Extreme Ammunition

Extreme Ammunition

This is a discussion on Extreme Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you guys 'n gals know anything about "Extreme Shock Ammunition". I saw the ads in gun mags and wondered if the claims ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

Extreme Ammunition

Do any of you guys 'n gals know anything about "Extreme Shock Ammunition". I saw the ads in gun mags and wondered if the claims made were more truth or hype. The theory sounds plausible but do they perform that way or not. I think they are way overpriced, what do you think. "www.extremeshockusa.com"

No true exp but i have heard its crap and way overpriced

Cool You pays yo money and you takes yo choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank
    Do any of you guys 'n gals know anything about "Extreme Shock Ammunition". I saw the ads in gun mags and wondered if the claims made were more truth or hype. The theory sounds plausible but do they perform that way or not. I think they are way overpriced, what do you think. "www.extremeshockusa.com"
    Don't know anything about this one, but I'd be LEERY of anything to feed a BG that a savvy prosecutor or plaintiff lawyer might seize on to say you were looking to kill somebody. Unless, of course, you live in Florida. Even then, I'd think it'd be tough to live with if you became a media target.

I have a close bud in SpecOps who swears by RBCD which is a pretty innocous sounding name for this stuff...try

http://www.rbcd.net They ain't cheap either, but can be found at lesser prices at gun shows. I have a mag full of the stuff in my Glock M27. I trust my buddy. In the tightnit little SpecOps community he has a "rep" as a carnivore, which is high praise for that group.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    will see . My girlfriend bought some to try. I can't imagine em performing any better than a gold dot or hydrashock really though.

Here's my thoughts, if anyone cares. If its handgun ammo, it sux. That goes for all handgun ammo. It sux as a 'manstopper'. Remember, the projectile only delivers as much punch as you get in the recoil. (physics, equal/opposite action/reaction). The more important criteria it would seem to me would be its reliability in the handgun for which it is purchased, its ability to hit poa/poi, its track record as far as the company (Remington Golden Sabre, or Fed Hydrashocks each have good track records for reliability from established companies), and can it be fired without beating up the gun or shooter (+P+ need not apply). Most of the dep's and leo's I've ever spoken with that have had to shoot a truly violent offender have noted that the person did not react to the first shot at all. Multiple rounds were needed, so quick follow ups were a must. Some used Fed Hydrashocks, some Golden Sabres, some Gold dots, the outcome was all the same- more than one handgun round was needed. So no matter what the name is, or how 'aggressive' the hollow point is, its still and handgun round. It is still only about a half inch at best. It is still only moving between 850 to 1100 ft per second. And it still sux to have to defend your life with.

So, as long as it works in your pistol everytime, and shoots poa/poi, and you can make quick follow up shots, and it doesnt beat the gun up, I'd say use it. But dont expect anything 'extreme' from it.

Dan

Assistant Administrator
    What I have gleaned on the theory suggests it is (should be) highly effective but - I am satisfied that if I cannot do adequate business with my +P Gold Dots then I am SOL anyways !

Maybe some cheapskate element too - I just do not want to spend major bucks on SD ammo - makes it very costly to evaluate in the carry gun and achieve adequate practice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    After reading other website's posts on Extreme Shock Ammunition, the general consensus was that it is "extemely" hyped ammo that "extremely" bites the big one.....in an "extreme" way.

Better to stick with the better known jee whiz ammo utilizing "proven" bullet designs such as Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, SXT, aka Ranger-T, Hydra Shok, etc.

Still....I'd rather not get shot with it or anything up to and including a .177 caliber BB.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

This brings back memories of the time I bought a 'set' of .357 Glaser Safety slugs back when they were the latest whiz-bang thing in the gun press. I am sure they were great, but I never knew it because at the price of *at least* $2.50 a pop, and only six rounds per package, they were too dear to practice with!! Later on I wised up to the fact that it is foolish to carry ammo that you *have not practiced firing*, so I hosed em' down range, and went with ammo that I COULD both practice with and carry.

I am in complete agreeement with JD...a handgun is the very last thing you want to bring to a gun fight if a long arm is available. Since all practical*(Even Dirty Harry had to admit the he used "light (.44) Specials" to practice with! ) handgun rounds are weak, I don't think there is much of a real difference between them. Find a round that is reliable, accurate and you can afford to practice with(unlike the exotic rounds), and you'll be doing all right, IMHO.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Ladies and gentleman of the jury.

The defendant claims to have been defending himself from imminent danger.

Exhibit 1 is a poster of the advertisement for -gasp- EXTREME SHOCK- special maim to kill ammunition. Look at the ninja soldiers on the ad and the power ranger imagery.

The defendent is obviously a ticking time bomb in search of a victim and he found one.
    The Marshmallowist

Angry

Good point, soflasmag...

...the world's most devastating ammunition! ...the new ExtremeShockTM Explosive Entry...rounds represent the ultimate refinement in lethal bullet technology. The compressed Tungsten-NyTriliumTM Composite fragments upon impact, leaving a wound channel of catastrophic proportions....The resulting stopping power is utterly devastating.
    Every two-bit ambulance chaser within a 500 mile radius would be coming out of the wood work to cash on on a civil suit following a self-defense shooting involving this ammo. We've seen it before, I.B. Worthless gets smoked by Officer Friendly or John Q. Sheepdog, and his previous fills-two-filing-cabinets rap sheet turns into, "but my boy was starting to turn his life around when that racist cop/gun-nut shot my poor baby with those bullets that are even too deadly for the Army to use..."
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Bushido I hadn't seen the ad in a while, it's more dramatic than I thought!!
    The Marshmallowist

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    In the tightnit little SpecOps community he has a "rep" as a carnivore, which is high praise for that group.
    I've never heard of the term 'carnivore' used in SOF. What unit? Is this a new term?

Cool Slang comes and goes...

I had a buddy stationed with the 10th SF when they were still at Ft Devins (long time ago) and he used it as a term of respect for an operator who'd truly BTDT. He also used the term "MEAT EATER." No it's not a new term but it may have been regional and time driven. Slang comes and goes. In fact just about the only truly enduring slang idiom I know of is the term COOL. That's been around since I was a kid in the 60's. Military slang tends to fall quickly by the wayside. High Speed was their variation on "cool." I find that more military terms that endure are historical: Like SNAFU, FUBAR and BOHICA. I'm pretty sure those were around during WWII. BTW, I'm NOT a SOF guy myself. I was a DAT ... Dumb A$$ TANKER. Before that I was what the tankers refer to as a Squishy, crunchy, or crossed idiot sticks (Infantry Captain). Of course those terms are from one branches perspective!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I agree slang comes and goes. I just misunderstood your post. Take care.

If its handgun ammo, it sux. ...

NOT TRUE. A 7.62x25 cart for a CZ-52 is a whopping 1600 fps!

You can get it in hardball or HP from makarov.com.

Take a look.

CZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links