45cal man stopper that Jim Cirillo used

This is a discussion on 45cal man stopper that Jim Cirillo used within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know the story behind these bullets? 45 cal .452 MAN STOPPERs 260 Grain--for revolvers only at Northwest Custom Projectile Supposedly Jim Cirillo used them ...

Thread: 45cal man stopper that Jim Cirillo used

45cal man stopper that Jim Cirillo used

Anyone know the story behind these bullets?
    45 cal .452 MAN STOPPERs 260 Grain--for revolvers only at Northwest Custom Projectile

Supposedly Jim Cirillo used them in his 1911 as the chambered round. The manstopper name apparently lived up to it according to Jim.

photo added qks

2. Remove Ads

I would say do to the shape is the reason they are for revolvers only,since they probably don't feed in semi autos reliably.If you want a 260 grain bullet in your 45 they do make a JHP that you can load in a 45 acp
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Looks like a .45 Colt (aka Long Colt) cartridge to me, not .45 ACP. They definitely would not chamber in anything chambered for .45 ACP. I also think that bullet profile, while fine a a revolver, would not likely feed well in a semi-automatic. 260-grain weights are not rare in .45 Colt, but would be heavy in a .45 ACP.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Looks like a .45 Colt (aka Long Colt) cartridge to me, not .45 ACP. They definitely would not chamber in anything chambered for .45 ACP. I also think that bullet profile, while fine a a revolver, would not likely feed well in a semi-automatic. 260-grain weights are not rare in .45 Colt, but would be heavy in a .45 ACP.
    The heavier bullet is not a standard load in 45 acp but they do show load data in the 45 acp for a 260 grn JHP I'm betting it's got a pretty stout recoil
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The heavier bullet is not a standard load in 45 acp but they do show load data in the 45 acp for a 260 grn JHP I'm betting it's got a pretty stout recoil
    Agreed. It wouldn't be my first choice....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Looks like a variation of the old HBWC loaded backwards advocated by folks like Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jorden back in 60s. Used to load them in 38 & 357 before good jhps came out. Only problem was some bullet brands would hit sideways out of short barrel.

In my younger day, when I was in college and worked at a late night convenience store, my apartment mates and I used to load 38 hollow based wadcutters backwards as short range defensive rounds. Never had to use them though.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Post Man-Stopper Stuff

Hello,
    My name is John Buchanan of Buchanan Ammunition. The cartridge in the photo is a .45 Colt+P. The bullet is the 260gr. NwCP Man-Stopper. In this loading it has a velocity of 1300fps. This bullet is not designed for the auto loader, it is for revolvers and single shots only. It is sometimes used in the .45 Auto Rim and .45 ACP with moon clips for revolvers also. The version of this bullet for the auto loader is called the Scorpion. It is the same bullet, ran through a point form die, and it will feed in the auto loader. NwCP also makes the Wood Shed bullet that has a rebated boat tail and truncated nose. It comes in 260gr and 300gr and will function in the auto loader. With a heavy spring kit, these heavy rebated bullets have truly amazing penetration. At 900fps (out of the Colt) it is not uncommon to see 10 feet of penetration in the water trough. Of course at these low velocities the Wood Shed is not an expanding bullet.
    Thanks,
    John Buchanan

Cirillo's early designs were along the lines of the Pin Grabbers (as in bowling pins). The problems he had noted were that conventional rounds hitting a hard skull or other bone often deflected, failing to stop. The goal was to create a round which would dig into the bone with a sharp edge, breaking it and continuing on its way. These rounds look to be the same idea. It was not so much the desire for expansion as it was to minimize deflection.

For autos the rounds used a plastic nose put onto a flat piece of lead with a groove cut through it. The plastic would come off easily , while allowing feeding) and the sharp edge of the round would "bite" any bone. The groove helped for expansion, which was a secondary concern.

Check out his book from Amazon to learn more.

Post Man Stopper Stuff

This Man Stopper design is based more on a bullet manufactured in the late 1800's for the Webley and similar cartridges. Most of these early projectiles were soft lead and later, half jackets. It is likely Cirillo took his design from these (though this is conjecture on my part, but the timing is good).
    John

VIP Member
    pcammo :
    Thanks, good info.

Cirillo RIP used a cup-point wadcutter made by Lee of super vel fame...nothing like the round in the pic.

Fuzzy from safestop used to work with cirillo on the safestop rounds and they made up a small batch of the cup faced sharp edge wadcutters....I still have a box.

Rounds in pics ,look like a old school hydrashock...to me.

Links