how many rounds fired, before you consider a cartridge reliable

This is a discussion on how many rounds fired, before you consider a cartridge reliable within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many rounds do you shoot before you think a cartridge is acceptable for carry? Especially out of a 1911. 100rds, 200rds, 500rds, 1000rds?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many rounds fired, before you consider a cartridge reliable

Question how many rounds fired, before you consider a cartridge reliable

How many rounds do you shoot before you think a cartridge is acceptable for carry? Especially out of a 1911. 100rds, 200rds, 500rds, 1000rds?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    So far if I can run 50-100 W/O failures I trust it to carry.

Been thinking about this myself today. The wifes 1911 is on it way back from the Springfield Custom shop after some trigger work and other minor tweaks. I will be happy after 200-300 rounds of range ammo and reloads. Then I will run 3 boxes of Federal Hydra-shock through it to be sure the hollow points feed 100%.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

a 1911 2-300 if its really tight when 1st purchased then 500

Assistant Administrator
    Now Greg - I read this here as not just - ''when is gun considered reliable'' but more - ''is a given (make) cartridge itself reliable, as a cartridge"?.

I guess let's take this both ways. Re cartridge itself - then I will go by manufacturer and their rep' - from own experience and that of others. I'll shoot plenty and not expect FTE's - plus I judge a little bit on hard/soft primer aspects too.

Re the gun - well - if practice with FMJ, then I will want to know that 50 carry HP's will go smoothly too. Cost is a factor unfortunately with much carry ammo and so that may have to do - 100 being for some brands just too darned costly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I read this here as not just - ''when is gun considered reliable'' but more - ''is a given (make) cartridge itself reliable, as a cartridge"?.
    Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should have wrote, How Manny rounds before you consider a specific make cartridge is reliable in your 1911 for carry?

As for the cost, yeah that's a huge pain. I spent $21 on 25 rounds of Golden Sabre 230gr, and $35 for 50 rounds of Remington 185gr HP (R45AP2) which I hear will feed well out of even older 1911's. For a total of $55.00 + tax for only 75 rds. (maybe carrying ball isn't a bad idea after all!) Im going to try this ammo tomorrow.
    If I actually added up the total cost of the gun, ammo, mags, Disassembly tool, recoil spring, holster and belt. The $100 more for a Milspec is a measly drop in the bucket!

not intending to hijack this post just wanted to post to GREGERAT that i just bought some ammo from cheaperthandirt.com and got:

-230 gr. 45 cal. golden sabre's 25 ct. for $11.97
    -185 gr. 45 cal. silver tips 20 ct. for $10.63
    of course add on $3 ammo fee and $6 shipping but it might save ya some money in the future.
    just that yer gun shop prices seem high IMHO.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I figure 400 rds of ball ammo to test the mags and such plus 100 rds of each type and brand of carry ammo. If you're shooting frangibles like MagSafe or Glaser or especially RBCD that's going to get REAL expensive! So you need to shop around. I found MagSafe for $8 per packet of eight rds, instead of the usual $16.

I shoot not only for weapon and mag reliability, but also to know exactly where each weight rd prints at specific ranges. Some guns seem to simply NOT LIKE some types or even brands of ammo. Gotta find that out as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

100 rounds of carry ammo. Normally after my run of 1000 rounds to make sure the gun is problem-free. During that 1000 rounds, I dont clean it.

Administrator

Reliability Of A Cartridge For Carry ?

I have based my carry ammunition choice on a few factors. Manufacturer reputation...in combination with my own shooting experiences & the fact that many in local Law Enforcement carry ammunition produced by the same maker. So THAT negates any potential, future, court room "Cop Killer Bullet" argument.

But, all of that is good for nothing if it does not feed/function in the firearm that you intend to carry it in.
    So....(of course) you have got to shoot it for a while to feel confident for yourself.
    All of my carry ammo (in various calibers) these days is Speer Gold Dot.
    It's accurate, repeatable, & consistent in all of my primary carry firearms & it always feeds & ejects flawlessly. It also shoots quite clean.
    In 15 years "plus"...I've never had a DUD round that was manufactured by Speer. I have "shot up" a lot of Speer ammo.
    Exactly how MANY rounds did I shoot first?
    I have no idea as it's been years since I've stayed almost exclusively with Speer.
    Their quality control is extremely high & I trust it with my life.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Today I practiced w/h my handguns. For my 1911 I bought 50 rds of Remington 185gr HP's (R45AP2), and 25 Remington Golden Sabre 230gr. It ate them all, without any problems.
    The only problem I did have is when I tried the original mag. It still wont hold the slide open when empty, and I still have to manually set the slide lock to push it out through the ejection port. That doesn't bother me much, Ill just get 2 more Wilson mags instead or one. The Wilson 8rd mags work flawlessly.

P.S. Not to lead away from the topic
    So THAT negates any potential, future, court room "Cop Killer Bullet" argument.
    I don't worry so much about that. I figure if I shoot someone on duty, or in defence, I will get everything thrown at me in Cort. Even if Im %100 in the right. I just assume at the very least Ill have someones crackhead relative sew me, cause they need more rock money.
    On the other hand I do keep to regularly available store sold ammo. I hear stories about how people get into trouble with handloads, cause "This cartridge is designed to KILL". Personally Ive never heard of a cartridge designed to tickle? What about a cartridge designed to annoy people, so they go away. I WANT some of them !

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I just assume at the very least Ill have someones crackhead relative sew me, cause they need more rock money.
    Some of that worry should be diminished now, after the passage of the new Florida law last month.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

I have to agree with QKShooter, ammo is chosen based uppon Manufacturer rep. and balistic reports in the various gun rags. Why do you think we willingly pay over $25 for 20 rounds or less when you can buy a box of 50 of something else for $8-9. Yes you can fire 5K of the cheep stuff and it will very likely be reliable. However the High priced stuff is bought for it's higher than normal reliability factor. How much of this stuff do I shoot? Just enough to MT the clip every 6-8 months so I can replace it with fresh. How much of the cheap stuff do I cycle? Theirs plus my reloads. at least 5-8K a year, more when I'm in the Desert and can play a lot.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

how many rounds fired, before you consider a cartridge reliable?

I chose Federal Hydrashok 230gr .45ACP. Because of this cartridge's reputation for reliability and because my magazines hold 13, I thought firing 13+1 rounds through each magazine was good enough for a start.

About every 2 weeks, I expend the 14 current carry cartridges at the range along with some FMJs too, so the reliability testing continues. No malfunctions.

200 rd minimum for each load(alot of factors to consider,ie ;bullet weight, +p or not, size of hollow point mouth,POA/POI) for each gun! My carry guns have to digest 200rds minimum to ensure that the gun will cycle correctly.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links