Ammo Suggestions For HK USPc 9mm

This is a discussion on Ammo Suggestions For HK USPc 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, What kind of ammo are the HK owners using? I'm looking for something to use on the range and then maybe something a bit ...

Hi,

What kind of ammo are the HK owners using? I'm looking for something to use on the range and then maybe something a bit fancier for EDC ammo.

Are there any ammo's to avoid w/ the HKs?

Thanks
    Glock 19

I have two HK's. A USP40 and a P2000. I have yet to put anything through them that they would not feed. For practice, I just buy whatever is cheapest. For protection I was using Gold Dots, but recently switched to Winchester Rangers. I think anything you are comfortable with protecting your life will be fine.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I have two HK's. A USP40 and a P2000. I have yet to put anything through them that they would not feed. For practice, I just buy whatever is cheapest. For protection I was using Gold Dots, but recently switched to Winchester Rangers. I think anything you are comfortable with protecting your life will be fine.
    +1 Both my USP's have yet to have A problem, same ammo
    Cheap practice, 155 rangers(.40) (500+lbs)for carry.
    I would stay with the rangers or HST's in your 9
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In my USPc 9mm, I use the cheapest ammo I can find for practice; I've never had problems with anything (reloads, Wolf, WWB, whatever). For protection, I carry Corbon 115gr.

For range and IDPA I use Winchester 115 gr. FMJ Value Pak (WWB=Winchester White Box). Get it at Wally World for $18.47 per hundred rounds.

For cc Federal Hydra Shok or Remington Golden Sabre JHPs, which ever is on sale.

Your new 'baby' has a polygonal barrel which is going to get you better accuracy and more muzzle velocity but the trade off is that you mustn't shoot unjacketed lead ammo.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

jam
    I have a 45 but I'll still throw in my two cents. I have never had my gun fail to fire any ammo I put in it. (the only thing I've never tried is wolf and obviously lead bullets are a no no). I was using golden saber and then recently switched to black hills. Black hills has a good rep and you can even get reloaded Hollow point ammo for practice.

The only thing I've noticed with my full sized hk is with my mag springs. while my gun was a safe queen before I got it, the gun is 10 years old and I put some of the mag springs issues on that. However, my 10 round mags were causing failure to feed.

In my new P30 9mm I use MagSafe in the carry mag and will as long as I live in South Florida. Why? Thin clothing won't cause prefrangible ammo to rupture before it does the job. The side benefit is a total lack of ricochet. When we move after retirement in a few years, I'll switch to CorBon DPX or Winchester 124gr +P in all mags.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    For range and IDPA I use Winchester 115 gr. FMJ Value Pak (WWB=Winchester White Box). Get it at Wally World for $18.47 per hundred rounds.

Damn man, I am paying $26 for 40 S&W at its $30 for .45. I believe its $22-23 for 9mm.

I shot alot of Magtec through my USPc. I fed it FMJ and their hollow points without a hickup. WWB shoots great as well for me. Just a bit dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    ...Your new 'baby' has a polygonal barrel which is going to get you better accuracy and more muzzle velocity but the trade off is that you mustn't shoot unjacketed lead ammo.
    Glock says the same thing about their barrels, but I haven't seen or heard HK actually say that. Where'd you get that info?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    Glock says the same thing about their barrels, but I haven't seen or heard HK actually say that. Where'd you get that info?
    The USP manual does not specifically say no unjacketed ammo. If you can find factory produced, unjacketed ammo, then your in business. It does warn against steel and aluminum cased ammo, and as all other gun makers do, they warn against reloads. It does say +P and +P+ ammo is approved, but will accelerate wear and increase failure rates.

HK does warn against using lead bullets in the P7 series. It is a major No-No in these pistols because of the gas system used and in bold print says JACKETED ammo only.

My HKs have been reliable with all ammo, but for one instance using MagTech solid copper HP. This ammo did not seat properly in the chamber, both in my HK Elite and a Kahr. Both of which have polygonal barrels.

For practice I use cheap whatever, usually what I get at Walmart or a gun show. For my CCWs, I've landed on the Hornady TAP brand because I get very good accuracy, the XTP bullet is a tried and respected performer, and for the low flash characteristic. Most any high quality ammo will suffice though I think.

Right, I never found it in the manuals for either my USPf9 or my P2K9. I did see it plenty of times on www.hkpro.com , the H&K forum. Unfortunately, the web site seems to be down now else I would have found the exact links for you.

I'd seen it there too...which is why I called HK myself. HK said that the whole thing was total hogwash, and that while lead can foul the barrel worse than copper, it's certainly not "un-recommended" for use in their guns. HAVING SAID THAT, if it worries you, I suggest you call HK USA (205-655-8299) and ask them yourself.

I shoot a USPc 9mm and I use Winchester White Box at the range and 124gr Federal HST for EDC.

I've gone through lots of SD ammo and I the HST has groups best so far.

I'd seen it there too...which is why I called HK myself. HK said that the whole thing was total hogwash, and that while lead can foul the barrel worse than copper, it's certainly not "un-recommended" for use in their guns. HAVING SAID THAT, if it worries you, I suggest you call HK USA (205-655-8299) and ask them yourself.
    Thanks. Just goes to show you not to take everything you see on the internet as Gospel.

Links