148gr Wadcutter as Defensive Round?

This is a discussion on 148gr Wadcutter as Defensive Round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize their are better choices for those who are healthy, but for defensive purposes would the .38 148gr wadcutter be a viable round?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I realize their are better choices for those who are healthy, but for defensive purposes would the .38 148gr wadcutter be a viable round?

Senior Moderator
    That depends.

Commercial wad-cutters are loaded at low velocity as they are meant specifically for target practice. They were developed to cut a nice clean hole in the target to make it easier to score the target.

As they are, I would say NO they are not adequate.

If you load them yourself, and push them up to much higher velocity, they might be OK. If you push them too high you will blow the hollow bases out and accuracy will be poor, if they are hollow based wad-cutters, as most are.

There are much better rounds out there. If you are concerned about recoil issues, then try the "Self Defense" rounds that have less recoil than standard ammo.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Before the days of effective JHPs, solid wadcutters were loaded hot, Hollow base WCs were loaded backwards, all in an attempt to improve 38sp. effectiveness. There were some hot loads listed back then. Modern jhps have made them obsolete IMHO. Game Warden I knew was killed years ago after shooting the BG in the head with a 38 wadcutter load. Fellow shot him with a 32 and left him to bleed to death.

A .38 wadcutter loaded backwards is a really nasty round. It will do the job!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

1943 - 2009
    for defensive purposes would the .38 148gr wadcutter be a viable round?
    The answer to this question is a qualified "yes", under certain limited conditions, like very short range and a "soft" target.

The original U.S. Customs Sky Marshals in the 1970s were issued 2 inch S&W Model 60s and 148 grain WC ammo, the idea being that the wadcutters were less likely to penetrate an aircraft fuselage.

Wadcutters will do in a pinch if that's all you have, but there are much better choices available nowadays.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

As the Captain said, short range and soft target. On another site, WC were suggested for nightstand revolver loads for inside the home. WC are low velocity, with low recoil, and lower flash than other ammo. Being 100% lead, less likely to penetrate walls or ricochet around.
    Steve

I saw some pictures/article about reversed HBWC loads some years back. They fired them into wet magazines or something to see how they would expand. The base peeled back and opened-then the base or skirt broke away in little pieces, leaving a lead slug with the bore diameter to penetrate some more. It appears this idea did not work as well as intended, at least with that brand of bullet and that test media.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    I realize their are better choices for those who are healthy, but for defensive purposes would the .38 148gr wadcutter be a viable round?
    Does this mean that your not able to shoot a gun loaded with 38sp rounds of another nature, ie JHP, or JSP or whatever due to a medical condition?

If that is the case it seems that a different gun or a different caliber would be a better option instead of going with a low velocity round in that caliber.

What type of 38 do you use?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Better Choices!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That depends.

Commercial wad-cutters are loaded at low velocity as they are meant specifically for target practice. They were developed to cut a nice clean hole in the target to make it easier to score the target.

As they are, I would say NO they are not adequate.

If you load them yourself, and push them up to much higher velocity, they might be OK. If you push them too high you will blow the hollow bases out and accuracy will be poor, if they are hollow based wad-cutters, as most are.

There are much better rounds out there. If you are concerned about recoil issues, then try the "Self Defense" rounds that have less recoil than standard ammo.
    Hot Guns is correct!
    There are much better choices in .38!
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO IF YOU'RE ON FIRE OR DROWNING!

Benefactor Member NRA -- Life Member GOA -- Life (Christian) Member JPFO -- Card Carrying Minuteman

Smile 148 gr. HBWC

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    A .38 wadcutter loaded backwards is a really nasty round. It will do the job!

U.S. Army Veteran

I would feel more confident with a .38 Special 148 grain wadcutter at 725 fps than I would a .380. I can place my shots with more ease and accuracy with the .38 Special revolver than I likely can with any .380 and a blunt, relatively heavy, .357 diameter soft lead bullet is nothing to sneeze at.

Buffalo Bore has a non+p 150gr WC loaded to 868fps out of 2" barrel. Might kick a little more than you'd want though.

Too little penetration with a .38 HBWC backwards!
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO IF YOU'RE ON FIRE OR DROWNING!

Benefactor Member NRA -- Life Member GOA -- Life (Christian) Member JPFO -- Card Carrying Minuteman

Distinguished Member
    Maybe you are looking for something with less recoil because of health reasons, but I would use the old FBI load, 158 gr .38 +P HP lead semi wad cutters.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Maybe you are looking for something with less recoil because of health reasons, but I would use the old FBI load, 158 gr .38 +P HP lead semi wad cutters.
    +1. Here are some:
    Remington Express® Handgun Ammunition

Look at R38S12.

Other manufacturers make them, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links