"Use what local police use" SD ammo?

This is a discussion on "Use what local police use" SD ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this has been tossed around here before but I'd like to revisit this topic. I've heard a lot about the whole concept of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Use what local police use" SD ammo?

"Use what local police use" SD ammo?

I know this has been tossed around here before but I'd like to revisit this topic. I've heard a lot about the whole concept of "use what the local or state police use" for defensive ammo and was wondering how many people on this forum follow this?

I bought Corbon DPX for both my carry guns; Ruger LCP and Kahr CW40 and have been having second thoughts about using this. In the case I ever have to defend myself, would using this ammo make it look bad in court as opposed to say Speer Gold Dot? I'm pretty sure my local police force uses that.

What are your thoughts out there?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I use either Gold Dot or Federal HST. That way, if I am asked why I use "cop killer" bullets, I can say that I use what law enforcement uses.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I use whatever functions flawlessly in my weapons, I honestly don't even know what the local PD uses.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I use whatever functions flawlessly in my weapons, I honestly don't even know what the local PD uses.
    +1 on this. However, I use Ranger ammunition. I suppose I get the best of both worlds because it's great defensive ammo, and it says "law enforcement ammunition" right on the box. That way the sheeple in the jury can SEE that I obviously was using law enforcement ammunition instead of the box marked "cop killa gangsta heat" at the gun store....It's pathetic we should even have to have this discussion. (no disrespect to the OP)
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Sometimes the PD will use the cheapest ammo available to cut costs,I use whatever I have available I have used Remington 230grn JHP and I currently have Federal 230+P HST,I have 9mm 124 grn HST,remember there is no magic bullet.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I was told by several LEO's (at 3 diff agencies) to use what LEO's use for the very reason you stated. In Colorado, LEO's in the 3 largest metros (Denver, Colo. Springs & Pueblo) all use Federal Hydra-shock (.45, 230 JHP). It's not about "playing cop." It's about trusting the judgement of the three largest agencies in the State. They've got the resources and the wherewithall to do the research. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Personally, I like the energy of Magetech Guardian Gold (540#) or the Double Tap Speer Gold Dots (616#); but on this one, I'm not going to fight City Hall! BTW - all of the above function flawlessly in both of my 1911's.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I cant speak for LEO but advertising "This is what the Military Uses" means you are using the cheapest ammo bought in bulk.

Just my 2 cents. Oh man now I'm broke.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I was told by several LEO's (at 3 diff agencies) to use what LEO's use for the very reason you stated. In Colorado, LEO's in the 3 largest metros (Denver, Colo. Springs & Pueblo) all use Federal Hydra-shock (.45, 230 JHP). It's not about "playing cop." It's about trusting the judgement of the three largest agencies in the State.
    What I was really getting at was the idea that using what the police use would help your case if you had to go to court against an agressive attorney accusing you of using "special killer bullets" or something.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    On a local police dept standing ( i have no idea what the sheriffs dept does ) you can be issued a glock 17 or you may carry what you choose to purchace in a simiar auto . ( one officer carrys an xd in .40 ) with the undrstanding that if you carry non standard gun(s) you are responsible to provide your ammo for training .

Its a pretty good ( as far as small agency's goes policy ) requiring basicly that the pistol function , and if you choose a non standard ( other than 9mm) ctg well you pay for your ammo .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I cant speak for LEO but advertising "This is what the Military Uses" means you are using the cheapest ammo bought in bulk.

Just my 2 cents. Oh man now I'm broke.
    O how true that one is. SonofaSniper, I see where you are coming from completely, and in some ways it makes sense. But then again everything, from your ammo to you gun, to how fast you call 911, ect... will be taken into account. Do you use the same weapon they issue as well (I realize on the internet remarks can be seen different ways, that question has no ill-will in it nor am i trying to be a smart donkey, just an honest question, if you use their ammo, shouldn't you logically use their weapon?)
    Last edited by buckeye .45; July 7th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    What I was really getting at was the idea that using what the police use would help your case if you had to go to court against an agressive attorney accusing you of using "special killer bullets" or something.
    I think an advocate for the other side will try anything; but, that being said, I suspect that any commercial ammunition will be fine if the shooting is legally justified. I will also say that I am not personally aware of any case where someone made the "handloads-of-death" argument stick, but I just choose to eliminate that possibility by carrying commercial ammunition defensively.

I have no idea what our local LEOs carry as their issue ammunition. I suspect it may vary by agency.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Do you use the same weapon they issue as well
    Definitely food for thought...if you subscribe to using the ammo the police use, why not use the same gun as well.

No matter what you use there are always 2 sides in court, the other to emphasize the opposite of what you did or had.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Definitely food for thought...if you subscribe to using the ammo the police use, why not use the same gun as well...
    Good point.

IMHO, using the same ammo as LE is a fine idea. That way, if the need arises, you can have a LEO testify as an expert witness as to why they carry that ammo. It cannot hurt you.

Whatever you do, do not handload your carry ammo.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I don't really get all of this personally. What difference does it make what the local law enforcement agencies use?

I follow the logical reasoning that you use what works in your weapon, that you can hit what your shooting at with, and has good results when it hits your target, whether it is expansion, penetration or whatever, depending on what caliber, barrel length and such.

If we all follow the logic that if it is good enough for the LEO's then yes you should buy the same type of gun and ammo, the same type of flashlight, spray, belt, down the line. Heck, why not just try to get hired on by them. I am not a LEO, nor do I know what type of ammo they use. I don't really care.

If I am ever involved in a shooting, I am sure that the type of ammo that I use is going to be least of my worries. BTW, I use 3 different types of ammo, in 3 different guns, but they all work.

ETA: Later this year when I get enough time and the testing done, I will probably be using Speer Gold Dot lead in my own loads, and won't worry about it. After I am satisfied with the load workup, and ballistics, expansion etc. they should do the same thing that factory loads are designed to do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    EW - The reason I posted what I did is specifically to answer your question. Several LEO's suggested I carry what I carry specifically to take that attorney's question off the table, before the fact, rather than explain it afterwards.

For those who can make the quantum leap from using the same bullets as LEO to working full-time as an LEO, THAT I don't get. Last I checked, flashlights, spray and belts are NOT lethal and will probably not be called into question in court unless someone is playing cop. Bullets, on the other hand, are frequently called into question. We spend a good hour on this in the CCW class taught by a defense attorney. I am not an attorney and do not have ready access to case law. I don't care to make case law either. I'm just going on the advice of my attorney and several rather large agencies. To each their own, I guess.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links