A good carry caliber - Page 2

A good carry caliber

This is a discussion on A good carry caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 45's are the best. No doubt about it. In Tombstone, Virgil Earp hit Ike Clanton up side the head with just the butt of his ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    45's are the best. No doubt about it.

In Tombstone, Virgil Earp hit Ike Clanton up side the head with just the butt of his 45 and he went down like a pole/axed steer.

I doubt if a P3AT would have even left a mark.

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Pure out and out BALDERDASH!! This old mantra gets trotted out about a dozen times a day in every shooter website on the net. When you need to stop an enraged druggie who is hell bent on ripp'n your head off you'd best be pack'n something with some WHALLOP!! Handguns are second choice self defense weapons at best and one that throws an 85 gr. bullet at 800 fps is marginal at best. I keep try'n to tell people to CARRY A REAL GUN but I might as well be ****'n into the wind!
    You may want to add if you can hit the target effectively...I carry a walther pp in 32acp a lot, its the gun I have the most trigger time on and I have practiced enuff that I can draw and double tap into a 4 inch target easily. Buffalo Bore makes 380+p and 32acp +p that hit pretty hard and being hardcast they will penetrate. In fact that 380 round hits as hard some of the 38 special loads out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Knox View Post
    In Tombstone, Virgil Earp hit Ike Clanton up side the head with just the butt of his 45 and he went down like a pole/axed steer.:
    Well thats about 7 yards to close for me, if it was that close that p3at would be emptied into someones gut. If your close enuff to pistol whip a bad guy then you are already dead.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Pure out and out BALDERDASH!! This old mantra gets trotted out about a dozen times a day in every shooter website on the net. When you need to stop an enraged druggie who is hell bent on ripp'n your head off you'd best be pack'n something with some WHALLOP!! Handguns are second choice self defense weapons at best and one that throws an 85 gr. bullet at 800 fps is marginal at best. I keep try'n to tell people to CARRY A REAL GUN but I might as well be ****'n into the wind!
    This is simply untrue. A .380 in your pocket is better than a .577 T-Rex at home. Like any method of defense, you have to analyze all of your options. Obviously, avoidance is the best option. The second best option would be to carry around a .577 T-Rex or M16 or hand grenades or something similiar...as those are not possible, we are down to our third best option.

And the third best option is going to change depending on the situation. Pepper spray may be more effective than a .380. If I'm playing golf, and I have an attacker rapidly closing on me, I probably won't drop my 2 iron to grab a gun. If somebody is on a tower 300 yards away with a 30.06, it doesn't matter what pistol you have...you need to get to cover.

A pistol is just one of many tools we can use to defend ourselves. Its not the best of tools, and it should never be your only one. The human body is anywhere from 55 to 78% water. Have you ever shot into water? You know how fast the 'hole' fills up?

Are you aware of the survival rate of gunshot wounds? We're talking about at best a 230 gn projectile momentarily passing through a 1,260,000 grain body.(at 180 pounds)

People are stopped from continuing an aggressive action for only a few reasons...
    a) they are incapacitated by direct damage to their Central Nervous System(immediate incapacitation)
    b) they are incapacitated due to loss of blood pressure due to either destruction of the heart, or a severed artery(about 15 seconds of full function afterward)
    c) pain causes their body to shutdown or blackout(unlikely due to 'shock', adrenaline, and/or narcotics)
    d) a large supporting bone is damaged/destroyed rendering the assailant immobile(this will not help if he has a gun, but at least he cannot close distance)
    e)he quits. Either because he's scared, or he wants medical attention, or the gunshot woke him up that he actually could die, or because he was conditioned to fall down from watching TV, or whatever reason his psyche gives him so that he can avoid being shot again.(IMO, by far the most common)

I don't know how many guys here have been shot, but I have It was from a relatively small caliber, and I stopped everything I was doing and worked on trying to get myself medical attention. Now, I was not a determined attacker so I have no way of knowing how that would of changed things. What I do know, is that the shock of being shot is real, and for at least a moment, it's about all I could think about.

The BG's that we talk about aren't super heros...they aren't brave. Most of them have never shot the gun they might be carrying. Our common thug isn't some highly trained, ex special ops, expert at everything...and he's not that brave either. Most of our BG's are the way they are because they are cowards. They are afraid of who they are. They are afraid of the people around them, and they act tough to try to prove they aren't afraid. After a gunshot, an impact, and seeing their own blood run out of them, all of that changes.

Yes, there are some seriously hard-core criminals, but with all of the uber-tacticool training they have, they'll probably just dodge your slower moving .45 anyway, so you would be better off with a 9mm, but considering the fact that they probably have body armor, I hope you have your T-Rex near by or time to swing by a gun store to purchase a rifle.

Yes, carrying a defensive weapon with you is a responsible choice, but sheesh, it can't run every aspect of your life. If you were going to live by that logic, you should never leave your home.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    Hello everyone, hopefully everyone is safe and doing fine.
    I ran across one of the threads and the gentleman wanted to know what would be a good carry round for the .380; any gun is better than no gun in a gunfight, or if called upon to protect yourself. I would however avoid .22, .25, .32,.380 through these calibers have put a tombstone in a grave yard, they lack stopping power. If you have a .380 why not just get a full size 9mm. 9mm being 9x19mm, .380 being 9x17mm in the 9mm you can go +P or +P+ remembering bullet placement is a big factor.
    After 9/11 a team of us went to Isreal, and we met this Isreali, Air Marshal, who engaged four terrorist and killed all of them, and he was carrying a .22 Beretta, but these guys after they clock in have a course of fire they shoot and must pass before they get on the plane.
    That is outstanding.

Stay Safe

Here's my answer, from another thread, that I copied and pasted since it seems to fit this question too.

My primary consideration is the effectiveness of the round carried.

After that it's reliability followed by how well I shoot it. I have a Glock 19, and I'm considering getting a Glock 26 as a BUG for when I carry the 19, but I much prefer the .357 magnum with 125 Grain JHP's or SJHP's depending on the ammo manufacturer.

All self defensive calibers are compared to the .357 magnum so I just carry the original most days. I have seen 38 Special, .357 magnum, 9mm and .45 ACP fail, but the .357 magnum seems to fail less than the others, the only thing it's lacking is capacity.

I dealt with a man last year that literally scared me out of my 9mm. In my dealings with him the night of the incident, and days following it, I asked myself one very important question; "What caliber/gun would I want if I met this SOB in a dark alley one night?"

Make no mistake about it, this was one bad *DUDE*. I have recently dealt with a subject that was shot five times with a 9mm. All the rounds were "in the black" so to speak and he is among the living. Yes, his hits were a little low, but four were in the 5 Ring on a standard B27 Target and one was in the 4 Ring.

So, for me it's simple, since I can learn to shoot anything reasonably well. I go with what I consider the most effective commonly found caliber. There is no sense in having a .582 Superuberfelonstopper bullet if you can't find it at your local gunshop.

Biker
    Last edited by JD; July 12th, 2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: edited per user request.

Caliber is good, training is better. Being a a good shot, good caliber, long enough barrel to achieve velocity are important. Learning tactics is life and death. Most of us go to a range with safety rules, punch paper, feel proud, but its not a gunfight. Moving, draw speed and hits all add up to who walks away. Practise as if your life depended on it, it will! I carry one or two Sig 239 SAS's in 9mm, 124gr.Golden Saber ammo, easy to conceal under t-shirt, good control, 3 spare mag's in pocket, 42 rounds total. I train right handed, left handed, both, off hand reloads, off hand clears. I have wife load dummy's so I don't know when malfunction will happen. I have her call right or left handed BG to practise which way to go (BG's gun hand move to back of hand, slight advantage). I squat, roll or what ever to learn to stay on target and train mind what speed I am still effective. More intense then average CCW, but I feel bad times are coming soon (Jan 20th, 2009). The islamist will be pecking away all over the place. Wife carries a Springfield EMP in 45 and shes good too. Another reason for 9mm, ammo is cheaper=more practise. Just my thoughts

Caliber is good, training is better. Being a a good shot, good caliber, long enough barrel to achieve velocity are important. Learning tactics is life and death.
    Yes, training is better.

I in no way attempted to say that training isn't important because I've already learned that tactics are what wins gunfights.

The caliber of the weapon is less important than the tactics used, but if one can combine the tactics with a "proven" caliber then he or she is ahead of the game. I admit that my reliance on the old .357 magnum is a bit of, "just for my own piece of mind." You do have to have faith and trust in your equipment though.

All handgun calibers are "marginal" at best, so I selected the best one, according to my standards, that I am accurate with and can shoot well.

Biker

I in no way attempted to say that training isn't important because I've already learned that tactics are what wins gunfights.
    That and better cover than the other guy,if his bullets won't penetrate your cover but your bullets go through their cover
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

.357 Will gitr done, if you're a good shot a .380 will have'm pushing up daisy's.

2 things matter, 1. What are you comfortable carrying? 2. How goods your aim?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Caliber really doesn't matter, as long as it starts with a 4 and ends with a 5.
    Best quote ever

Quote Originally Posted by BUTCH69 View Post
    2 things matter, 1. What are you comfortable carrying? 2. How goods your aim?
    Agree 100%;
    1. The Colt .45 New Agent feels good in my hand and the
    Remington 230 gr. Golden Sabers are more comforting than smaller calibers. 2. I practice often enough to keep most shots in a 5" dia. circle at 21 feet.
    I think that oughta "git r done" for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links