Federal HST or Winchester Bonded?

This is a discussion on Federal HST or Winchester Bonded? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using the Ranger-T ammo in my .40 for a while now, but there seems to be a shortage of these nowdays. Everyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST or Winchester Bonded?

Federal HST or Winchester Bonded?

I have been using the Ranger-T ammo in my .40 for a while now, but there seems to be a shortage of these nowdays. Everyone is out of stock and nobody knows when they will ever get anymore. I am thinking of switching to a more readily available SD round. Judging from what I have read and pictures I have seen, the HST and Ranger Bonded seem to be the best SD on the market right now. Only negative thing I have heard is the HST has feeding issues in some guns. I have not heard any negative about the Ranger bonded yet. Has anyone here had a chance to compare the two. If so, do you have any comparison data or pics?

2. Remove Ads

I would try running a box or two of the Federal HST to see if it will feed reliably in your .40. As far as comparison data goes, you might be comparing apples to oranges on this one as either should "get'er done" in a defensive situation.
    God bless our troops!

New Member Array Mountaineer_Shootist's Avatar
    I've got some of the Ranger bonded on the way. I'll try to post something after I try it. Ammunition To Go usually has most things in stock including Federal and Winchester "LE only" loads.
    Welcome to Ammunition To Go!
    Montani Semper Liberi
    Mountaineers Are Always Free

What about Gold Dot 155/165gr? Stocked in many local GS's. Speer has a great rep for expansion and penetration.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

From what I have heard, Winchester got a big contract with the FBI and is now supplying them with all of their .40 and 9mm. That is the reason that you are having trouble finding the ranger-t online. Dealers usually only get them when PDs have an overstock or something. I have several boxes stocked up for my .40, but now I am carrying 185gr Gold Dots in my .45.

chad
    Chad

Violent crime happens every 22 seconds while police are only minutes away.

The mouth on the HST is kind of thin and edgy. But they feed in my mp9 fine.

I'd go with the HST if they feed your gun. I did some research when I was deciding on a SD round and I found some good ballistics on them.

Quote Originally Posted by concealed1911 View Post
    From what I have heard, Winchester got a big contract with the FBI and is now supplying them with all of their .40 and 9mm. That is the reason that you are having trouble finding the ranger-t online. Dealers usually only get them when PDs have an overstock or something. I have several boxes stocked up for my .40, but now I am carrying 185gr Gold Dots in my .45.

chad

IIRC the FBI is actually using the bonded ranger bullet.

I just ordered two boxes of the HST tactical and it wasn't easy to find.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

In my experience, the HST expand better and the Winchester penetrate better, but it's close. Both are great if your pistol likes them.

I use the HST as it expands better, and that is best for my ammo need.

I haven't seen or tried the HST's. They seem to be difficult to find in this area (gun shows, I mean) but I have been using the Winchester 124gr +P+ JHPs in my 9mm carry guns (Sig P226, H&K P30) and found them very reliable. This load is used by a number of Law Enforcement agencies notably the Texas Rangers. I have a buddy that's a SEAL and he says they use that one a lot in "the teams" but then they use a lot of different loads and brands. I also recently purchased my first bunch of CorBon DPX and have high hopes for them, although they're a bit lighter at 115gr than I might like. I prefer 124s or 147s. Still, I am mostly concerned with accuracy and reliability. If a load is 100% reliable and IF I know where a load will print consistently at various ranges, other factors really don't matter since I also know that shot placement is the name of the game. End of story.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Here are a couple of links I posted on another thread. Federal HST by far out perform every other bullet I have seen and studied. No matter what they are shot through or into they are the most consistent performing and expanding round available. Ammunition To Go! keeps a supply available at with decent prices and excellent service.

This first set are tests done by LEO and are downloadable PDF files
    Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with pics from a two different sites
    ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

There is also a rather informative thread here with pics at Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other common SD ammunition
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

The HST looks good on paper but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon just yet because I've read very few street results thus far.
    Although initial reports are encouraging.
    Expansion is great but in my tests it penetrates less than other LE standard rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JxMxFxPx View Post
    The HST looks good on paper but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon just yet because I've read very few street results thus far.
    Although initial reports are encouraging.
    Expansion is great but in my tests it penetrates less than other LE standard rounds.
    The first set of the above links I posted are conducted at LEO facilities. However I am interested in your tests can you be more specific? What tests? Into what media Water Jugs, Wet Newspaper, Ballistic Gel, Sim test, Duxseal, Bullet test Tube? From what distance? From what gun? Barrel length? Caliber? Compared to what other ammo you tested? What was the results for that ammo? Not at all contradicting you just looking to learn more. As your results seem be contrary to what I have read and tests I have done, into one gallon milk jugs with an XD.45 compact with a 4in barrel from ten feet.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I haven't seen or tried the HST's. They seem to be difficult to find in this area
    HST and most other premium ammo is available at good prices from Ammunition To Go. They have great service too usually have my ammo to me in 2 or 3 days.
    HST are 100% reliable and as accurate as anything I have shot out of my XD. I tested 288 rounds out of 350 rounds the rest are in my carry mag and four spares. Than I picked up 1k more to store as back up. Turns out I could have bought 1500 for less than I paid for 1350, to late now. So FYI buy the bulk 500 round boxes and order all you need in one order.
    You are correct. While shot placement is primary knowing that the round will penetrate and expand 100% of the time is also important . That is why I picked HST to carry it is a consistent reliable performing round in all four areas
    Reliable
    Accurate
    Consistent penetration
    Consistent expansion
    No matter what it is shot through or into. Can not really ask for more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links