Winchester Ranger-Premium Ammo?

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger-Premium Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been hearing more and more about the Winchester Ranger (Law Enforcement) ammunition. This past Monday I went to my local gun shop and found ...

Thread: Winchester Ranger-Premium Ammo?

Winchester Ranger-Premium Ammo?

I've been hearing more and more about the Winchester Ranger (Law Enforcement) ammunition. This past Monday I went to my local gun shop and found some of this in 40 S&W. My question is-is this stuff considered premium ammo? Like my favorite Remington Golden Saber which comes in a 20 round box for like $21.99, I bought the box of Ranger subsonic 180gr 40S&W at $18.99 for a box of 50. Was this a good price, or did I get the wrong ammunition from what everyone is raving about?

2. Remove Ads

I would say you got a heck of a deal there, my brother in law who is a cop, carries the same ammo. Stock up on some more before your gun shop runs out!
    Last edited by crzy4guns; June 19th, 2008 at 09:13 AM.
    God bless our troops!

I'll probably hit them again next week. Thing is, all they have it in is the 40S&W. I'd like some 9mm to try as well. I don't order ammo on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'll probably hit them again next week. Thing is, all they have it in is the 40S&W. I'd like some 9mm to try as well. I don't order ammo on the internet.
    I have used it in my 40. I have their ammo for my 9mm (124+P). SCGunGuy on this forum sells the ammo. You can ping him to get some prices and also some more info on the winchester ammo.

I believe the stuff everyone raves about is the "Ranger Talon"; however, the entire Ranger line is quite good.

Its a well manufactured 180 grain .40 S&W JHP.

You don't really have much to worry about other than insuring it feeds and is accurate in your gun.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You got a great deal. The Ranger T is the talon version. What you got is not the Talon version but still a great bullet at a super price.

Go buy a lot more of that stuff.

That is a great price.

Do it before the guy realizes what 50 round boxes of ammo REALLY go for. I paid $32 for 50 rounds of Black Hills 115 gr EXP on Tuesday.

.40S&W was going for more.

If you leave any on the shelf, you will kick yourself in the future. Ammo doesn't go bad if storred correctly, and JHP will NOT be coming down in price any time soon, if ever.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    IIRC there was a big release of Factory Seconds on .40 Ranger ammo. IIRC it was the 155 grain there may have been some 180, I use to see it in the CDNN catalogs for like 12.99 for 50 all the time advertising it as either a Government overrun or ammo that had some quality control issues. I bought a box. I never had a problem with it. Infact It cut a Jack Rabbit in half at about 10 yards out of my G23, when I was hunting praire dogs in NM..
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    The stuff I bought was RA40T. It uses the SXT or "Talon" bullet. I believe the stuff you got uses a different bullet, but I'm sure it's still good stuff. I've seen .40 Rangers @ Cabela's for $14.99 a box of 50. I get the RA40T (180gr) and the RA40TA (165gr) for $22 to $25 a box.

I haven't had a single malfunction shooting this ammo. When I go to the range, I usually fire off a couple mags of it before changing to reloads or Blazers/WWB. I've noticed the Ranger stuff seems to recoil less and shoot tighter groups. I do like it a lot.

I think "premium" is a word manufactures use to jack up the price. Federal Premium Personal Defense is about a buck a round in .45. Federal Law Enforcement HST is half that price. IMHO, the HST is better ammo.

AmmunitionToGo has .40S&W 180gr. Federal LE HST $ 22.95 50rds.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    The stuff I bought was RA40T. It uses the SXT or "Talon" bullet. I believe the stuff you got uses a different bullet, but I'm sure it's still good stuff. I've seen .40 Rangers @ Cabela's for $14.99 a box of 50. I get the RA40T (180gr) and the RA40TA (165gr) for $22 to $25 a box.

I haven't had a single malfunction shooting this ammo. When I go to the range, I usually fire off a couple mags of it before changing to reloads or Blazers/WWB. I've noticed the Ranger stuff seems to recoil less and shoot tighter groups. I do like it a lot.
    Thanks. And to the rest of you guys that posted the links and stuff. I guess it was the T ammo I was thinking about but this was a good price anyway. I won't be to the range until Monday or Tuesday, but I might pick up some more before then anyway and I'll be looking for the Talons and 9mm also. I have two excellent gun shops within a mile of each other to check and ask.

Links