32 acp wet newsprint tests. (sorry no pics)

This is a discussion on 32 acp wet newsprint tests. (sorry no pics) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just finished a test with wet newsprint with 6 different loads. I soaked the newspaper for 24+ hours. And shot from a distance of 7 ...

Thread: 32 acp wet newsprint tests. (sorry no pics)

32 acp wet newsprint tests. (sorry no pics)

Just finished a test with wet newsprint with 6 different loads.
    I soaked the newspaper for 24+ hours. And shot from a distance of 7 yards. The results are as follows.
    Load 1 cor-bon. Penetration 5 to 7 inches. All loads had jacket core seperation but the did expand.

Load 2 gold dot penetration again 5 to 7 inches. They plugged with wet news print. And marganly expanded with one bullet facing backwards.

Load 3 silvertips about 7 to 71/2 inches and no expansion.

Load 4 hydra shok 7 t0 71/2 inches 1 didnot expand 1 did and one 1/2 way expanded.

Load 5 Hornady xtp 9 to 91/2 inches and all expanded.

Load 6 FMJ 9 to 91/2 inches no expansion of course its hardball.

My conclusion is alot of carriers of small caliber pocket pistols say to carry fmj for penetration. Ok but the hornadys penetrated just as much in wetpack as fmj and they expanded to boot. Ill take the expansion as long as they penetrate as much as fmj. I know this isnt the best test there is but I cant afford ballistic gel. And if the load expands there is more wounding factor. Thoghts and coments on my test and the 32 auto cartrige. These tests are out of a kel-tec p-32 by the way. Thanks for taking the time to input on this test.

Sixgun

2. Remove Ads

Using the 2/3 conversion it would seem the lowly 32 is a viable defensive round (I knew this before) all be it on the lower end.

Thanks for the test.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I don't know about the rest of you bit I would hate to get shot by one of those rounds. may not be 14" of penetration with full expansion but I don't know that I am 14" thick from front to back.

Sixgun, thanks for the report! When running the JHP rounds, did you experience any rimlock or do you have a flyer wire installed?

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Sixgun, thanks for the report! When running the JHP rounds, did you experience any rimlock or do you have a flyer wire installed?
    Eagle5 I havent experianced any rimlock with any of the loads yet. But I do plan on installing the flyer wire or rimlock preventer as kel-tec calls it. Ive heard to many stories of rimlock. And I dont want to chance it while carrying. As everyone knows when the SHTF you want every thing in your favor. And thats one less thing to go wrong and worry about. Have a great day and be safe.
    Sixgun

ok,Mr."no clue" here. whats a flyer wire ?? thanks jwr

One of the reasons I dont worry about carrying my walther pp which is 32 acp.
    The 32 acp will get the job done if you do your part and put em where they need to go.

For more data and pics of the actual expansion of different 32 ammo check this out.

terminal 32 acp
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by jwr747 View Post
    ok,Mr."no clue" here. whats a flyer wire ?? thanks jwr
    The flyerwire is a simple modification to prevent the rimless hollow point 32 acp from shifting in the mag and possibly interlocking the lips of other cartridges, causing rounds to fail to feed because the rounds intertwine due to lack of a rim and shorter OAL than fmj. If that makes any sense.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I found Hornady to preform flawlessly in my Seecamp 32. And... I also found its OAL was very nicely consistent from bullet to bullet and batch to batch and on spec. Its my preferred round in this little gun now. The gun likes it and its Magazines like it as well. It is pretty much spot on what Larry designed the gun to shoot.

I've got Cor-Bon and Fiocchi's coming for my cz 27.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm going to have to test some more Hornady in my Seecamp. I currently use either Gold Dot or Silver Tips. The Hornady always seemed to be the "unpowered one" to me...go figure. The excellent XTP bullet is a proven winner though. Good report, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    I've got Cor-Bon and Fiocchi's coming for my cz 27.
    I definitely encountered rim lock with the Cor-Bon's in my Kel-Tec P32, however, this may not be an issue for the CZ 27.

Good report, thanks.

Have to admit, I'm surprised at the expansion that you saw. Most tests I've seen have indicated little to none.

I carry the Hornady's in my Seecamp too. Perfect function and good accuracy.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I'm going to have to test some more Hornady in my Seecamp. I currently use either Gold Dot or Silver Tips. The Hornady always seemed to be the "unpowered one" to me...go figure. The excellent XTP bullet is a proven winner though. Good report, thanks.
    I to thought the hornadys were a bit underpowered to. But the bullet design they penetrated and expanded good. I was a bit disapointed in the cor-bons with little penetration and jacket core seperation. Im going to get some fiochhis with the xtp bullet and try them also. They might be a little hotter round.

Links