Best self defense slug round - Page 2

Best self defense slug round

This is a discussion on Best self defense slug round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with the comments about the HD shotguns with pistol grips. I got a used Mossy 500 that had the pistol grips and I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with the comments about the HD shotguns with pistol grips. I got a used Mossy 500 that had the pistol grips and I switched them out with the Hogue youth model stock. That makes a compact package, but still a traditional stock. I am in black bear country and have lots of land around the house so I keep the first few rounds Brenneke Rottweils and then 3-inch 00-buck.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO the best slug for a shotty is anything that falls between 4 buck and 000 buck depending on your gage and chamber . Slugs are by no means worthless and will take the hinges off a door quick ( from experiance before breaching rounds were commonly available ) . However if you choose slugs you are better off choosing a rifle than a shot gun , the advantage of a shot gun for defense is to put multiple hits on a target faster than even a sub gun can . At 15 yards a cyllinder bore shotgun loaded with buckshot will put more holes in a fella than a trama team can plug in short order . the same shotgun loaded with #4 birdshot will put his eye out . Loaded with slugs it will put a big but likely survivable wound every time you hit him . Ill take the 9 or more .22 and up cal wounds every time i trigger it over the single from a slug any day . After so much trama the cns will shut down in self defense while it starts routing blood away from the limbs and into the core ( which hopefully i have perforated and is leaking bad ) . This isnt a controlled response it is the body doing what it has to to attempt to survive under massive injury . If you want /need to shoot beyond 25 yards or so in your defense plans then plan with a rifle because the best shotgun will be a poor substitute and at close range you can shoot them as easily with a rifle as you can a slug .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

No slugs here, just 00buck in my coach gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    pistol grip

but im planning on getting a knoxx breachers grip for it
    ive heard it really reduces recoil alot
    I have a "BreachersGrip" on my Mossy 500A; it reduces
    felt recoil 50% as advertised. I shoot slugs from it regularly, lotta fun. (no shoulder stock.) Just hold tight to the foregrip.

To each his own.
    I use slugs for deer hunting.
    I use #4 buck for defensive purposes.
    Good dense shot swarm, heavy enough to do the job in a positive manner.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    To put it in perspective. A good .357 mag load is the 130 grain hydra shock at 1410 fps. This load generates about 574 ftlbs of force and is a proven man stopper. A 3$ per box cheapo Remington 2 3/4 slug is 437.5 grains at 1550 fps generating more ftlbs of force that a Mack truck or a Chuck Norris round house kick (please don't be mad at me Chuck). I think it's like a million billion ftlbs :). The point I'm making is the same as Sixto, just find any round that works in you gun and it will make the bad guys go SPLAT!
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 7th, 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: oops
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links