Frangible ammo - mixed mag?

This is a discussion on Frangible ammo - mixed mag? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In order to have increased safety (from richochets or wall penetration), I had been looking into frangible ammo for my .380. I had been leaning ...

Thread: Frangible ammo - mixed mag?

In order to have increased safety (from richochets or wall penetration), I had been looking into frangible ammo for my .380. I had been leaning toward glasers.

After reading many opinions on and off the forum, I realize that these don't have the penetration required for a one or two shot stop.

My question is this... What if I loaded two glasers first, and loaded the rest JHP? This way if two frangible shots don't stop an intruder, then you have 4 more non-frangible shots as backup.

Is this a good idea, or am I all wet?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sometimes if you don't stop him with the first couple shots he may return fire killing you,I wouldn't worry too much about over penetration with a 380.In fact most people shoot FMJ instead of JHP to make sure they get enough penetration
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't know if I would use the frangibles with a .380. I do use two frangibles, one in the pipe and one at the top of the magazine and Corbon DPX for the rest of the rounds with my 9 mm Hipower. I have shot this repeatedly and haven't found any feeding problem. From what I have read, I am satisfied with the stopping power of frangibles on most (90%+) people. If the frangibles don't stop the person with the first two shots, probably no other round would have either.

Senior Moderator
    I think people worry too much about over penetration and not nearly enough about under penetration.

I do not use frangible bullets, I want to make sure my rounds penetrate to hit vital organs and stop the attack.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Use Gold Dots, Hornady XTP loads, Corbon, etc., rather than ball. Shot placement is king, but a bit of velocity and expansion isn't bad; "they all get pissed with hardball." Don't make the BG mad. Either take away his pain, or give him what he wants. Punching holes just makes it harder for him to run from the cops, and he might leak on them when they catch him.

Links