Another Stopping Power Question

This is a discussion on Another Stopping Power Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If two rounds had an identical powder charge, wouldn't the heavier bullet have a significant stopping power advantage?...

Thread: Another Stopping Power Question

If two rounds had an identical powder charge, wouldn't the heavier bullet have a significant stopping power advantage?

Well, if my memory of physics 101 serves me, having the same powder charge should propel the heavier bullet out more slowly.

and if Kinetic Energy still is 1/2mv^2, then the increase in mass, in most cases, won't make up for the loss in speed.

But then again, we don't live in a vacuum but that gives us a good idea about what is probably gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by iamnoone View Post
    Well, if my memory of physics 101 serves me, having the same powder charge should propel the heavier bullet out more slowly.

and if Kinetic Energy still is 1/2mv^2, then the increase in mass, in most cases, won't make up for the loss in speed.

But then again, we don't live in a vacuum but that gives us a good idea about what is probably gonna happen.
    Won't argue the physics formulas, but real live data doesn't bear out the statement. In the instances where I can find the same (or very close) charge weight used for varying bullet weights, the velocity for the heavier bullet if very close to the velocity of the lighter bullet but because of the larger mass, the energy would be more. Given same caliber, same bullet type, and same powder, you will rarely find data where the charge weights for two different weight bullets are the same. The heavier bullet generally will have a lower powder charge weight. The biggest reason for this is that more of the heavier bullet extends into the case reducing the combustion chamber volume and thus raising the pressures.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Won't argue the physics formulas, but real live data doesn't bear out the statement. In the instances where I can find the same (or very close) charge weight used for varying bullet weights, the velocity for the heavier bullet if very close to the velocity of the lighter bullet but because of the larger mass, the energy would be more. Given same caliber, same bullet type, and same powder, you will rarely find data where the charge weights for two different weight bullets are the same. The heavier bullet generally will have a lower powder charge weight. The biggest reason for this is that more of the heavier bullet extends into the case reducing the combustion chamber volume and thus raising the pressures.

Hoss
    This is probably true because the heavier bullets have lower acceleration causing a more complete and efficient powder burn in the chamber.

Sometimes physics and real life CAN get a long.

Sponsored Links