Is Winchester 115 +P+ good enough for home defense?

This is a discussion on Is Winchester 115 +P+ good enough for home defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 19 and it has ben suggested by different people I know to use Winchester 115 +P+ for home defense! I am ...

I have a Glock 19 and it has ben suggested by different people I know to use Winchester 115 +P+ for home defense! I am aware of its stats- 1335 ft. per sec out of the muzzle + 455 ft.- lbs coming out of the muzzle - but stats don't always give you the real picture of what any round can do to a BG!

Does anyone have thoughts on this ammo for home defense? Does it have any proven street record, etc! Thank you for any info you can share! - Cat-o-matic

I have no idea of it's reputed performance but, with accurate bullet placement, a bad guy could be said to be having a bad day if his assault was stopped by a good guy wielding the load.

Personally I'm not to picky about my self defense ammunition. Ranger SXT, Corbon DPX, Federal Hydrashock, Rem Golden Sabre, etc are all going to do enough damage to your threat if you hit him till he drops and doesn't move even one more twitch.

I tend to like Corbon DPX all copper composition for it's ability to stay in tact without any threat of the jacket separation from poor barrel wear and or if your having to shoot through barriers, such as a windshield, which is highly unlikely, but you never know if you might have to engage from within your own personally owned vehicle.

I like any of the above mentioned loads, especially when I find good deals on them.

In the 9mm genre I generally go for +P or +P+ loads. It's hard to argue with those types of loads.

If you look at one my mags, you'll probably see a mixed bag of Corbon, Ranger SXT and some Federal Hydra's. No method to that madness, just what's in the bag and ready to be stuffed into a mag.

Although if I can ever lay my hands on LeMas ammunition then I'm going with it.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Moderator
    I use 124 gr Gold Dots or 124 gr Golden Sabre Standard pressure as my prefered Defensive rounds.

With a quality bullet any round that is well placed will do its job.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I think +P or +P+ is unnec and will excessively wear you gun,
    unless you save it for an actual confrontation- then it may surprise
    you since you did not practice with it. If 9mm is not enough, which
    it is, get a bigger gun.

I'd say that's plenty good for HD, but what I'd be worried about is over penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I have a Glock 19 and it has ben suggested by different people I know to use Winchester 115 +P+ for home defense! I am aware of its stats- 1335 ft. per sec out of the muzzle + 455 ft.- lbs coming out of the muzzle - but stats don't always give you the real picture of what any round can do to a BG!

Does anyone have thoughts on this ammo for home defense? Does it have any proven street record, etc! Thank you for any info you can share! - Cat-o-matic
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Its about shot placement as been mentioned here, however statistics say if you get shot with a handgun you have an 80% chance of surviving. Get a shotgun for home defense..its what I'm going to do.

Read the article of the pensacola navy man that shot bg1 once...wasn't enough shot him again and bg1 still managed to expire OUTSIDE of the house. If he survived with two shotgun blasts he may very well survive any 9mm round that does not go through the heart or head.

I carry a .45 and used to use Rangers. Than when I shot some and saw that they rarely had sharp petals they are supposed to be known for. Expansion was inconsistent and they had a tendency to separate. So I did some reading and study learning that my findings where consistent with everything I could find. Rangers do not do well shot through sheet rock, window, auto glass. Expansion is all over the board typically separating and looking like rounded ball without any petals. Remmington Golden Sabers are far more consistent performing but also separate though not as often as Rangers and do not have the penetration or expansion of Federal HST which out performs everything else by every measure I have seen

Here are a couple of links I posted on a couple of other threads. Federal HST by far out performs every other bullet I have seen and studied. No matter what they are shot through or into hey are the most consistent performing and expanding round available. Ammunition To Go! keeps a supply available with decent prices and excellent service. They of course carry other premium ammo, Rangers Gold Dots, Golden Sabers etc all of which they tend to have in stock.

This first set are tests done at LEO facilities around the country and provide a great deal of comparative information of several different brands of ammo including Rangers and HST. They are downloadable PDF files so you will need Adobe Acrobat to read them if you do not have Adobe Acrobat . You can download it
    Here

Los Angeles County - California
    Riverside - California
    Santa Clara - California
    Fresno County - California
    Kern County - California
    Sacramento County - California
    San Angelo - Texas
    Pierce County Workshop - Washington
    San Diego County Workshop - California
    Portland Police Bureau - Oregon

The following are links to pages with some pretty dramatic pics of different SD ammo from a two different sites. Nothing like seeing the expansion difference side by side. Lots of 9mm pics
    ballistics testing - round 1 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 2 - varied 9mm JHP's
    ballistics testing - round 3 - varied 9mm JHP's - shooting through tshirts
    ballistics testing - round 5 - comparing 9mm JHP velocities
    ballistics testing - round 6 - Federal HST 9mm vs 45 acp
    ballistics testing - round 7 - shooting through denim - 9 mm, 45 acp, and 357 magnum

Terminal Ballistics .45 ACP
    Terminal Ballistics 9mm

There is also a rather informative thread here with pics at Federal HST vs, Hydra-Shock pics

Below is a pic of my rather meager example of HST compared to some other premium SD ammunition. By the time I did this I no longer had any expanded .45 Ranger rounds. To be honest after I shot some HST and compared it to Ranger I was pretty ticked. I had just bought over $200 of Rangers that I ended up shooting it all up at targets. The .45 Rangers look pretty much like the .380 Rangers except larger but not nearly as large as the HST or even the Golden Sabers
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

How about Corbon DPX or the new Powerball...I see James Yeager recommends them but is it because their as good as they say? or because of interest behind it. I see the advantage to it however that it (acts) as a FMj because of the polymer ball, which would then push back and assist in expansion

Links