Defensive Carry banner

A New Old Fashioned Load

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  P95Carry 
#1 ·
All right here's the deal. I have some ideas about this, but thought I'd open it up to discussion. What is the ideal defense load in .38 Special (+P rated loads included) out of a full size revolver with a 4" barrel?

I'm thinking the various 125 grain loads made by various manufacturers are the way to go, but enlighten me here.

#2 ·
I'm a traditionalist Euc - meaning from choice I like to stick to 158's. Trouble is not many factory offerings for that in SD ammo and so - have pretty much fallen in with what is out there.

When I carried SP-101 I opted for the +P CorBons - 110 grain. Bit light for my taste but hey - they shot OK and I daresay they would ''get the job done''!

If I could be happy with homeloads, then to be honest I'd carry my own +P's with 158 cast Lyman SWC's. No HP's - just good solid penetrative (and partially deformable) projectiles. :wink:

(BTW - didn't say it earlier but - good to see you back in the fold :smile: )

#5 ·
Including +P and out of a fullsized revolver? I'd have to give Buffalo Bore's 38special ammo a close look. They advertise a gaschecked 158gr LSWC-HP at 1000fps from a 2" j-frame barrel and a 135gr GoldDot at 1050fps from a 2" j-frame. They're expensive at $20/20, but you're not going to use them as plinking ammo. I'd buy two boxes, one to learn how it shoots and the other for "duty".

That said, I reload, so I'd be tempted to roll my own, but BB is there if you don't or won't reload.

Chris

#6 · (Edited)
I would not, and have heard others on this forum express the same thought, not carry hand loads for a defensive weapon. Its mostly for legal reasons. should they ever come into play its something for a prosecuting attorney to chew on ya about in court. the same reasoning as not using a customized gun for defensive reasons. just more ammo to be chewed up over in court.
just my 2 cents worth since there are plenty of factory loads that are plenty effective.
take it for what its worth.

#7 ·
SOLOLUCKY said:
I would not, and have heard others on this forum express the same thought, not carry hand loads for a defensive weapon. Its mostly for legal reasons. should they ever come into play its something for a prosecuting attorney to chew on ya about in court. the same reasoning as not using a customized gun for defensive reasons. just more ammo to be chewed up over in court.
just my 2 cents worth since there are plenty of factory loads that are plenty effective.
take it for what its worth.
Nobody has ever shown where it was a factor in a court case. The simple act of using a gun for self defense opens you up for liability.

Besides, if I use Speer Gold Dots in Speer cases, for example, how are they going to know? Who's going to bother analyzing powder residue in the hope that they find something?

And what's the difference between one person's handloads and the loads of a "boutique" shop like Buffalo Bore or DoubleTap?

Chris

#12 ·
Steve - many thx - oh well CTD - just never even thought to look there. I will go explore. Maybe time I had some on hand.

Thx again. Best.

#14 ·
Use that load tele - and a BG will not only be flash blind (so may the shooter LOL) - but at least a poor hit will be compensated by the stink probably putting him down :icon16:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.