how do I know what weight recoil spring to use

how do I know what weight recoil spring to use

This is a discussion on how do I know what weight recoil spring to use within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I havent tryed HP ammo in my 1911 yet. I was thinking if it doesnt feed HP's, Ill use Corbon Powerball or Federal EFMJ ammo ...

Thread: how do I know what weight recoil spring to use

Question how do I know what weight recoil spring to use

I havent tryed HP ammo in my 1911 yet. I was thinking if it doesnt feed HP's, Ill use Corbon Powerball or Federal EFMJ ammo untill I get it polished.
    The Powerball 165gr and EFMJ 200gr ammo is +P rated. Do I need to change the recoil spring? If so, what weight do I use?

Assistant Administrator
    Greg - some of these issues have come up on THR and some good responses been made.

I archived a number of files to do with all things 1911 and so will attach one or two here for you - hoping they'll help you and maybe be useful too for others.
    Attached Files
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

16lb should be fine with either.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

In my opinion any quality 1911, say from Wilson, Springfield, etc should feed HP. Thus, if I were you I would not change a thing just shoot and see what happends. I think too many people think just because they get a 1911 that it is time to "Hot Rod" it . Now that is your choice, I just find that a quality one performs well out of the box. I have a Springfield Mil-spec and the only change is Hogue grips of which I am soon changing. Just my 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

dont get me wrong. I plan on trying normal HP's before I mess around with exotic ammo. Where I may need to change the spring. Im going to start with Remington Golden Sabre. I hear they have a good rep for feeding reliability.

I only plan on changing the grips myself. The wood ones it came with, are real nice. I kinda wanna save them. I also plan on getting some sight paint, for the tiny front post.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    IMO you always want to use the heaviest spring that you can use and still have your weapon cycle correctly. Your recoil spring should be in sync with your mag springs. Allot of fail to feed's are a direct result of a too heavy recoil spring and/or too weak mag spring or wrong mag follower. One of my Colt Series 70's is set up to shoot CorBon 165's. This is some of the hottest ammo that you will find. I chrono'ed some at 1280fps outta my 5" bbl.I had to install a 20# spring and also use recoil buffers from Buffer Tech. Don't know 'bout PwrBall but most CorBon is hotter 'en hell. Great ammo -- just HOT !! Also, any spring should be able to feed HP's, all else being equal. If you want"kinda" hot,try the Hornady 230gr. HP,XTP's(#9096). They will feed in any gun that I've ever heard of without changing anything. These go 968fps outta my 5".--------

If you want"kinda" hot,try the Hornady 230gr. HP,XTP's(#9096). They will feed in any gun that I've ever heard of without changing anything.
    Ive heard good stuff about the XTP's too.

I have a grunch of the ammo that I use for CCW---BUT--- if I didn't i'd take a real close look at the above mentioned ammo. Not too pricy and will penetrate very well. I put one through a 215# hog several months ago. She didn't go very far at all. Or maybe the TAP version of the XTP load. It is supposed to have some majical coating on the brass to ease in feeding/extraction. Also a low flash powder. However I an skeptical of both these claims.-------------

I put one through a 215# hog several months ago.
    REALY!!!
    I would have never thought the .45acp as a hog hunting cartridge. One thing I REALY want to hunt, down here is pig's . I have hunted whitetail and black bear (Ive never had any luck with bears) way before I was "legally" allowed to hunt biggame. Im ready for a change, plus Ive always wanted a hog's head mount .

I would use my Contender for my primary. But its nice to know that I could use my 1911 as well.

The big one that I killed(215) I killed with my Beretta Storm in .45ACP. I have killed several others with the Storm. The Hornady mentioned above is going 60 or so fps faster outta the 16" bbl. Slowed down to 5" velocities it would penetrate even better. I would not use a .45ACP for the larger hogs. Remember that you could easily wonder accross a 300-400 pounder. You would need to step up to a 45LC or 44Mag for the big boys. Moved at the proper velocities the Hornady XTP line of bullets are great.---------

I use an 18.5.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Chris, and everyone thanks for the comeback. I learn alot from helpful people like yall.

Sponsored Links