.357Mag "Light" loads?

.357Mag "Light" loads?

This is a discussion on .357Mag "Light" loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to know what brands of ammo are "light loads" for the .357mag? Also, what is the mildest 38special load (none +p), it would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357Mag "Light" loads?

.357Mag "Light" loads?

I wanted to know what brands of ammo are "light loads" for the .357mag?

Also, what is the mildest 38special load (none +p), it would be interesting to compare several loads in snuby.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I really don't know of any manufacturer making particularly light .357 Magnum loads.

However, it could be argued that the only difference between a "light" .357 load and a run of the mill .38 Special load is the type of brass (.357 brass is obviously a bit longer).

You can simply compare the bullet weight and velocity from different manufacturer's ammo and see who produces the "lightest" loads.
    I can tell you this: It won't be CorBon, Doubletap, or Black Hills

Good luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Rem Golden Saber 125 gr 357 is "midload". Averages little over 1100 fps out of 2" barrel. WWB 130 gr fmj 38sp is pretty mild load.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    Rem Golden Saber 125 gr 357 is "midload". Averages little over 1100 fps out of 2" barrel. WWB 130 gr fmj 38sp is pretty mild load.
    Will look for both in at Walmart... WWB is dirty ammo though, at lest in 45 and 9mm...
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

If you want something lighter than 357 magnum then shoot 38SPEC+P,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You'll probably have to buy GS at gunshop or online unless your wal mart different from mine. Think they have a Rem 38sp loaded about the same as WWB.

i know there is "low recoil" ammo, but the fmj winchester makes in 110g is about the lightest stuff. It's target practice fmj. box of 50 for $27.00.

VIP Member
    I've read where the low recoil ammo is not good ammo to carry. I'm no expert, but I read that not long ago.
    I'm not crazy about the +P in my 642. I got the Winchester Silvertip 110 grain HP. Suppose to have good expansion in a snubby....

VIP Member
    Remington Golden Saber 125-grain .357 Magnum would be about the lightest I would know about....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

In general, a "cowboy" load will be a lighter load. Magtech makes a .357 load with a 158 gr. SWC at about 1000 fps.

Speer Gold Dot .357 "short barrel" (135gr. easy opening hollow points at about 1000 fps from a "snubbie"). Low light flash powder formulated to burn faster than most powders.

You get considerably more velocity as you increase muzzle length. No reason why they shouldn't be used in any barrel length gun.

I shoot this is my S&W 340 M&P at 13 oz. No big deal at all, although I use 130 gr. regular .38's for practice.

The same "Short Barrel" Gold Dot's in Speer's .38+p kick less.

One could easily make the argument that the speed of these cmparatively mild .357's would be duplicated with most manufacturers +p's (certainly by the "hotter" loads in +p). However I need them for the very short barrel of my gun. It's hard to beat the "Gold Dot" projectiles. Pretty well proven.

Therefore these give me two choices of power in a round with easy opening Gold Dots and low flash powder that pretty much burns up in my short 340.

Low Recoil

Federal lists a 130gr Hydra Shok as a "Low Recoil" load, but the performance numbers look pretty close to the full power stuff.
    Federal Premium Ballistics
    My personal preference is for the Gold Saber in a lighter .357 load, and the 125gr full power JHP from Federal or Remington for more power.

Superhouse 15

S0 - are you a firefighter?

31 years Portland, Oregon Fire Bureau retired!

MARV

+1 on Golden Saber

GS are slightly downloaded. My other favorite .357 was the Remington 357M1 which was a 125gr SJHP. I haven't seen it in a while but it was a good round.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Federal lists a 130gr Hydra Shok as a "Low Recoil" load, but the performance numbers look pretty close to the full power stuff.
    Federal Premium Ballistics
    My personal preference is for the Gold Saber in a lighter .357 load, and the 125gr full power JHP from Federal or Remington for more power.
    recoil is cause by a number of factors, velocity need not be one of them.

by using a slower burning powder the sharpness of the recoil can be dampened while still providing similar muzzle velocity. I know it doesn't seem like much but adding a few thousands of a second to the burn time makes for more of an extended push, than a snap back.

to be clear. Using 9 gr of Unique will have more recoil than using 8 gr of Unique and will have a higher velocity. But by using a slower burning powder with the same end velocity may create a lesser perception of recoil. Thus "low recoil" but very similar velocities and energies.

Hope that made sense and helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links