Training ammo that feeds like gold dots .45acp

This is a discussion on Training ammo that feeds like gold dots .45acp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all I am looking for a training round that feeds like the Gold Dot that I use as My SD load. If anyone can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training ammo that feeds like gold dots .45acp

Hey all

I am looking for a training round that feeds like the Gold Dot that I use as My SD load.
    If anyone can steer me in the right direction.
    I really am not concerned with anything more than insuring that these will feed like the Gold Dots.
    I just bought some 8 round Chip McCormick magazines and I want to run the gun to insure that I won't have any issues.
    I am using a DW CBOB.
    A: I want to make sure the mags will work.
    B: I want to make sure the rounds will work.
    C: I don't want to spend the amount that I would to shoot 200-300 rounds of premium ammo.

I will if I must but I would rather not.

Thanks in advance
    Mike V

1943 - 2009
    Any brand of FMJ (ball) ammo will work.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Not doubting you, (ok maybe just a little) but why do you say to use FMJ to mimic the feeding characteristic of a JHP. If that were the case than why do we here the "My so and so won't feed such and such". or are you saying that the way the the gun is made it make it a non issue?

Thanks
    MikeV

Try Speer Lawman ammo.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    Not doubting you, (ok maybe just a little) but why do you say to use FMJ to mimic the feeding characteristic of a JHP. If that were the case than why do we here the "My so and so won't feed such and such". or are you saying that the way the the gun is made it make it a non issue?

Thanks
    MikeV
    Because JHP rounds like the Gold Dot are not considered to be "training" ammo. You specified training ammo.

If you want to "mimic" the feeding characteristics of your GDs, try Winchester SXTs, Remington Golden Sabers, Hornady XTPs, or Federal Hydra-Shoks. Of course, these are all premium SD rounds but they should certainly feed like GDs. However, you'll pay for them, which is what you said you didn't want to do.

Maybe you should restate your question. I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I do appologize,

What I would like to do it to find out if there is anything susch as an inexpensive JHP out there that you would say, "If it can eat this it will eat the Gold Dot without any worries." For example, the Speer Lawman was reccommended and I found that it is just about half the price of Gold Dots. Something along those lines.

Thanks
    MikeV

I think on the box of speer lawman, it states that speer lawman is "designed to be the companion" for those using gold dots.

Quote Originally Posted by mourneblade View Post
    I think on the box of speer lawman, it states that speer lawman is "designed to be the companion" for those using gold dots.
    Thanks I will do some investigating and if the bullets are similiar I think this may work for half the price.

Thanks for this info. If anyone else has an option similiar to this, I will appreciate the input.

BTW Welcome to the Forum
    MikeV

training ammo

If you're looking for cheap 230gr JHPs, try Remington's L45AP7B, a 100 round value pack of UMC 230gr JHP. The L45AP7 is the same load in 50 round boxes. It's a 230gr JHP at a similar velocity as the Gold Dot, no nickle case or flash suppressed powder though.
    Remington UMC Handgun Ammunition

Winchester lists a 230gr JHP in the USA line, similar specs:
    Centerfire Handgun

Actually, for stockpiling ammo such as for SHTF reasons, they both are pretty good stuff. Defensive ammo at a reasonable price. My local Wal Mart carries the USA load. It should stand in for your Gold Dots fine, just spend the cash to shoot a bunch of the Gold Dots, too.

If you just want a bullet with the same profile as the JHP, Winchester also lists a FMJ flat point in their 100 round USA packs:
    http://www.winchester.com/products/c...UgQXV0b21hdGlj

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    Try Speer Lawman ammo.
    Ditto! These should mimic the Gold Dots, if using the same grain bullet.

1943 - 2009
    I do appologize,

What I would like to do it to find out if there is anything susch as an inexpensive JHP out there that you would say, "If it can eat this it will eat the Gold Dot without any worries." For example, the Speer Lawman was reccommended and I found that it is just about half the price of Gold Dots. Something along those lines.

Thanks
    MikeV
    Ah, now it makes sense!

I agree with Superhouse 15's recommendation of the Winchester & Remington loads. I've used both and found them entirely satisfactory.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    If it feeds it feeds. Use another round to see if something
    will feed won't work, only the rnd in question determines if it will feed.
    So shoot ball ammo for fun and function testing, it usually works; use brand X hollow points and it only means brand X works.

Administrator

MIKEV

Just a friendly suggestion.
    You are carrying a high quality firearm and obviously realize the importance of having good quality magazines.

Your firearm SHOULD ideally feed all ammunition configurations equally and reliably with the exception of very underpowered loads that would require a change-over to a lighter weight recoil spring.

If your carry does not handle many and various ammunition types with equal reliability then it can EASILY be tuned to do so.

The way I would go for my carry firearm if it had problems with certain ammunition/bullet configurations would be to have a "Street Reliability" tune-up done on it - and then you can pretty much shoot everything that exists out there in the "ammo world" with no problems or concerns .

lawman is possible and so is low cost HP -- BUT

LE - Lawman

Some detail on Lawman and you can check out Gold Dot to get a "performance" comparison (consistent pressure and velocity so that YOU can see it doing what it will more likely do with your SD round).

Plus some are flat nose so it might give you some idea on feeding and such - or might not.

Plus the idea of using lower cost HP may help as well.

But the "lawman" thing will give you almost the same "feel" and recoil pulse that your SD does and the other brands WILL NOT.

In the end it would be "WORTH your LIFE" to test with actual SD rounds but for a constant function test... these are good alternatives.

So what IS your life worth to you?
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

I do appologize,

Thanks
    MikeV
    I don't think this is a well reasoned consideration, no offense intended. If you want to know if a gun will feed Gold Dots without any worries, ostensibly I would assume this is for reasons of self defense, then you need to test with Gold Dots. Yes, other ammo may be similar, but the bottom line is knowing not what is similar, but what your particular gun will or will not do with a given make and model of ammo.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links