MagTech quality--or lack thereof

This is a discussion on MagTech quality--or lack thereof within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a new S&W 637 and the gun shop HIGHLY recommended this +P ammo. On close exam the bullets were all seated to different depths ...

Thread: MagTech quality--or lack thereof

Bought a new S&W 637 and the gun shop HIGHLY recommended this +P ammo. On close exam the bullets were all seated to different depths and the second cylinder load jammed gun after 4th shot. Last bullet pulled completely out of the case! Sent an email to MagTech but no reply so got my money back and bought Speer Gold Dots.
    Any others had problems with MagTech?

I still have several boxes of MagTech ammo I bought four years ago or so. I've shot some of it up in the past six months. I always like to look at the price stickers on some of my stock ammo. The 50 round 40S&W boxes have $8.95 on them and the 45 acp boxes have $10.80 on them. I wasn't aware, or never looked for the +P in this brand, but I've never had a problem out of my MagTech ammo. I do like the Speer GDHP's alot, and that will usually be what I go with for SD and especially for anything +P. I trust those. I know it's hard to do when trying to save a buck or two, but sometimes there is no compromise.

Yes, the MagTech ammo is about half the price of Speer but if it's unreliable it is worth NOTHING. Specifically I had 125 gr. Guardian Gold +P but I'm not trusting anything they make anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I still have several boxes of MagTech
    ammo I bought four years ago or so. I've shot some of it up in the past six months. I always like to look at the price stickers on some of my stock ammo. The 50 round 40S&W boxes have $8.95 on them and the 45 acp boxes have $10.80 on them. I wasn't aware, or never looked for the +P in this brand, but I've never had a problem out of my MagTech ammo. I do like the Speer GDHP's alot, and that will usually be what I go with and especially for anything +P. I trust those. I know it's hard to do when trying to save a buck or two, but sometimes there is no compromise.

I'm guessing with the current market in ammunition that some of the previously bulk target/range manufacturers have seen a niche to be filled and subsequently attempt to be competitive in the market according to trends. There are folks employed by these companies who do that kind of research on very healthy salaries. Projected sales lights up their eyes, and there is almost no liability factor when producing ammunition as it's the end user's responsibility to prove it was the ammunition at fault for something gone awry. Quality control or 'QA' is still at the bottom of the salary range, and funds for research and development get cut in order to pay the upper echelon which nowadays boils down to marketing. These types of manufacturers should stick with what they've done for years instead of opening new venues or stepping foot in previously blessed waters. But then again...it's all about the almighty dollar. Once the initial product has hit the shelves and the immediate sales have been made, the bottom line has been met and the whole corporation looks good even though they may have marketed a sub-standard product...this alone may keep a company afloat for a year or more in a stifling economy. Read the fine print on any box of ammo....user accepts full responsibility....and that's the bottom line.

I got some 125gr 357 HP &124gr HP+P 9mm Both SHOOT VERY GOOD WITH GOOD EXPANTION!

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I've used it many times when I buy ammo from the range. It worked just like any other ammo I've put through.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

EW3
    I use Magtech .380 FMJ for practice and it works just great.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Never been crazy about it, I now hand load all practice ammo and only carry the HST for SD, besides the 380 which gets Corbon DPX and Buffalo Bore Gold Dots.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    Magtech seems ok to me.

Only one problem, for my Ruger LCP .380 as I was loading the magazine, one bullet completely fell apart and had gun powder all over my counter top! Thank goodness it was a really hot gun. LOL But other then that one time no problems but it obviously made me think it would definatly not be my first choice, I usally stick with American Eagle 95 gr FMJ for target practice, and Hornady 90 gr hollow point for at home.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Magtec

We sell it at the range and haven't had any consistant problems. Occasional bad round, one primer loaded upside down. Not really different from the Independance or Blazer and Blazer Brass. the only expanding bullet I tried from them is the .30 Carbine JSP and it shot good and cycled both my M1s and it's about 1/2 the price of any other JHP or JSP in the caliber.

Sponsored Links