Disposing of Damaged Ammo

This is a discussion on Disposing of Damaged Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just opened a box of American Eagle XM193 ammo for my AR-15. I've found that the side of the box was somehow crushed and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposing of Damaged Ammo

I just opened a box of American Eagle XM193 ammo for my AR-15. I've found that the side of the box was somehow crushed and it appears to have damaged several of the rounds (see the attached photo).

Obviously these rounds are unusable. My question is, how do I dispose of them safely? I can't just throw them in the trash--can I?

Brian
    Attached Images

You can use a kinetic bullet puller or call the local police department and most will dispose of it for you.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Ditto on the bullet puller. Save the bullets for someone who reloads, use the gunpowder to fertilize your house plants or tomatoes and throw the rest in the trash unless you save scrap brass which goes for $1.35 a pound here. If you don't have a puller, you could very carefully cut the neck of the case off with diagonal side cutters (below the base of the projectile) and pour out the powder.

if the bullets are sealed good luck on the bullet puller,take a pair of pliers grasp the bullet and pry side to side loosening the case mouth then pull the bullet out and remove the powder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks guys. I don't have a bullet puller, so I guess I'll try a pair of pliers. If that doesn't work I'll call the local PD and ask them.

Brian

Just be careful whatever you do.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Just be careful whatever you do.
    Agreed. Be very careful with pliers around primers. So careful as to keep pliers away from primers completely. Just my .02.

I'd stick with the bullet puller or the local P.D. But then again, you wouldn't be the first person to throw ammo in the trash.

You can also soak them in a super-penetrating lubricant and then throw them away.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Agreed. Be very careful with pliers around primers. So careful as to keep pliers away from primers completely. Just my .02.

I'd stick with the bullet puller or the local P.D. But then again, you wouldn't be the first person to throw ammo in the trash.

You can also soak them in a super-penetrating lubricant and then throw them away.
    As in, "Don't put pressure on the primer with the pliers, lest the round go off"--right?

Brian

How about clamping the round in a vise, where is is necked. Squeeze it slightly then pull the bullet out with pliers. Or if you have a smaller vise, clamp the bullet end and bend/twist the case off.

Warning, I have not tried this and I am not a loader, it was just a thought.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    How about clamping the round in a vise, where is is necked. Squeeze it slightly then pull the bullet out with pliers. Or if you have a smaller vise, clamp the bullet end and bend/twist the case off.

Warning, I have not tried this and I am not a loader, it was just a thought.
    Hey... don't be giving my husband (Benthic) ideas! I like him and my house in their current configurations!
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    As in, "Don't put pressure on the primer with the pliers, lest the round go off"--right?

Brian
    With those rounds, you could probably use bolt cutters or just about anything else if you wanted to. Just don't take a hammer and start banging on the primers and don't compress the primer.

Also, wear safety glasses.

But seriously, considering they are damaged, I would just drop them off at the local PD or soak them in penetrant for a day or so then throw them away.

Who is John Galt?

Just hold the case in your hand and use the pliers on the bullet tip ,I have pulled many rifle bullets like that ,pliers won't even be near the primer.I reload thousands of rounds a year and have a pretty good idea what i'm doing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Toss it in the burn barrel ... Problem solved.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Toss it in the burn barrel ... Problem solved.
    City slickers don't try this at home! LOL! Not long ago I had a conversation with the family about throwing their used camera batteries in the burn trash. They do go off and the inside part does become a projectile and leaves only the shell of the battery behind.

Mythbusters heated up bullets in an oven and the case was what caused the hardest impact but it's not a good idea due to you don't know where the shrapnels going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links