What is your favorite brand of .40 ammo - Page 3

What is your favorite brand of .40 ammo

This is a discussion on What is your favorite brand of .40 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice I carry Rem. Golden Sabres as a carry in 40 cal. 45 cal and 380. Here's a resource for stopping power ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite brand of .40 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I carry Rem. Golden Sabres as a carry in 40 cal. 45 cal and 380. Here's a resource for stopping power in different calibers. It lists the recorded one shot stop percentages of different rounds.

Handloads.Com - Stopping Power
    Golden Saber is a great round what I use in my wife's 380 and used to use in the 45. Until I read about studied and tested Federal HST. Which was not in your test data but Federal HS was there as the best performing round overall. As the HST is the most advanced premium Federal LE ammo available. There is not doubt if that data was updated to include results from the HST it would top the list. From other tests and my experience I was not surprised to se that the talons AKA Rangers results were rather unimpressive overall.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    Remington Golden Sabre 180 gr. , 25 rounds at Ammunition To Go
    14.95. or Cheaper Than Dirt 18.97 and use the $10.00 off promo.

rem golden sabors

My bad. Sorry about my post on this thread. I was off topic and can't edit.

Forget there are some pics and good info on .40 on the Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics thread by Sticks

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

i carry federal 165gr hst 40 cal in my xd, and federal 147gr hst in my 9mm sig
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

It all depends on the price. When Remington Golden Sabre is on sale somewhere then I'll buy a couple of hundred rounds. If Ranger SXT is on sale I'll buy a couple hundred rounds of it. Same goes for Federal Hydra's.

I've got a Sig P228 that is stuffed with Corbon DPX 115 grain +P's sitting here at the desk as I type this.

Makes no difference to me really.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I've been carrying with Winchester 155gr Ranger's for years now and probably wouldn't use anything else. The Sheriff's dept that I worked for picked them because of their ability to penetrate auto glass and drywall and retain most of their weight which is a nice feature.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

Quote Originally Posted by ada229 View Post
    I've been carrying with Winchester 155gr Ranger's for years now and probably wouldn't use anything else. The Sheriff's dept that I worked for picked them because of their ability to penetrate auto glass and drywall and retain most of their weight which is a nice feature.
    That is almost the exact opposite from the results of these tests done at LEO facilities around the country. They provide a great deal of comparative information of several different brands of ammo including Rangers and HST. Rangers did not do well especially through barriers of any kind. The links are downloadable PDF files so you will need Adobe Acrobat to read them if you do not have Adobe Acrobat . You can download it
    Here

Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with some pretty dramatic pics of different SD ammo from a two different sites. Nothing like seeing the expansion difference side by side. Lots of 9mm pics

ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other premium SD ammunition. By the time I did this I no longer had any expanded .45 Ranger rounds. To be honest after I shot some HST and compared it to Ranger I was pretty ticked. I had just bought over $200 of Rangers that I ended up shooting at targets. The .45 Rangers look pretty much like the .380 Rangers except larger but not nearly as large as the HST or even the Golden Sabers. Note that the Rangers separated almost 100% of the time

I have great luck with

Range choice
    American Eagle (Federal) 40 s/w 180 grain
    Fiocchi 40 s/w 170 grain

Personal protection
    Winchester SXZ 40 s/w 180 grain JHP

155gr Winchester Silvertips Powerfull and Accurate,

I second Skysoldier's 155gr Win silvertips and at the range WWB 165gr FMJ

I started carrying Winchester SXT 180g JHP on recommendation from my local Gunshop. I bought a box of 20 from them, then found boxes of 50 at Bass Pro for the same price...so I bought 200 of em, and got a deal with my gun shop...

I just made the switch to Corbon's DPX. Most ammunition does not perform up to advertised claims for penetration and expansion when fired from the short 3 to 4 inch barrels of many concealable handguns. The DPX carries the all copper Barnes X-bullet which demonstrates reliable expansion at much lower speeds than needed for copper jacketed lead bullets. It's expensive, so I've only shot it at the range to prove that my Glock 23 would function well with it.
    Last edited by jofrdo; September 14th, 2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I just made the switch to Corbon's DPX. Most ammunition does not perform up to advertised claims for penetration and expansion when fired from the short 3 to 4 inch barrels of many concealable handguns. The DPX carries the all copper Barnes X-bullet which demonstrates reliable expansion at much lower speeds than needed for copper jacketed lead bullets. It's expensive, so I've only shot it at the range to prove that my Glock 23 would function well with it.
    That is why I rely on independent tests and my own observation. You may want to look at my post with links to the tests done at LEO facilities around the country as well as the pics on the links to other pages. My tests confirmed what I read on those pages. I run at least 250 rounds of any ammo I plan to carry in my EDC before I actually starting to carry it. To be sure it is 100% reliable and accurate. I get a chance to shoot more than a couple of rounds into milk jugs and newspaper. Would like to invest in a Bullet Tube test or some Simtest so I could do some Ballistic Gel like tests. Anyway I was more than a little disappointed with what I saw from Rangers and wish I had gotten only a box or two instead of a box of 500 that I ended up shooting off at the range it was so useless. Making that my most expensive range session in over 30 years of shooting.
    Thankfully the Federal HST surpassed my expectations but ended up costing me a bit extra because I did get two boxs to test for performance before ordering the box of 500 rounds.
    I have seen good reports on DPX but due to its lighter weight its penetration and performance through barriers if questionable. I also have to wonder what the effect of the reduced mass (weight) has on energy transfer into your target. Would be interested in hearing any info you have regarding those issues

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    The Golden Saber is an excellent round and was my defensive handgun choice for years until I just recently changed over to the Winchester Ranger 155gr. load.
    Hoss
    Think you may want to look at those links too. You were better off with the Golden Saber they perform far better than the Rangers. Not as well as HST but way better than Rangers JMO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links