Would you be willing to give up some of your rights - Page 3

Would you be willing to give up some of your rights

This is a discussion on Would you be willing to give up some of your rights within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me think for a moment....NO....

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to produce Id and background check to buy ammo?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if it would help hinder BG from buying ammo

16 5.73%
  • NO, I don’t want the Government to know when I buy ammo

263 94.27%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you be willing to give up some of your rights

bae
    Let me think for a moment....NO.

VIP Member
    Would you be willing to produce Id and background check to buy ammo?
    Yes, if it would help hinder BG from buying ammo
    We've been there done that in this country, it was a waisted
    exercise.

ahhhh NO!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    New findings from FBI about cop attackers and their weapons

This article came up in a thread regarding what type of bullets BG us. Very interesting read, and freighting to know BG are not only carrying quality handguns but are also being trained by ex-military, and practice more than most LEO's.

My question is this: In an effort to make it hard for convicted felons to purchase ammo, would you be willing to give up some of your rights to allow the Government to require ID and a background check prior to buying ammo?
    NO!!!

I think that pretty well sums it up.

Biker

No way. No how. Never!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The purpose of the US Constitution is to limit the power of government, not provide some nebulous wispy feely "safety".

The Preamble(sung to the tune of school house rock):

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The only time the word security is used it is to "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity".

Buying ammo with government spying or registration or "micro-stamping" does not "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity".-Jay
    Last edited by Jason Rogers; August 19th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

I vote yes, I feel most BG's dont buy their arms legally. off the street, saturday night specials, black market.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Why must the law abiding give up anything because of those who don't.
    * When the restriction is reasonable.
    * When the restriction is not a path to prohibition.
    * Reasonable restriction can safeguard rights.
    * When an unrestricted right causes harm to the law abiding (for example yelling fire in a theater, as people are trampled, does not define you right to freedom of expression).

This post will get an easy to predict result.

IMO gun-owners should not be crazies yelling "...from my cold dead hand!" What is cool for a spokesperson to say is not always the right reaction for a reasonable restriction.

I'm not saying ammo restrictions are 100% reasonable. I'm just saying, we should have a check on out gut reactions. Otherwise we are no better than the anti-gun crowd.

Having restrictions, like preventing the sale of hand guns in vending machines, does not "take our freedoms away." Likewise a reasonable restriction on ammo, MIGHT, be a good idea.

Most BG's will steal, get from a friend, or get a firearm from a criminal market.

I think MOST get the ammo from a retail location. Not that many re-load black market rings out there. Retail ammo is reliable, better priced then a criminal market, and easy to get.

Having something like a five year permit (id card) to purchase ammo (back ground check every 5 years) MIGHT be a good idea.

due to the phrasing i am content with my vote..

yes i would be willing to SHOW (but not have recorded) a form of ID such as a weapon liscense IF and only IF it actually stopped criminals.

but in reality they would get their ammo the same way they get their guns, they would have someone with a clear record and a drug addiction to buy the ammo and trade them drugs for it, nobody checks for "stollen" ammunition because it is normally expended by the people who buy it.

it can't work, it wouldn't work, so no

(per the wording, yes. in reality no.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Since I proposed this question, you would naturally think I would be in favor of it, and while I would love to live in Plato’s crime free society, the facts are, we do not.

As some have said, if gun control would stop crime, then I would be the first to line up and turn my guns in. But we all know the cold hard facts, and that is only the “good guys’ would be turning in their guns. And BG’s would still buy there guns on the black market.

Same can be said for bullet registration:

In theory requiring background checks and Id to purchase ammo, would defiantly be a hindrance to BG’s wanting to target practice. But the reality of it is they would just get there girl friend or other who has no criminal record to go and buy it for them.

Sad truth, but all of these kinds of restrictions could be swept upon us overnight if all of our governments triad (President, legislature, Supreme Court) was to be controlled by gun fearing liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Besides, there would be a new black market in ammo to go along with the black market in guns.

These things just don't work well to solve real problems.
    No one said it will prevent the criminal from getting Ammo. The point is not to stop ammo from being sold in criminal markets.

There is a problem. BG are getting ammo at retail locations for their black market guns.

Not saying, for certain, ammo restrictions will work. Then again, I don't what unique id numbered ammo brass. That would shoot ammo up to an all time high. Anyone have a better solution?

"These things just don't work well to solve real problems." Then what does?

Since the poll only dealt with ammo, I voted "No". The government doesn't need to regulate ammo purchase.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

If you restrict ammo sales, the only thing you accomplish is giving the BGs another reason to break into my (or your) house. I don't really care if the BGs are buying all of their ammunition at Wal-Mart. They didn't get their guns legally, and if they can't get their ammo legally they'll get it through other means. Gun laws don't work any better than drug laws. I'm 54 years old and drugs have never been legal in my lifetime but that hasn't made them impossible, or even difficult, to get. The only thing drug laws have done is create a black market and vast criminal activity. Restrictions on ammunition would work no better. The only things that would happen are that the BGs would be using illegal sources and illegal means to get ammunition and the GGs would pay the price both in more criminal activity and in higher prices at the few remaining places willing to put up with the hassle of registering each and every box of ammunition. Do you think Wal-Mart is still going to sell ammo if they have to go through that much hassle? A simple "show your ID" is worthless. IDs are too easy to fake. Without running an actual background check each time you buy ammo, there would be no point and, as I've already said, if you prevent the BGs from getting ammo from a legitimate source, they'll just get it elsewhere.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    ...yes i would be willing to SHOW (but not have recorded)...
    Ya, I agree, but how would you prevent people from buying the ammo and selling it to people with out permits. The purchase needs to be traced by LE.

The anti-gun crowd is serious (and finding gun control success) by increasing the cost of ammo (taxes, id # ammo, etc) . They increase the cost, then after a while, show that the average owner is not accurate with a sidearm.

It is best to have gun owners who have practice with the side arm. I am willing to give up a little privacy to LE to safeguard my rights and keep costs down. Yes, as always, I am worried LE could track down all the guns and take them (this has often happened in world history).

However, in the current political climate, I assure everyone, if we don't give a little, we are going to lose a lot.

Agree to limited restrictions that will last 5 or 10 years. Then hopefully after 5 or 10 years, we would have a better, gun friendly, climate.

I am reading a lot into the poll, but it is the gut reaction from gun-owners that worries me. We get caught up trying to win an argument instead of keeping our eye on the true "right" and also creating the responsible image.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links