124 gr. vs. 147 gr.?

This is a discussion on 124 gr. vs. 147 gr.? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My intuition likes 124 gr. 9mm over 147 gr., but feel free to discuss, if you like. Also, a gratuitous comment about standard or +P ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 124 gr. vs. 147 gr.?

124 gr. vs. 147 gr.?

My intuition likes 124 gr. 9mm over 147 gr., but feel free to discuss, if you like. Also, a gratuitous comment about standard or +P never hurt anyone. I currently shoot 124 gr. +P Ranger T and will prolly go with GD's next time if I can't find Winchesters.
    Thanks.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

2. Remove Ads

Do the 124's work in your gun reliably? Is your gun rated for +P ammo, if so, then your good to go.

Use what your gun is rated for and what works reliably. Those are two of the most important factors. Learn to shoot what you carry.

There is only 30lbs of energy difference between the Ranger T +P and the GD +P in the 124 gr. Both manufacturers have good reputations for defensive rounds.

Basically if your using a proven round it boils down to a matter of choice. My choice is the Speer over Win Ranger because they are available more places, but in standard pressures.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I went from 147 Golden Sabers to 124's, more controllable and never saw a big benefit of +P. 23 grains is not a big difference, and 147 is slower.less controllable. I think the extra FPS of 124 makes for a better expansion too.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I carry Federal HST 147grs. Accurate and great ballistic reports. I've considered the 124's, but the 147's have better penetration.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    IMHO a heavier bullet defeats the strong point of the 9mm---speed.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I'm kind of "Can you hit what you are aiming at ?" If you can put a couple of holes in your target. I don't get real hung up on the weight. That my nickels worth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

147s have deeper expansion cavities that don't get so easily clogged with clothing. Clogging turns a jhp into ball ammo, increasing penetration (and risking over-penetration?) and decreasing expansion.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Federal HST 147gr. This weight allows for better penetration and HST expands the best.

I carry 147gr HST in all my carry guns (Kahr PM9, HK P7, CZ P-01) and it has worked reliably in all of them and is easy to shoot for me. The modern 147gr loads have come a long way and work great.

Senior Moderator
    I use 124gr Gold Dots because they have been reliable
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Purely subjective data here, but I shoot 124g HST's MUCH better than 147g ones.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

I carry the 124 g HSTs in a 3in barrel XD9SC. I recognize I'm giving up velocity for the benefits of the shorter barrel, so slowing down even more with the heavier projectile seems a move in the wrong direction. More velocity will increase the chance of deforming the metal and maximizing permanent would channel. For the 9mm, the velocity argument has some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    Federal HST 147gr. This weight allows for better penetration and HST expands the best.
    same here,147gr have less recoil than 124gr so i shoot better w/them
    Last edited by stormbringerr; September 5th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I use 124 gr +p golden sabres in my xdsc. They are controllable and reliable in my gun. And Im kinda of a middle of the road type of guy.

It really makes no difference...what ever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links