Winchester Ranger ammo?

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For home defense ammo to be used in my Glock 19 it was suggested by several people that I try Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ ammo ...

Thread: Winchester Ranger ammo?

Winchester Ranger ammo?

For home defense ammo to be used in my Glock 19 it was suggested by several people that I try Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ ammo which has a velocity of 1335 (FPS) and muzzle energy of 455(ft.-lbs.). They told me that this ammo is very effective at stopping BGS. Do any shooters have any info on this ammo--such as street proven,etc.? I was advised to use this weight in my home to lower the ammos chances of going thru walls ,etc.

Thanks for any info you can give me about this ammo!
    Cat-O-Matic

2. Remove Ads

I carry Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ in my Kahr MK9, very controllable recoil, medium weight bullet and low flash compared to Winchester white box. I wish I could help out with more meaningful ballistics.

+P+

The 115gr Ranger +P+ is not the "SXT" or "Talon" or "Black Talon" or whatever they call it now. It is a plain JHP loaded hot. Not the same as the 127gr +P+ SXT load. It has worked on the street, those who study Marshall and or Sanow like it. I think Ammoman or Ammunition to Go has them. I know Cheaperthandirt has the same load from Federal, as well as a 124gr +P+ Hydra Shok. Those are the only +P+ loads that are common. On Defensivecarry, PM "SCGunguy" He's the man for the SXTs. There are plenty of +P loads that are easier to find that might also have what you need. There is a plain 124gr SXT Ranger +P that's nice. Remington makes a Gold Saber 124 +P. Cor Bon has a 115gr +P that's as fast as the Ranger +P+. There is a 124gr +P version of the EFMJ that shoots great in my Uzi. They have a bonded JHP too. Gold Dot comes in +P, is bonded, and is a favorite of many shooters. If you like a fast and fragmenting bullet for defense, get JHPs, if you prefer deep penetration, look to the bonded stuff or EFMJs. I prefer the JHP personally, Cor Bon 115gr +P is in my dedicated HD Glock 17. My thoughts are that I have the 9mm because it's easy to shoot quickly and accurately and delivers enough power for me to be comfortable defending my family with it. I think there's a point where you increase the recoil and blast with a +P+ to the point you loose the benefits of the 9mm and you could just move up to a .40 if the 9mm doesn't give you what you want energy wise.

Penetration is obstacles is related to bullet construction and energy and the surface struck. Consider all three.

AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    CORBON Conventional JHP
    Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

1943 - 2009
    On Defensivecarry, PM "SCGunguy"
    Or click on his sponsor banner at the top of the main page.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    For home defense ammo to be used in my Glock 19 it was suggested by several people that I try Winchester Ranger 115 +P+ ammo which has a velocity of 1335 (FPS) and muzzle energy of 455(ft.-lbs.). They told me that this ammo is very effective at stopping BGS. Do any shooters have any info on this ammo--such as street proven,etc.? I was advised to use this weight in my home to lower the ammos chances of going thru walls ,etc.

Thanks for any info you can give me about this ammo!
    Cat-O-Matic
    I carry a .45 and used to use Rangers. Than when I shot some and saw that they rarely had sharp petals they are supposed to be known for. Expansion was inconsistent and they had a tendency to separate. So I did some reading and study learning that my findings where consistent with everything I could find. Rangers do not do well shot through sheet rock, window, auto glass. Expansion is all over the board typically separating and looking like rounded ball without any petals. Remmington Golden Sabers are far more consistent performing but also separate though not as often as Rangers and do not have the penetration or expansion of Federal HST which out performs everything else by every measure I have seen

Here are a couple of links I posted on another thread. Federal HST by far out performs every other bullet I have seen and studied. No matter what they are shot through or into hey are the most consistent performing and expanding round available. Ammunition To Go! keeps a supply available with decent prices and excellent service. They of course carry other premium ammo, Rangers Gold Dots, Golden Sabers etc all of which they tend to have in stock.

This first set are tests done at LEO facilities around the country and provide a great deal of comparative information of several different brands of ammo including Rangers and HST. They are downloadable PDF files so you will need Adobe Acrobat to read them if you do not have Adobe Acrobat . You can download it
    Here

Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with some pretty dramatic pics of different SD ammo from a two different sites. Nothing like seeing the expansion difference side by side. Lots of 9mm pics
    ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

There is also a rather informative thread here with pics at Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other premium SD ammunition. By the time I did this I no longer had any expanded .45 Ranger rounds. To be honest after I shot some HST and compared it to Ranger I was pretty ticked. I had just bought over $200 of Rangers that I ended up shooting at targets. The .45 Rangers look pretty much like the .380 Rangers except larger but not nearly as large as the HST or even the Golden Sabers
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Thank-You Sir for the information you provided! I already have Federals HST-147gr. ammo and find thru the information you provided that I would be crazy to use anything else but HST's for both their consistancy in both expansion, penetration and this ammo's construction in allowing the bullet to remain intact after being shot! Again thank-You for taking the time to enlighten me about this ammo!
    -Semper Fi Till The Day I Die!
    Cat-O-Matic

Please be sure the function 100% reliably in your gun. I normally put about 250 rounds through the gun I intend on using it in before I will carry it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links