Breeching Frangible Shotgun slugs

This is a discussion on Breeching Frangible Shotgun slugs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am completely ignorant on this subject I have never seen Breeching Frangible Shotgun slugs much less shot any. I have just been reviewing Polyshok ...

Thread: Breeching Frangible Shotgun slugs

I am completely ignorant on this subject I have never seen Breeching Frangible Shotgun slugs much less shot any. I have just been reviewing Polyshok shotgun ammo and came across this breeching ammo that has some of the same characteristics. If I am reading this correctly it is saying is that this ammo explodes on impact disintegrating into fine metal dust. So the question is what does it do if it is shot into soft tissue? Does it explode inside the targets body, the fine metal particles causing the temporary wound cavity to be permanent? Does anyone have any experience with any of this anyone know the result of it being used as anti personal ammo instead of door breeching Is there any significant penetration before it explodes disintegrates? If there is it sounds like wickedly effect HD ammo. Anyone know?

From Ammunition To Go
    This is 12 Gauge Door Breaching Ammo. This ammo is manufactured by A.L.S. Technologies, the leading producer of tactical 12 Gauge Ammo. This ammo contains a 325gr. compressed copper hollow cavity slug. When this slug is fired into a solid object the compressed copper explodes, causing extensive damage to the object. It is used to blow hinges and locks off of wood and steel doors. The slug turns back to a copper powder after it explodes into the target to minimize the danger of injuring someone on the other side of the door. This is military and law enforcement grade door breaching rounds. They are 2 3/4" rounds.
    From Federal Premium Law Enforcement
    The new Tactical® Door Breach from Federal Premium® Law Enforcement allows quick entry and minimizes collateral damage. This load uses a frangible slug in a 2-3/4" 12 gauge configuration to defeat doors effectively. The powdered steel-based product breaks up on impact, meaning a slug or other projectile doesn't penetrate the door. This limits the possibility of collateral damage on the other side.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Does anyone have any experience with any of this anyone know the result of it being used as anti personal ammo instead of door breeching Is there any significant penetration before it explodes disintegrates? If there is it sounds like wickedly effect HD ammo. Anyone know?
    Here we go again...above and beyond the call of simple stopping power. We're not lighting the Olympic torch with a human here. The authorities will be depending on a whole body for identification. Not picking pieces off the walls and ceilings, or scraping the carpet for DNA samples. It's easier than that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Here we go again...above and beyond the call of simple stopping power. We're not lighting the Olympic torch with a human here. The authorities will be depending on a whole body for identification. Not picking pieces off the walls and ceilings, or scraping the carpet for DNA samples. It's easier than that IMO.
    The question is not if the stuff blows up despite the marketing hype. It is not an explosive round but it does appear on paper to be capable of creating a massive wound cavity. If you have knowledge that it does or does not sharing that is what would be helpful. If not we share the level of expertise on the subject. That said I don't get the content or purpose of your post

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

A test

The only test I could think of:
    The Box O' Truth #25 - Breaching Rounds - Page 1
    Not sure of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I am completely ignorant on this subject I have never seen Breeching Frangible Shotgun slugs much less shot any. I have just been reviewing Polyshok shotgun ammo and came across this breeching ammo that has some of the same characteristics. If I am reading this correctly it is saying is that this ammo explodes on impact disintegrating into fine metal dust. So the question is what does it do if it is shot into soft tissue? Does it explode inside the targets body, the fine metal particles causing the temporary wound cavity to be permanent? Does anyone have any experience with any of this anyone know the result of it being used as anti personal ammo instead of door breeching Is there any significant penetration before it explodes disintegrates? If there is it sounds like wickedly effect HD ammo. Anyone know?
    The question is not if the stuff blows up despite the marketing hype. It is not an explosive round but it does appear on paper to be capable of creating a massive wound cavity. If you have knowledge that it does or does not sharing that is what would be helpful. If not we share the level of expertise on the subject. That said I don't get the content or purpose of your post
    Never mind...I think we'll let the jury decide this one.

Polyshok ammo does not explode. The "projectile" is made from particulate lead, compressed into a plastic cylinder. There's a plastic cap in front of the lead with a roughly conical shaped protrusion that extends into the lead charge. This plastic cap forces the compressed particulate lead to break up upon impact.

After passing through it, they are supposed to be non lethal 10 feet behind a standard interior wall.

I have shot them though small water jugs with a cardboard backstop. Every once in a while, you'll see where a section of the wad impacts the cardboard but nothing else goes through. The cardboard gets wet and the small pieces of lead can be seen in the water on the surface it.

The last time I spoke with a representative from the company, no human had been shot with one. Several large animals (including a moose) have been shot with them and the anecdotal reports were favorable. A few major police departments have adopted the shell and it is just a matter of time before human wounding characteristics are known.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Never mind...I think we'll let the jury decide this one.
    You are right I do not think I was very articulate regarding my questions. My using the word "explode" from the marketing hype was a bad choice. I assumed others would grasp what was being talked about. Not think I was saying the round is explosive the way C4 is but that the powder or whatever these are loaded with appear to disburse or expand in an explosive manner on impact. I should know better than to assume, especially on these boards. Any suggestions on how to phrase that differently than explode?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Polyshok ammo does not explode. The "projectile" is made from particulate lead, compressed into a plastic cylinder. There's a plastic cap in front of the lead with a roughly conical shaped protrusion that extends into the lead charge. This plastic cap forces the compressed particulate lead to break up upon impact.
    Good explanation, I was thinking more about breeching ammo as it seemed to be have a similar compressed particulate lead "projectile". I gathered that Polyshock is committed to making this available to LEO ONLY. So my interest in it is only academic. Is there a link or review of what the effect the PolyShock had on the moose?

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The only test I could think of:
    The Box O' Truth #25 - Breaching Rounds - Page 1
    Not sure of the brand.
    Good link, it does look like it can make a pretty ugly wound or what did he call it 400 grains of death. Vaporized those two jugs. That helps but it still left the wound cavity question open. Does the round penetrate than the powder whatever stuff expands inside or does it expand on the surface creating a crater in effect. If so how big deep wide of a crater. I could see the value of the BG having 4 or 5 inch crater with his guts falling out. Probably stop any further aggressive action if he has to hold his guts in.
    This may be only answerable by a cadaver test unless some one has another idea. Would it be against the rules to test one of these on an insurgent in the sand box? Disregard that testing ammo effectiveness in the midst of combat had got to be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever had. Wonder if shooting road kill with some test rounds would be legal, in a couple of months there will be more than a few laying along the roads around here. Wet newspaper test maybe. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Scott; August 19th, 2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling error resulting in profanity

Is there a link or review of what the effect the PolyShock had on the moose?
    Not that I know of. The moose incident was mentioned in a telephone conversation I had with a representative of Polyshok.

Randy

Links