LCP and the +P Buffalo Bore

This is a discussion on LCP and the +P Buffalo Bore within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I think I mentioned recently, I ordered some hot +P loads to carry in my LCP. Shot a box with nary a jam or ...

Thread: LCP and the +P Buffalo Bore

LCP and the +P Buffalo Bore

As I think I mentioned recently, I ordered some hot +P loads to carry in my LCP. Shot a box with nary a jam or a bobble. I think the Gold Dot bullet, with its rounded profile, helps a lot.

Recoil/controllability? There was more recoil than with Hornady XTP or some old yellow boxed WW I had. Did it hurt? Not in the least. Recoil was snappy, and the gun came back down as fast as it went up. I managed 10 yard groups in the 1" to 1 1/2" range.

As I think I also mentioned, I'm not shooting this stuff every day. At a buck a round, I'd go broke anyway. I don't feed my Chiefs +P .38spl ammo much at all, but it's what's in them when they're carried. Call me loony, but a round or five has never hurt a handgun that I owned. I nowadays usually carry a snub made for +P pressures, so the issue is moot, but you get my drift.

All in all, chrono results hovered around 1140 to 1150 from the LCP, 10 ft away.

Do I think the BB stuff is better than the Hornady, or any other major manufacturer? Idunno. Haven't seen enough shooting results with any of them from a gun this small to tell. I will simply say that, for ME, maybe not for everybody, but for ME, I'm loaded with the BB stuff. I like the extra velocity bump up.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten!"

--Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Sorry but I don't agree with loading a weapon with ammunition that is over rated for it. 380 and 40 Cal is not rated at +P ammunition. If you have a 380 or a 40 and want more, then buy a bigger gun, don't buy and put ammunition that is not rated for it in it. It can possibily hurt you more then help you. I can't imaging that it would improve accuracy in a pistol like a LCP. Just my opinion.

If it was blowing up guns they wouldn't be selling it.

I have shot a fair amount of the BB .380 stuff through my Mustang with absolutely no problems. It's what I carry. I practice with cheaper stuff, then shoot a few each time to make sure I'm hitting the same place. Ballistics are about the same as a standard .38 special load.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

It fires from a locked breach. It may well handle the warmer loads better than some other .380 pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It fires from a locked breach. It may well handle the warmer loads better than some other .380 pistols.
    Agreed. And I was a bit on pins and needles the first time I shot it with the BB stuff. It really didn't seem much different, however. No noticable increase in recoil or noise - maybe a tiny bit snappier. I did some tests comparing it with my .357 loaded with .38 specials and got really good penetration results. I've carried it ever since.

I also have some of the BB heavy 180 grain .357 mag stuff that I carry for hogs sometimes while working in the south. That load is just plain powerful - a real handful compared to the common factory stuff.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

I tryed the other day for the first time a +P load for my LCP. Corbon 90gr JHP and could definatly tell there is a little more kick to these rounds. Ate up all the rounds and no problems, just won't be shooting many of those rounds and the ridicolous price they are, they cost as much as my 45 ACP rounds!
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Links