what would happen?

what would happen?

This is a discussion on what would happen? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was given a box of ammo today from a friend that is PCSing. the ammo he gave me is 45 GAP. He has a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question what would happen?

I was given a box of ammo today from a friend that is PCSing. the ammo he gave me is 45 GAP. He has a XD 45. So what would happen if he shot the GAP ammo in his ACP XD?

I don't think it would even chamber. It probably won't work in the magazines. Pretty sure the manufacturers have taken pains to avoid a scenario like that. Of course where there's a will, there's a way, but I wouldn't suggest trying it.
    .45GAP (.45 GAP): Production Pictures

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    I was given a box of ammo today from a friend that is PCSing. the ammo he gave me is 45 GAP. He has a XD 45. So what would happen if he shot the GAP ammo in his ACP XD?
    This is a good question. I did some web searches and found a report
    of 20 .45 gap rnds being fired in a .45 acp pistol. The pistol jammed on extraction each shot. No damage, but, the consensus was that damage could have happened; because the .45 gap is loaded to higher pressures, the shorter case won't head space properly and the hold of the extractor allowed the firing even though the head space was wrong.
    So I would not do it, even in a revolver with moonclips to get head spacing.

Why would you even want to experiment? I would only shoot the ammo designed for the specific weapon.

Stay armed...use the 'correct' ammo, always...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agreed. ^^
    Why is this even a thought?
    What's next, try to run gasoline in your diesel truck because gas is cheaper?

Use the proper ammo in the proper chambering as is stamped on the guns barrel. Be safe(st).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There is a reason that they say NEVER SHOOT AMMUNITION THAT IS NOT MADE FOR YOUR WEAPON IN A GUN.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Like I said my buddy has a 45 ACP and he PCSing. He can not take his ammo with him so he gave it to me... he has an XD .45ACP... the ammo he gave me .45 GAP. I just wanted to know what would have happened if he needed to defend him self with the 45 GAP ammo in his .45 XD.

Only use ammunition that matches the markings on your firearm. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    Like I said my buddy has a 45 ACP and he PCSing. He can not take his ammo with him so he gave it to me... he has an XD .45ACP... the ammo he gave me .45 GAP. I just wanted to know what would have happened if he needed to defend him self with the 45 GAP ammo in his .45 XD.
    It may not have fired and if it did manage to fire one shot the gun would probably jam ,if your buddy bought a 45 ACP firearm and 45 gap ammo he needs to learn more about firearms and ammo,I would of loved to see him figure out how to chamber 45 colt in a 45 ACP
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

This happened over on the 1911 forum someone mixed a GAP in with his mag with the ACP, they showed a picture of the fired round, N it caused a jam, other than that there was no apparent damage to the gun.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Firing the improper size case or load, is a recipe for destruction.

Administrator
    It's a highly unusual happenstance but, the question is a valid question none the less.

It IS possible that a defensive shooter could possibly find themselves in the unusual, rare, circumstance of having only a pistol chambered in .45 acp and only having .45 GAP ammunition available...say after a natural disaster or SHTF scenario.

So in that case having a "single shot" pistol would certainly be better than not having a useable at all.

I have absolutely no idea if it's possible to shoot .45 GAP in a .45 acp and am only saying that the question is interesting.

For instance having a 1911 with a broken extractor you sure would be better off using it as a .45 acp single shot pistol than using the firearm as a club.

What would happen? Well, I'm sure you'd void your warranty...
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." - Thomas Paine

My public PGP key

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I have absolutely no idea if it's possible to shoot .45 GAP in a .45 acp and am only saying that the question is interesting.
    As I said it has already happened over on the 1911 some guy accidentally loaded a GAP in his ACP mag and it fed N fired just fine, but it jammed N would not extract. Now trying to fire a ACP in a GAP I'm betting that it would not chamber due to the extra length, or feed due to the rim.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    As I said it has already happened over on the 1911 some guy accidentally loaded a GAP in his ACP mag and it fed N fired just fine, but it jammed N would not extract. Now trying to fire a ACP in a GAP I'm betting that it would not chamber due to the extra length, or feed due to the rim.
    45 acp is a rimless cartridge are you meaning being too long to headspace properly.I just looked the GAP is a lot shorter and has a thicker case wall due to higher pressures it looks like it will fire but probably jam in the gun,some people were thinking about cutting down 45 ACP brass to reload for 45 GAP but thats looking for a kaboom due to the thinner case and higher pressure of the gap cartridge do not do it you could seriously injure yourself or others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links