Old Ammo, Split Cases

Old Ammo, Split Cases

This is a discussion on Old Ammo, Split Cases within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had some 10 year old ammo that I decided to blow off to salvage the cases for reloading, but out of 50 of them, ...

Old Ammo, Split Cases

I had some 10 year old ammo that I decided to blow off to salvage the cases for reloading, but out of 50 of them, I noticed daylight showing through 5 of them. Seems that the brass cases split.

Is this usual for first fired ammo, and should I be concerned about reloading the rest of the cases?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Never had that problem w/once fired brass. I would not use them but if you do, I'd load them "light".

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Old ammo will do that sometimes. I shot some old 38's yesterday that someone gave me. The cases didn't want to come out of the cylinder after shooting them becaused they swelled. I was shooting them out a stainless Model 66. Anything less I wouldn't have shot them. Actually I didn't shoot all because I wasn't very comfortable shooting old reloads that swelled and some were definitly hotter then others.

I don't shoot other peoples reloads unless I know them personally and have seen their reloading skills equipment and have seen them shoot their stuff,also if they can't tell me how many grains of type of powder behind grn wgt bullet I ain't sticking them in my gun.Also if you see an unfired bullet on the ground,you might not wanta pick it up if some jerk wanted to do something stupid they can pull a bullet overcharge a case and then drop it on the ground at the gun range for somebody to pick up and blow their gun up.If you reload you can take it home pull it down and reload it to your specs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I had some 10 year old ammo that I decided to blow off to salvage the cases for reloading, but out of 50 of them, I noticed daylight showing through 5 of them. Seems that the brass cases split.

Is this usual for first fired ammo, and should I be concerned about reloading the rest of the cases?
    Not unusual, many things can cause the issue; corrosion, exposure to damaging chemicals, brass got brittle from age, or the inside of the case may have been scratched during manufacture.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Not unusual, many things can cause the issue; corrosion, exposure to damaging chemicals, brass got brittle from age, or the inside of the case may have been scratched during manufacture.
    Powder that has absorbed moisture could cause excessive pressures which would split the case.

Links