steel plates, then the ability of the .45 to knock them over better than 9mm comes into play.

Most of us, though, are more likely to come under threat from living opponents.....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links