Defensive Carry banner

Best self defense slug round

11K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  atctimmy 
#1 ·
In your opinion what is the best 12g slug round out there for self defense?

#2 ·
When talking about slugs for HD, the more important question is what type is best for my gun-

Many people don't realize what to use or smooth bore vs. rifled barrel etc. So, what kind of barrel are you using?

When talking about that size of a projectile against a relatively weak/soft target (BG's) brand really doesn't matter all that much IMO, as long as it is a quality manufacture. The key is to use the correct ammunition for your gun.

#7 ·
Have to agree with that. Most slugs are 1oz. I doubt the BG is going to care whether that 437 grain slug traveling at 1300+ fps came from a Remington or Federal shell.:image035:

Hoss

#3 ·
Assuming you have the most common HD setup, being a 18-20" smoothbore with either a cylinder or improved cylinder choke, pretty much any Foster-type or rifled slug will work just fine. Stay away from saboted slugs, however--these are designed to be fired only out of rifled barrels.

Personally, I like Brenneke Rottweils & KO's. However, I also have a .50-cal ammocan filled with Federal, Remington & Winchester el-cheapo slugs that I usually pick up for around $3 a box after deer season ends. The shoot just fine as well out of my 20" cylinder Mossberg.

#5 ·
I have used both rifled and non rifled slugs in my 18" and 28" smoothbore with equal accuracy out to 50 yards, the rifled slugs came into play after 50 yards and with the longer goose barrel. I have also drilled a 1/4" hole in the center and it makes a nast round!! Although I don't recommend altering ammo used for SD.

NCH

#6 ·
Depending on your living circumstances I would recommend buckshot to slugs due to overpenetration issues. However, I usually use Brennke's and they work fine.

#8 ·
Federal

In a smoothbore defense gun try the Federal Tru Ball slug. It has a plastic ball in the base of the hollow slug to help it center in the barrel and fly straight. New technology, very accurate and you can get full power or reduced recoil. We keep the full power ones in the elastic cuff on the defense gun behind the gunshop counter, I keep the low recoil ones in my personal gun. Both shoot fantastic in a smoothbore. A lump of lead is a lump of lead, really. This one has something else to offer.

#9 ·
What others have said the BG gets hit with a slug COM and if he don't drop like a wet noodle he's wearing a suit with a big red "S" underneath

#11 ·
Persuader, eh? Does it have a buttstock, or is it a pistol-grip only?

If it doesn't have a buttstock, I wouldn't recommend slugs at all.

#12 ·
pistol grip :image035:

but im planning on getting a knoxx breachers grip for it
ive heard it really reduces recoil alot

#15 ·
the main load would be Hornady TAP Buckshot
but I would like to have at least a box or two of slugs laying around if needed

#16 ·
I agree with the comments about the HD shotguns with pistol grips. I got a used Mossy 500 that had the pistol grips and I switched them out with the Hogue youth model stock. That makes a compact package, but still a traditional stock. I am in black bear country and have lots of land around the house so I keep the first few rounds Brenneke Rottweils and then 3-inch 00-buck.

#17 ·
IMHO the best slug for a shotty is anything that falls between 4 buck and 000 buck depending on your gage and chamber . Slugs are by no means worthless and will take the hinges off a door quick ( from experiance before breaching rounds were commonly available ) . However if you choose slugs you are better off choosing a rifle than a shot gun , the advantage of a shot gun for defense is to put multiple hits on a target faster than even a sub gun can . At 15 yards a cyllinder bore shotgun loaded with buckshot will put more holes in a fella than a trama team can plug in short order . the same shotgun loaded with #4 birdshot will put his eye out . Loaded with slugs it will put a big but likely survivable wound every time you hit him . Ill take the 9 or more .22 and up cal wounds every time i trigger it over the single from a slug any day . After so much trama the cns will shut down in self defense while it starts routing blood away from the limbs and into the core ( which hopefully i have perforated and is leaking bad ) . This isnt a controlled response it is the body doing what it has to to attempt to survive under massive injury . If you want /need to shoot beyond 25 yards or so in your defense plans then plan with a rifle because the best shotgun will be a poor substitute and at close range you can shoot them as easily with a rifle as you can a slug .

#20 ·
To each his own.
I use slugs for deer hunting.
I use #4 buck for defensive purposes.
Good dense shot swarm, heavy enough to do the job in a positive manner.

#21 · (Edited)
To put it in perspective. A good .357 mag load is the 130 grain hydra shock at 1410 fps. This load generates about 574 ftlbs of force and is a proven man stopper. A 3$ per box cheapo Remington 2 3/4 slug is 437.5 grains at 1550 fps generating more ftlbs of force that a Mack truck or a Chuck Norris round house kick (please don't be mad at me Chuck). I think it's like a million billion ftlbs :). The point I'm making is the same as Sixto, just find any round that works in you gun and it will make the bad guys go SPLAT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.