What defensive ammo for PPS.

This is a discussion on What defensive ammo for PPS. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I new to the whole defensive ammo thing. In the Coast Guard we just use bullets that kill people , not that I want to ...

Thread: What defensive ammo for PPS.

What defensive ammo for PPS.

I new to the whole defensive ammo thing. In the Coast Guard we just use bullets that kill people , not that I want to do that to the BG, I just wat to stop the threat . So of out a tiny barrel, like the PPS, what ammo would you use. I like the HST and Powerball. Are they good choices? Who would the concensus be for the lil Walther. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Well I'm not exactly an expert on such things, but here's my opinion (for what it's worth).

For a defensive round you want a bullet that will deliver the most energy to your target, with the lowest risk of overpenetration. In my mind that means a quality hollowpoint. I'm also a fan of a lighter bullet travelling at a faster speed as opposed to a heavier, slower bullet. Of course you'll also need to try a few and see what you like, and what your gun likes.

Brian

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I personally use Speer Gold Dot +P 124 grain HP's. I use 165 grain in my .40. Many law enforcement agencies use them.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Federal LE HST

For a long time, I kept Remington Golden Sabers in all of my defensive handguns. I've just recently switched to the Winchester Ranger ammo for my 40 S&W Sig and my wife's 9mm PPS. In all honesty, I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand, modern hollow point ammo. It all boils down to what shoots and functions best out of your gun and what you feel comfortable with.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Year ago, when I was a deputy, I had a .45 Ruger DA for an off duty and personal carry weapon. I used Black Talon then, but I don't know if they are still around. they worked good at not overpenetrating and also they flowered out and created more cutting action than merely displacement/shock.

My thoughts on the issue are that most of the quality defensive ammo out today is going to do the job. Find the brand that your weapon feeds reliably, and stick with that one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I new to the whole defensive ammo thing. In the Coast Guard we just use bullets that kill people , not that I want to do that to the BG, I just wat to stop the threat . So of out a tiny barrel, like the PPS, what ammo would you use. I like the HST and Powerball. Are they good choices? Who would the concensus be for the lil Walther. Thanks in advance.
    Defensive ammo kills people as well
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Look and find out what your local police are using, then try it and if its works in your weapon use it. Also find out what the state police use and try that too. Its kinda a cya thing should you ever end up in court.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Speer makes a Gold Dot load specifically tailored for short barrels.

MidwayUSA - Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20

I carry these in my M&P 9c.

In the HST, I'd suggest the 124 Gr. +p loading. I just don't think a short barrel provides sufficient velocity for the 147s to expand.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Federal LE 147 HST either +p or non +p. Non +P with give you just a bit more penetration. Both expand excellent.

Any quality ammo, with the proper placement because let's face it, if you hit the bg in his/her(got to be politically correct these days) pinky toe it just won't do the job.
    So to conclude here, 1st. good quality ammo, 2nd (most important) proper placement, A .22 between the eyes would do it. practice, practice

Links