357 Sig More Reliable Feeding?

This is a discussion on 357 Sig More Reliable Feeding? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thread title kind of says it all; I am not concerned with the bullet firing reliability, but rather the feeding reliability. Does the necked down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig More Reliable Feeding?

357 Sig More Reliable Feeding?

Thread title kind of says it all; I am not concerned with the bullet firing reliability, but rather the feeding reliability. Does the necked down shape of the casing make bullet feeding any more reliable than any other traditional shaped bullet?

It's just something I heard, but I don't pretend to know what's what on bullet feeding, so I'd be most grateful if you guys can help shed some light on the topic.
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    The 357 sig pistol are made to feed necked down bullets so I don't think it would be a problem. Are you thinking of purchasing one?
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I would guess so with immaculate environmental and equipment conditions simply due to the overall cartridge design. It's just a guess, and I've actually never heard that. As to more reliable---well, let's just say I'm thinking maybe a bit less prone to feeding failures.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    I'm curious to hear from some .357 sig people, I like the .400 Cor-Bon that is essentially the larger cousin to the .357. It feeds well out of the 10 round mags, but does have a tendency to nose dive in the 13 rounders for some reason.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I'm curious to hear from some .357 sig people, I like the .400 Cor-Bon that is essentially the larger cousin to the .357. It feeds well out of the 10 round mags, but does have a tendency to nose dive in the 13 rounders for some reason.

That's interesting, makes me think me not buying one was a good choice
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    That's interesting, makes me think me not buying one was a good choice
    I'm not saying that, the .357sig is an actually accepted round (so to speak) the .400 never caught on, I'm not aware of any mfg that make a .400 gun. I spoke with a gentleman that actually got to use a Glock .400 barrel but and later discovered the problem I mentioned above.

With several gun makers offering the .357Sig, I have to believe that feeding should not be an issue. I don't have one, I can't say myself.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Are you thinking of purchasing one?
    Yup. That or a 45 acp handgun. I've shot the 357 sig round out of a G33 and was pretty happy with it considering how controlable I felt it to be. I'm entertaining the idea of a few different models, but all of them being 357 sig... And, of course, the trusty 45... Well, I've shot plenty of that. I am just trying to decide which route I'd like to take.

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of both of them; but the bullet feeding is something I've been curious about for quite some time.
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ... Well, let's just say I'm thinking maybe a bit less prone to feeding failures.
    And that's what I am interested in figuring out.
    Beretta 92FS

The 357 sig is a necked down 40 S&W case the bullet end is 9mm so I would assume it will feed as reliable as a 9mm
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The 357 sig is a necked down 40 S&W case the bullet end is 9mm so I would assume it will feed as reliable as a 9mm
    Is that the determining factor towards feeding reliability, the bullet head itself? Not the casing as well?
    Beretta 92FS

Most bullets seem to jam on the feed ramp when chambering,once the round enters the chamber it is then pushed home with the slide,i have seen jams caused by magazines that allow the round to flip up and jam against the top of the chamber.There are several organizations that carry the 357 sig and it is just as reliable as other calibers,I have thought about buying a barrel for my Sig 2022 so I can shoot either 40 or 357 sig,problem is i reload and spent 357sig cases are few and far between
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I run the .357 and the shape does make it more reliable.

You are putting a 9mm bullet into a 40cal chamber. There is plenty of clearance to chamber the round. Even if it is a little out of square, it will find its way home.

A straight walled case just doesn't have this capacity.

Also, as to feeding from the mag, there is an advantage as well. The feedramp is as low as a 40, but the bottom edge of the bullet nose sits higher than that of a 40.

I own a G31 , G32 , Sig239. The 239 was EDC for 5+ years, and the G32 is my IDPA gun that sees plenty of use. I've never had a round of .357 not chamber.

Just my opinion, but i'll stick with the 357sig.

Well, that's certainly helpful. Any more input from anybody else?

Thanks for the replies so far!
    Beretta 92FS

I know that this reply is late,but I just got a Glock G33
    and am testing ammo in it now
    I have shot Winchester/Hornady /PoweRball ammo and
    have had no trouble let .
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I just recently read that the .357 sig IS actually a bit more reliable than other common pistol rounds. Since almost all other pistol rounds are straight-walled, you're trying to feed a cartridge into a chamber of the same diameter. With the .357 sig, you're trying to fit a .355 inch bullet into a .40 cal chamber. It gives a little more room for chambering errors.

But, in today's world, reliable handguns are easy to find that fire straight-walled cartidges. I'm not sure how much more of an edge it will give you, but there is a slight edge, I will admit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links