Need Recommendations For .380 Carry Ammo - Page 2

Need Recommendations For .380 Carry Ammo

This is a discussion on Need Recommendations For .380 Carry Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm using either Buffalo Bore or Double Tap 90 gr. Gold Dot at 1,000 fps from the shorty LCP barrel. I've shot both through my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendations For .380 Carry Ammo

GC
    I'm using either Buffalo Bore or Double Tap 90 gr. Gold Dot at 1,000 fps from the shorty LCP barrel. I've shot both through my LCP with zero issues. I'm leaning toward the Buffalo Bore loading simply because I have shot enough of that makers ammo in other guns to trust the quality. Though the Double Tap's price is tempting...

I recently saw a program on the Mongols. I noticed that all were very big, and some weighed probably 300 lbs. Although I doubt that I would ever have to shoot someone that large, it occurred to me that much less that about 11-12 inches penetration would be insufficient.

It almost calls for some hardball rounds in the magazine.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    I use Federal Premium Personal Defense 90-grain HSHP in my PPK/S. I choose it because the Walther design is older and was originally designed for 95-grain bullets at about 955 fps. Locally, the Golden Saber and the Winchester Ranger have good reputations in .380, but the Golden Saber is too hot in a steady diet (IMO) for the Walther, and the Winchester is not carried in the gun store I frequent.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

GC
    If you want a lot of penetration I'd look really hard at the Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hard cast flatpoint +P loading. I'd wager it will out penetrate any other .380 loading on the market.

VIP Member

Best ammo justification I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Gold Dots here.
    Used twice. Double Taps.
    Stopped the assailant.

Still use them.

AFS
    That's the best justification for an ammo choice I ever read. You can't argue with success.

Sorry that you needed to hurt someone, and I hope the aftermath went well for you in every possible way.

I've been told by more than one LEO that they like the Seller and Bellot hardball rounds for their 380s
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Ranger Review

I was going to start thread on my review of the .380 Rangers than saw this thread, so thought the review would fit in here. Hope it is helpful and some folks can answer some of my questions
    Based on my own tests, other peoples reviews and every test I have studied no .45 round performs as well as HST. So when we got the Bersa Thunder, Federal HST was what I wanted to use in it as well, but I could not find any .380 HST so I ordered the Winchester Rangers RA380T.
    Friday I received a couple of boxes of RA380T, 95gr Winchester Ranger .380 marked Law Enforcement Ammunition, from Ammunition To Go. It is worth mentioning that even though Ammunition To Go hit a glitch with my order it was still on my doorstep five days from date of order. I have always gotten good service from them. Anyway
    With only eight milk jugs saved up, I could only test four rounds. Using a Bersa Thunder shooting from fifteen feet into one gallon milk jugs filled with water. All appeared to penetrate equally, stopping inside the second jug without hitting the back side. Out of four rounds all but one separated. All mushroomed to varying degrees to less than the diameter of a dime. Out of the four only two had the "talons" or forward pointing prongs that Rangers are supposed to be renowned for. Even those two only had a single forward pointing prong. All had varying petal shapes, with one having no petals to speak off. Maybe my expectations were too high. Still I am under impressed. I found the inconstancy in size, shape and lack of "talons" to be disappointing. Maybe they are the best .380 ammo there is but I remain unconvinced / skeptical. For now it appears that my search for the ideal .380 SD round continues. Any insight on what a decent expansion size for a .380 should be along with any pics of other .380 rounds would be appreciated.

First three are the separated rounds, next is the round that remained intact last is a .45 HST just for comparison
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

When I had my bersa thunder 380. It was the golden sabres 102gr. I also use these in my xdsc 9mm with the 124gr +p. There the most accurate out of my xd so far.

Question to AFS. Wondering if you were using Gold Dots in your primary weapon(something larger than a .380) or were you using a .380 against these assailants?

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I typically carry gold dots in all my CCW weapons.
    When I was younger I typically carried a 1911. But if circumstances called for a deeper concealment there was the 380.
    At the time I needed a weapon the 380 was what I had with me both times.
    It's been my always gun for 30 years.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I typically carry gold dots in all my CCW weapons.
    When I was younger I typically carried a 1911. But if circumstances called for a deeper concealment there was the 380.
    At the time I needed a weapon the 380 was what I had with me both times.
    It's been my always gun for 30 years.

AFS
    I think a lot of folks start out with a 1911 for carry and wind up with a .380 or .38 snubby most of the time. Though it has been said time and time again, it bears repeating, the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun!

If I carried a .380 these days, I would go with the Double Tap or Buffalo Bore for carry and use generic ammo for practice. Just shoot the others once in a while and only enough to familiarize yourself with them.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Moderator
    I carry Hydro-Shoks in my .380
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Speer Gold dots in my Mustang, when I'm not carrying my Glock in .45.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sabers in my LCP. Hundreds of rounds, no jams. Good balance between penetration and expansion. Practice with Winchester white box because sabers are pricey.

After reading the results of quite a few penetration tests (gel, wet pack, etc) for the .380, and doing my own tests, I decided on a combination of Hydra Shocks and FMJ for my P-3AT, one Hydra Shock followed by two FMJ repeated twice for my 6 round mags. First round for shock and the other two for penetration to vitals.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links