45ACP in a 3"barrel

This is a discussion on 45ACP in a 3"barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any advantage to hollow points vs.full metal jacket in my Taurus PT145 with a 3"barrel?I've heard that hollow points out of short barrels ...

Thread: 45ACP in a 3"barrel

45ACP in a 3"barrel

Is there any advantage to hollow points vs.full metal jacket in my Taurus PT145 with a 3"barrel?I've heard that hollow points out of short barrels don't always expand.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I would rely first on shot placement. I wouldn't want to be shot with a .45 of any kind myself; 3" barrel or longer. But I would carry hollow points anyway just in case I could get any expansion on it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

They don't always expand from longer barrels either. Expansion is gravy but isn't the "do-all and end-all" of handgun effectiveness. A well placed shot with a .45 is about as good as it gets with a handgun and poor hits won't cut it. Only my view but I'd be happy and confident to have your pistol loaded up with 230 grain bullets in the event of a self-defense need and I wouldn't fret about expansion either. If it happens, great! If not then it's still a .45.

I shoot federal HST+P 230 grn JHP bullets out of a 3.5" barrel I'm pretty sure they will expand as they are suppose to if the hollowpoint becomes plugged from clothing drywall etc. and it doesn't expand then I got a FMJ round I prefer to carry a round that more likely than not will expand,if your not sure about expansion shoot into a wetpack of newspapers and rtetrieve the bullet I bet it expanded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the replies,that's what I thought,but it's nice to know I wasn't alone in my thinking.

I have small pocket .45 and the ball ammo feeds better, very smooth. The JHP rounds would FTE every now and then, plus a JHP would just feel rough when I hand-cycled in the first round. The ball ammo makes me much more comfortable with pocket carry and now I usually carry with empty chamber - as I am so confident that the ball ammo will cycle first round properly. I practice draw and cycle quite a bit and never had any problems loading the ball ammo.

I really love the intimidation factor of the .45 muzzle, it's noticeably larger than a 9mm. Hopefully, that alone would deter a BG and no shots would need to be fired, as I have absolutely no ambition to ever fire a gun in anger.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Speer gold dot makes rounds specifically for short barrels. they are made to get up to the velocity needed to expand in 3 inches. thats what i use. they are great.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I have small pocket .45 and the ball ammo feeds better, very smooth. The JHP rounds would FTE every now and then, plus a JHP would just feel rough when I hand-cycled in the first round. The ball ammo makes me much more comfortable with pocket carry and now I usually carry with empty chamber - as I am so confident that the ball ammo will cycle first round properly. I practice draw and cycle quite a bit and never had any problems loading the ball ammo.

I really love the intimidation factor of the .45 muzzle, it's noticeably larger than a 9mm. Hopefully, that alone would deter a BG and no shots would need to be fired, as I have absolutely no ambition to ever fire a gun in anger.

-
    If you pull a gun you better be ready to shoot,don't expect a BG to be intimidated by a gun he will probably just shoot you first,especially since you have to take the time to chamber a round in the barrel before you can shoot,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

dukalmighty is right. Unless you are completely prepared mentally to pull the trigger should the need arise, you are better off not carrying a firearm. Many street thugs have already been shot once, and most of them will not be intimidated in the least by someone with a gun.

I have no desire to shoot anyone, but I would not hesitate to use deadly force to stop a threat on my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    .....Unless you are completely prepared mentally to pull the trigger should the need arise, you are better off not carrying a firearm.......
    I agree, however, I believe I am fully capable of pulling the trigger, but I will first seek to AVOID the situation at all costs.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

apparently i didnt read the post all the way. ill agree with everyone else. first, dont carry if ur not willing to use it. 2nd, dont think that if someone sees your gun they are going to care, or even notice the muzzle size. they see a gun. they will either stop, or attack.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I agree, however, I believe I am fully capable of pulling the trigger, but I will first seek to AVOID the situation at all costs.
    As is easy to do in reading posts, I probably misunderstood your point. I fully agree with you, avoid using deadly force except as the last resort.

Back on topic, if the Federal HST 230gr will feed reliably in your firearm, it may offer the best chance for expansion.

It's a good idea to fire off a few hundred rounds of your carry ammo to make sure it feeds well. It ain't cheap but you don't want your gun to jam when you really need it.

The hollow point might expand, who knows. I'd carry it anyway.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

VIP Member

I agree with whyipackmy45

Whatever piece you carry, make sure it likes what you're feeding it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links