Steel cased ammo

Steel cased ammo

This is a discussion on Steel cased ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to get some experts thoughts on steel cased ammo. Does it really damage a chamber?...

Steel cased ammo

I'd like to get some experts thoughts on steel cased ammo. Does it really damage a chamber?

Senior Moderator
    Many countries use steel ammo.

It has been said that the steel is more abrasive than the brass and over a period of time it scratches the chambers to the point of making extraction difficult. The countrys that use it, generally have larger chambers than we do to allow for this...but its a trade off. It makes the gun more reliable, but less accurate.

Gazillions of rounds have been imported here oer the years, mostly from Russia and China. Some of it is copper plated, to keep it from rusting and others are coated with enamel.
    Most of it is Berdan primed, so unless you are a die-hard reloader, it cant be reloaded without a whole lot of effort...more than its worth really.

I have shot thousands of rounds though my AK's and SKS's with no hint of damage as well as some 9MM and .45.

Since I clean my guns after shooting each one, I dont worry about it so much.

It can be hard on extractors over a period of time, because it is steel on steel rather than brass on steel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm probably in the minority but I've never used it and don't plan on it.

I have an AR15 upper in 7.62x29,I bought it when ammo was 69.00 1000 rounds,I get fairly decent accuracy but my chamber is tight enough that i tend to get cases stuck that won't extract after firing which is why i carry a small screwdriver to pry back on the bolt carrier group to free it up and eject,I haven't noticed a lot of wear and tear but i've put less than 2000 rounds thru it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Bought some 45, 9mm & 380 in the past. Only autos I could get to feed them were the 45 1911s. Gunked up mags pretty bad. Don't use them anymore.

A few years back Wolf was lacquer coated, it tended to coat chambers, and was a mess, now the stuff is Polly coated and is as clean as any white box, n they use a real mild soft steel so chamber wear is not an issue either.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Mine was bought several years ago. WWB is cheaper than Wolf around here? Probably still some good deals online?l

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I'm probably in the minority but I've never used it and don't plan on it.
    Neither do I, county of origin also plays to my decision.

I have fired tons of Wolf .223 from my Bushy, failure free. Can't get it around here anymore.

I started buying Silver Bear in .223 and .308 for my PTR91. So far, I've put 1200 rounds of it through the AR and 1500 through the PTR. I had one stuck case in the PTR, after firing several hundred rounds in one afternoon. Chamber was pretty dirty... a quick scrub, and it was running perfectly again.

I keep hearing that it's hard on the extractors, but after several thousand rounds, my original extractor is still functioning normally. I keep a spare extractor for the AR in my shooting bag, just in case. I figure I'm way ahead in terms of costs by shooting the cheap steel cased ammo even if I do have to replace the extractor. They're only a few bucks, and easy to replace.

To each their own. If I didn't shoot the cheap ammo, I wouldn't be able to shoot nearly the quantity I do. I'll keep shooting it, as long as it's available.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Links