Defensive Carry banner

Low price target 45 ACP ammo

35K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Sergeant Mac 
#1 ·
I always hear people talk about where to find low priced(not cheap quality) ammo out there. I thought maybe someone online has something low priced but I never see it compared to the local Wal Mart that sells Winchester 45 ACP FMJ 230 gr by 100 round boxes for $29.99. Everything I see online costs more then that everywhere. Was just curious if that is about as low as you can get anywhere for target ammo or if anyone knew of somewhere that gets any lower then that. Was just curious even though I think that price is hard to beat.

#2 ·
It is hard to beat. Especially after you factor in shipping for an on-line purchase. I went to 9 mm. so the ammo is cheaper yet, but I still stock up at W/M.
The price everywhere is going up, so pick up a couple boxes every time you shop.

Every time someone says there is a great deal online, I go there and find it's not such a great deal anymore.

#3 ·
I have yet to find anyone that sells ammunition cheaper than Wal-Mart. The CCI Blazer (brass case) run about $14 for 50 in .45 acp. I bought a 9mm for more target shooting. Normally, I believe 9mm runs $9 for a box of 50 for CCI Blazer Brass. However, today Academy Sports (Sporting Goods chain down here) was running CCI Blazer 9mm for $7.49 a box (in the aluminum case) which is the first time I've seen anyone cheaper than Wal-Mart. I bought a case of it (1000 rounds) just to have for plinkin ammo.

For me, I want to shoot alot, but can't afford to shoot hundreds of rounds of .45 acp. So I bought two guns that are almost identical (one in .45 and the other in 9mm). I shoot the 9mm for more practice, and carry the .45 on a daily basis (although I have no hesitation carrying the 9mm).

#5 ·
I guess I might get a 9mm for target practice if ammo is that cheap, although I will always prefer to carry a 45 for personal carry. Still have preferred a 45 to the 9mm.

#4 ·
Check around local for the Independence and Speer Lawman brands of ammo in the 50ct boxes for $14 or less. That's what I've been getting lately for the 45acp. I have yet to have any problems out of them.

#7 ·
Once in a while, I can get Independence ammo a bit cheaper on sale but most of the time, Wal-Mart has the best price.

#11 ·
I think you are all right, no one online can beat it. They offer to see it for close to the same price but once you add shipping its just a waste of time and money. Guess I'll have to buy in bulk from them at walmart.

#12 ·
Pick up that pile of nickels!

Wouldn't you pick up a pile of nickels that you dropped?
Save your brass!!! There is a ready buyer. That further reduces the cost of your ammo. For example, .45acp brass at $50.00 per thousand or $5.00 per hundred can help! That's a nickel a piece.

Match and target shooters require an assortment of different bullets, powders and loads, and use ammo that is more accurate than the Wal-Mart "white box".

They need to find the combination of components that shoot most accurately from their firearm.

#13 ·
Georgia Arms sells a thousand rounds of .45 ACP (230gr) for $280. They will ship to me for $22, so I am paying $302 for 20 boxes. That's $15.10 per 50 to my front door. I also get the nice ammo cans to go with that, and I will take Georgia Arms over WWB on quality any day. To my mind, I am getting a better deal than the Wal-Mart shoppers, not to mention the fact that I don't have to deal with Wal-Mart or hump the ammo around myself. Oh, yeah, and I don't risk having anybody keep ammo purchase records on me in state...

I also get 147gr 9mm by the case for under $12 per 50 delivered. If I order both at the same time, I save in shipping and the price goes down from there.

I have been saving brass for a while, so soon I will be taking care of my own practice ammo, though.

#16 ·
Georgia Arms sells a thousand rounds of .45 ACP (230gr) for $280. They will ship to me for $22, so I am paying $302 for 20 boxes. That's $15.10 per 50 to my front door. I also get the nice ammo cans to go with that, and I will take Georgia Arms over WWB on quality any day. To my mind, I am getting a better deal than the Wal-Mart shoppers, not to mention the fact that I don't have to deal with Wal-Mart or hump the ammo around myself. Oh, yeah, and I don't risk having anybody keep ammo purchase records on me in state...

I also get 147gr 9mm by the case for under $12 per 50 delivered. If I order both at the same time, I save in shipping and the price goes down from there.

I have been saving brass for a while, so soon I will be taking care of my own practice ammo, though.
Well this ammo is Winchester ammo, not some walmart ammo so I think I will trust Winchester over someone I never heard of, although I'm willing to look at them. However at $280 per 1000 and $22 for shipping, that equals $302, vs buying a 1000 rounds at walmart here at $29.99, total $299.99 plus TX sales tax of 8.25% is $24.75 so total is close to $325, so I guess to save $23 and wait for it in the mail, might be fine to save a little money. However there is no ammo records kept, at least here in TX, maybe they do that where you are though. Trust me though this about the only merchandise I buy from Walmart.

#14 ·
I paid $160 this past weekend for 500 rounds at a local gun show. Its new brass. Dallas Reloading did the bullets. They have been around for many years. I buy from them when I am low and need to restock my supplies.

#15 ·
I got a half-case(500rnd) of Remingtons at Dicks Sporting Goods in VA for I think it was $129&change about 6 months ago. I haven't bought .45 in bulk since then. Been buying onesie twosie here and there lately.

#17 ·
Husker Fan, I am certainly not twisting your arm or anything, :smile: but in my experience I have seen a higher rate of set-back bullets and dented cases in Winchester White Box (WWB) than I have in about 5,000 rounds I have bought from GA-Arms at this point. I hadn't heard of them, either, until somebody at my IDPA club pointed them out to me, but I have been very happy with the results so far.

The ammo cans also make a great place to store saved brass until I start my own reloading! :hand10:

#18 ·
Well maybe you have, I've shot them for years and never had a problem with any loading or ejecting. Matter of fact I have had a problem with "premium" defense rounds jamming up though that cost stupid money for them. So you never know, just like a $1,000 you would think would be less to malfuntion then a $500 one. I hear more people saying their 1911's jam them either my Glock or Ruger and mine are usually hundreds of dollars less. But I do appreciate the input, I'll check them out.

#20 ·
opps sorry can't write a sentence properly! I meant a $1,000 firearm vs a $500 one. sorry

#22 ·
I might be wrong but i believe loaded ammo requires a hazmat fee also which is 20.00 on top of shipping,the only cheap ammo i get for plinking is i load my own

#24 ·
Party on!

No HazMat fee for shipping Ammo. Just regular FedEx or UPS fees.

Pick up your brass! That's another $2.50 per box or $50.00 per 1000 discount when you sell it! I adds up fast if you shoot a lot.

I buy .380, .40, .45, .223. .308 & 5.7x28.

I guess you could also pay for a kegger!

:bier::018: PARTY-ON! :018::bier:

#25 ·
I know this post was from a little while ago about cheap .45 but I just found some cci blazer at Natchez shooting supply for 11.99 a box. For me, it would come out to 268 for a case including shipping and handling. Just a heads up for anyone looking...

#28 ·
Just got a flyer in the mail from Dick's,.45 ACP & .40 S&W Remington UMC Ammo is $14.98 Bx of 50rds if you buy 10bxs or more. 9mm is $7.98 Bx.

#29 ·
You can get ammo at Dick's slightly cheaper than Walmart when they put it on sale. However, I would surmise that for most people there is a Walmart around the corner from them and the fuel cost to drive to Dick's when they have it on sale would eat up any savings. Long story, short. Walmart.

#30 ·
Actually, around here anyway, Wal-Mart's everyday price on WWB is slightly cheaper than Dick's sale price on UMC: $29.96/100@Dick's versus $29.88/100@Wally. And from what JAT40 posted, Dick's requires you to buy 500 rounds to get that price. Some Wal-Marts have 250 round boxes for $65 or so.

Wal-Mart is closer, cheaper, with more convenient quantities, and I can get it anytime for that price. Oh, and my nearest Dick's is across the state line in Chattanooga -- while I do go there often, their sales tax is about 30% higher than here! So Wally is better for me all around, at least until I make up my mind on reloading gear.

#32 ·
Let me add a +1 for Georgia Arms...

It is cheaper, cleaner and more reliable than WWB. Additionally, I buy the 185gr 45ACP ($140 for 500 in a can, plus shipping) for my Kimber Ultra Carry II (3-inch barrel kicks like a mule when shooting 230gr.)

I also found their lead SWC, in 200 GR to be ideal for IDPA and paper target - nice big paper-punch holes. $13.50 for 50.

I prefer to buy at local gun shows, but have ordered from them and had great results (3-4 days total of $282 for 1,000 rds)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.