A good carry caliber

A good carry caliber

This is a discussion on A good carry caliber within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, hopefully everyone is safe and doing fine. I ran across one of the threads and the gentleman wanted to know what would be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A good carry caliber

Hello everyone, hopefully everyone is safe and doing fine.
    I ran across one of the threads and the gentleman wanted to know what would be a good carry round for the .380; any gun is better than no gun in a gunfight, or if called upon to protect yourself. I would however avoid .22, .25, .32,.380 through these calibers have put a tombstone in a grave yard, they lack stopping power. If you have a .380 why not just get a full size 9mm. 9mm being 9x19mm, .380 being 9x17mm in the 9mm you can go +P or +P+ remembering bullet placement is a big factor.
    After 9/11 a team of us went to Isreal, and we met this Isreali, Air Marshal, who engaged four terrorist and killed all of them, and he was carrying a .22 Beretta, but these guys after they clock in have a course of fire they shoot and must pass before they get on the plane.
    That is outstanding.

Stay Safe
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Shooting skills/marksmanship can make up for lack of bullet size/weight. Shot placement is key. If you can place a small bullet in the right place it is deadly, however, not that many people can do that in a life or death situation.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    I think the .327 takes the .32 off your no list.

.380 is the smallest caliber I will consider for self defense against a 2 legged predator, but a .22 has killed many more people(and animals) than just about any caliber.

So, what do we have to learn from this? If you can convince your attacker to stand still while you place the gun a few inches from his forehead, it does not matter much what you choose to use.

If you are in a real situation, barring a lucky shot, we just all hope that the 2-legged predator is so shocked at being shot that it causes him to stop. If the shock of being shot is not enough to stop them(barring the lucky shot), then I don't believe caliber will play a major role in 'stopping power'.

This has been discussed so many different times that I hesitate at providing a more in depth answer, but any search will get you just about all of the information/opinions that you ask for.

What it really comes down to, is, EVERY handgun caliber is insufficient to guarantee an attacker will come to a complete stop immediately upon being shot. After you realize that, the choices are simplified.

It only makes sense for you to go with the caliber that you shoot best(regardless of one stop shots, because there is really no such thing in a handgun caliber.)

While you may be able to control placement, size of wound, and destruction to tissue, YOU will NEVER be able to decipher what it takes for that specific attacker to be stopped.

And once again, there is no such thing as 'stopping power'. It has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the determination of the person 'being stopped.'

There is NOTHING magical about a bullet. You can completely destroy somebody's heart, and they still have about 15 seconds to fight back. And, yes, YOU can be killled during those 15 seconds.

There is no magic, only training. Use what YOU use best. Any other advice is ill-informed or naive at best.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Caliber really doesn't matter, as long as it starts with a 4 and ends with a 5.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Mine only starts with a 3. But it does end with a 7 and it has another number in the middle. I believe it'll do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    ... If you have a .380 why not just get a full size 9mm. ...
    Show me a 9 that is the size and weight of my P3AT for the same price (under $300), and I'll buy it.

That's why.

Because I'am old and old ways I use 45ACP, also seen it work in the real world.Just my $.02.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Hello everyone, hopefully everyone is safe and doing fine.
    I ran across one of the threads and the gentleman wanted to know what would be a good carry round for the .380; any gun is better than no gun in a gunfight, or if called upon to protect yourself. I would however avoid .22, .25, .32,.380 through these calibers have put a tombstone in a grave yard, they lack stopping power. If you have a .380 why not just get a full size 9mm. 9mm being 9x19mm, .380 being 9x17mm in the 9mm you can go +P or +P+ remembering bullet placement is a big factor.
    After 9/11 a team of us went to Isreal, and we met this Isreali, Air Marshal, who engaged four terrorist and killed all of them, and he was carrying a .22 Beretta, but these guys after they clock in have a course of fire they shoot and must pass before they get on the plane.
    That is outstanding.

Stay Safe
    Ok, so what are you trying to tell us. Just about everyone here knows the difference between a 9mm kurtz, 9mm makarov, and 9mm parrabellum or luger, and what the ballistics or round characteristics are for each.

They do not all come in the same size frames, nor conceal the same way, nor do they come with the same price tags. Everything is a trade off.

Kerbouchard, I will disagree with you briefly to say that a 500 S&W magnum carries similar energy at the barrel or stopping power of many hunting rifles, BUT, for all practicle purposes, it isn't a carry piece, nor can many people shoot it effectively. You are right there is no magic bullet, or caliber combination.

Bullet placement is not a big factor, it is the factor when using a firearm whether it be for self defense, hunting or plain old plinking. If you can't shoot what you carry, you might as well just put a rock in your pocket. Someone shooting a .380 effectively will surely do better than someone shooting a 500 S&W that can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I will defer to the signature that I have used since I started on this forum. Just remember shot placement.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Kerbouchard, I will disagree with you briefly to say that a 500 S&W magnum carries similar energy at the barrel or stopping power of many hunting rifles, BUT, for all practicle purposes, it isn't a carry piece, nor can many people shoot it effectively.
    With reports of people getting hit by .50 caliber weapons, grenades, rockets, etc during wartime and still being able to earn a Medal of Honor for Acts of Valor after they were hit, I still say that regardless of what you hit them with, their determination has a much larger impact on what happens next than the size of the bullet.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

A lot depends on how you are carrying and your normal everyday attire. Personally I wouldn't go under .380. I carry a 9mm for the most part and occasionally a .45. The bigger the heavier. The heavier the less concealable and more uncomfortable for all day carry. All these are valid considerations. Everyone has their favorite.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    With reports of people getting hit by .50 caliber weapons, grenades, rockets, etc during wartime and still being able to earn a Medal of Honor for Acts of Valor after they were hit, I still say that regardless of what you hit them with, their determination has a much larger impact on what happens next than the size of the bullet.
    It's where you hit them.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    While I normally prefer a 9x19 over a .380 I carry the P3AT more than any other gun because it is small and light, and I do have confidence in the round.

Regards,
    Jerry

A 32 ACP will work just fine because once I start I'm not stopping till You drop.

..... any gun is better than no gun in a gunfight.....

Pure out and out BALDERDASH!! This old mantra gets trotted out about a dozen times a day in every shooter website on the net. When you need to stop an enraged druggie who is hell bent on ripp'n your head off you'd best be pack'n something with some WHALLOP!! Handguns are second choice self defense weapons at best and one that throws an 85 gr. bullet at 800 fps is marginal at best. I keep try'n to tell people to CARRY A REAL GUN but I might as well be ****'n into the wind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links