Looking for a good carry ammo

This is a discussion on Looking for a good carry ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a good carry ammo for my Ruger LCP. Remmington and Corbon will not work in the LCP. I am not sure ...

I am looking for a good carry ammo for my Ruger LCP. Remmington and Corbon will not work in the LCP. I am not sure if hollow points are a good idea as living in the northeast most of the year people are wearing heavy clothing. Any ideas?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

You've been watching CSI again haven't you? Do a search for tungsten carbide projectiles or teflon coated FMJ's. Also....practice shooting above the neck or shoulders. Good luck.

Remmington and Corbon will not work in the LCP
    Are you serious? What were they thinking?

Seriously for a .380 I would if it was me consider carrying FMJ. Or every other round JHP (gold dot-they make a 380 right ?)

My thinking behing it is a 380 isnt a big round anyway. If it starts expanding or breaking up it will drop energy really quick and possibly not make it to the importand areas to effectivly stop someone soon enough..
    With a FMJ I would at least feel like it would keep enough mass to make it in enough to hit those special areas.

Thats my vote FMJ
    Or if Speer makes a gold dot in 380 I would run that. or a combination of the two.

1943 - 2009
    Try the 100 grain hard cast FN, product #27A/20, from Buffalo Bore.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I use Gold dots in my P3AT.
    Okiemountaineer

Try Buffalo Bore's new Gold Dot loads, they are pushing the 90 grain GD at 1275 fps out of a P3AT and over 1200 FPS out of a PPK, I just ordered two boxes, they are by far the hottest 380 loads out there. These have similar ballistics to some 9mm rounds.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I am looking for a good carry ammo for my Ruger LCP. Remmington and Corbon will not work in the LCP. I am not sure if hollow points are a good idea as living in the northeast most of the year people are wearing heavy clothing. Any ideas?
    Don't know about Corbon, but what Remington are you trying? I use Remington Golden Sabers in my LCP and it eats them up with no problems.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Don't know about Corbon, but what Remington are you trying? I use Remington Golden Sabers in my LCP and it eats them up with no problems.

I was using 88gr jacketed Remmington ammo, when I called Ruger they said they were aware of the problem and are working with Remmington on it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I carry a mix of Remington Golden Saber JHP and Santa Barbara TCMJ.

Why I prefer a mix of expanding and non-expanding ammo (interleaving) in a .380 is here:
    KTOG Forum - Ammunition and Tactics for the Kel-Tec P-3AT.
    This was primarily written for a Kel-Tec P-3AT, but it would also be appropriate for most short barrel .380’s, especially the Ruger LCP.

Here's why I picked Remington Golden Saber for my expanding round...

If most shots are intended to hit at COM, then the bullet will have to pass through clothing, a small amount of skin and muscle, bone (sternum or rib), then into vital organs. Up until recently, all the tests I had seen left out a very important and significant obstacle - the bone. So, I have always wanted a test that included bone.

OldGranpa has done a test using 3/4" plywood (simulated bone) in front of a wetpack (simulated flesh and organs). Unfortunately he didn't put any clothing in front of the plywood, but many former tests have shown the results of clothing on bullets, so this is not a big deal. You can see the results of this test here: Simulated "Bone" Wetpack for Sternum

Cor-Bon DPX is generally considered one of the best, if not the best round in .380.

In this test, for the first time, DPX did not do very well. When the DPX bullets hit the plywood (bone) they collapsed inwardly and did not expand upon entering the wet pack.

The Golden Sabers in the other hand, did quite well, as they have in most every other test I've seen using a P-3AT. Another plus is, Golden Sabers cost quite a bit less per round than DPX.

So, until proven differently, it will be a mix of Golden Sabers and Santa Barbara for me.

Here is an extensive list of .380 ammo tests that you can check out to come to your own conclusions:
    KTOG Forum - Links to .380 Ammo tests

and here is another more recent one not on the list:

Buffalo Hard cast Versus Golden Saber- The 380 HEAVYWEIGHTS!
    RugerForum.com :: View topic - Buffalo Hard cast Versus Golden Saber- The 380 HEAVYWEIGHTS!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post

I've shot only two kinds so far, American Eagle 95 gr FMJ, and Hornady 90 gr hollow point. Both of those have worked flawless.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    I carry a mix of Remington Golden Saber JHP and Santa Barbara TCMJ.

Why I prefer a mix of expanding and non-expanding ammo (interleaving) in a .380 is here:
    KTOG Forum - Ammunition and Tactics for the Kel-Tec P-3AT.
    This was primarily written for a Kel-Tec P-3AT, but it would also be appropriate for most short barrel .380’s, especially the Ruger LCP.

Here's why I picked Remington Golden Saber for my expanding round...

If most shots are intended to hit at COM, then the bullet will have to pass through clothing, a small amount of skin and muscle, bone (sternum or rib), then into vital organs. Up until recently, all the tests I had seen left out a very important and significant obstacle - the bone. So, I have always wanted a test that included bone.

OldGranpa has done a test using 3/4" plywood (simulated bone) in front of a wetpack (simulated flesh and organs). Unfortunately he didn't put any clothing in front of the plywood, but many former tests have shown the results of clothing on bullets, so this is not a big deal. You can see the results of this test here: Simulated "Bone" Wetpack for Sternum

Cor-Bon DPX is generally considered one of the best, if not the best round in .380.

In this test, for the first time, DPX did not do very well. When the DPX bullets hit the plywood (bone) they collapsed inwardly and did not expand upon entering the wet pack.

The Golden Sabers in the other hand, did quite well, as they have in most every other test I've seen using a P-3AT. Another plus is, Golden Sabers cost quite a bit less per round than DPX.

So, until proven differently, it will be a mix of Golden Sabers and Santa Barbara for me.

Here is an extensive list of .380 ammo tests that you can check out to come to your own conclusions:
    KTOG Forum - Links to .380 Ammo tests

and here is another more recent one not on the list:

Buffalo Hard cast Versus Golden Saber- The 380 HEAVYWEIGHTS!
    RugerForum.com :: View topic - Buffalo Hard cast Versus Golden Saber- The 380 HEAVYWEIGHTS!

Bobo
    I just read the testing in the above link. There is about .75-1.00" difference between the DPX, GS, and the BB G.D's. I consider this very close. I also don't believe 6" of loose meat scraps to be a good media to represent a human. In most COM shots, as well as head shots etc... the bullet will encounter bone prior to hitting soft tissue and organ tissue. This is where I have read the Buffalo Bore GD's really perform. I currently have the DPX in my P232 and NAA Guardian and I have ordered 2 boxes of the BB GD's, but I feel you will be very well protected with either of these as well as the GS, and the BB Hard Cast. The only way to know for sure is to shoot cadaveors, and that's not likely.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Hornady 90 gr JHP is going to get the nod from me, as soon as I get a chance to get to the range for some function testing. For now, it's plain old WWB, and I'm fine with that.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links