Defensive Carry banner

Winchester Winclean "duds"

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Shizzlemah 
#1 ·
I went to the range today (yeah!). Most of my shooting was done with my Glock 27. I shot 2 boxes Winchester Winclean FMJ, and a box of mixed Federal Hollowpoints (HST and Hydrashok). The bad part was that out of 100 Winclean rounds, 5 didn't go "boom". There is a clear mark where the firing pin hit. All the Federal rounds worked fine. I shot one or two boxes of Winclean in the past with no duds... is this something to be concerned about with my Glock? Or should I write it off as bad (cheap) ammo? Its my every day carry, so I want it to go "boom" rather then "click" when it has to. My current carry ammunition is Federal HST.

#2 ·
As long as your carry is reliable with your carry ammo, I wouldn't worry about practice ammo. Just make sure you keep up with the failures that you do have...i.e. same magazine, or second to last shell, or whatever. Just in case a pattern develops.

IMO, if the only malfunctions you had were from one box of ammo, I would definitely blame the ammo over anything else.

#3 ·
did you try running the rounds through a second time,sometimes it could be hard primers and sometimes bad primers but to get 5 in 100 is kinda unusual

#4 ·
I didn't run them again. Will try it next time. Its was actually 4 duds in one box and 1 in the second box. I didn't see a pattern but didn't pay attention (and not enough failures to see a pattern so far anyway). both boxes came from the same order and have the same "carton number" (closest thing I found to a serial number)

#5 ·
I see in forums that people have had problems, but I have used thousands of these rounds with zip problems and never seen anyone else with a dud. Must be a certain batch, did you check their website for recalls, I believe the lot # is stamped into the box.

#6 ·
Contact Winchester, they probably don't want you to mail them back but may send a representative out to retrieve them and the container. More than likely he will give you coupons or credits for a whole box in return. At least this has worked with other products I have found defective, but I have not tried this with Winchester.

If I were the manufacturer I would want to be able to retrieve some duds so that I could improve my quality control.

Answer - Questions and FAQs - Winchester Ammunition

#8 ·
Winclean is the only ammo that's ever made my USP choke.

After 2 mags of FTF's every other round, I traded about 80 rounds to a shooting buddy for a half-pack of Lucky Strikes and a warm Coke.

I still think I got the better end of that deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.