10MM

This is a discussion on 10MM within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And I'm glad to see someone else calling foul on that error-net myth about the FBI agents not being able to handle the 10mm. It. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 10MM

And I'm glad to see someone else calling foul on that error-net myth about the FBI agents not being able to handle the 10mm. It. Is. Not. True.

Heck, their .40 S&W load is marginally more powerful than their 10mm load was, and they run it through smaller, lighter pistols just fine. And those who do not, as in the days of the 10mm, have the option of requesting permission to carry a 9mm. rumor has it that option may be going the way of the Do-Do Bird, but I digress...
    God, country, family.

2. Remove Ads

I prefer a .40 or .45 for EDC, however, as a backup to your outback long gun it would be great.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

This was some pretty good reading...

The 10mm Auto Cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I happen to have a Colt 'Delta Elite' that is a "safe queen". It's simply too bulky, big and heavy for use as a concealed carry pistol. As a backup to a high powered rifle while hunting big game, it's perfect!! Full power loads are easily controlled.
    I have one of the new ones on order, I will be using it for a CCW once it comes in and proves its reliability. I carry only full-size pistols for CCW, so YMMV.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I tried to snag a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail this week at Gunbroker. It got too rich for my blood. The price was nearing $700 for a used one. I tapped out at $650.

My XD-45 will just have to keep me safe a little longer...

But still, I want one... :(

I carry a GLOCK 29 and love it. The 4" barrel doesn't lose as much velocity as some would have you believe. testing is out there to back this claim up. 15 rounds of 10mm in a subcompact GLOCK, what is NOT to love?

I have actually converted a number of .45 guys due to how light the recoil is. EVERY .45 fanatic that I have had shoot my gun makes the same comments before shooting. "10mm is too difficult to shoot, its recoil is unmanageable." They always follow up after shooting saying the same thing "WOW that is nothing like I expected, it is EASY to shoot". EVERYONE enjoys the ability to make a quick follow up shot.

If you are use to .45's, the 10 is cake. If you are use to 9mm's, the 10 can be a bit of a bear but still not unmanageable. Just to be clear, I'm not shooting mild rounds either, I'm putting full power DoubleTap rounds down range, not weak FBI or reloads.

As for versatility, there is no round that can match it. The 10mm round can be loaded from 9mm to lower end 44 magnum in terms of power. If you own a GLOCK you have the option of buying a 9x25 barrel, that equates to 2,100-2,200 ft/second 90g rounds out of your stock magazines. You can purchase .40 swaps, .45 swaps (factory GLOCK barrel and mag), .22 swaps, 357sig swaps. The options are HUGE!

The down side:
    • There aren't enough pistols/carbines in this caliber.
    • It is about the same price as .45, so it isn't cheap.
    • You probably can't find ammo in walmart. I only buy mine from Mike at DT. 1,000+ rounds means free shipping and his prices are VERY fair. I hear buffalo bore and several others out there are also great to deal with.

I work for WalMart, and I'll tell you that SOME sell it. They can get WWB 10mm ammo. The problem is once they order it, it needs to sell. Anything that sits long will not be reordered. I've run into that with 222 ammo. I can have all the 223 I want, but 222 is only at a few stores.

The department manager has an order guide that they can look at, and pick from. 10mm is on it, but not a big seller. If you got in good with the department manager (no bribes or gratuities please), they might be able to order a couple of boxes for you, and then the POS system can keep it in stock, at a predetermined level, set as a max shelf capacity, by them. But if you ever quit buying it, and it goes on clearance to move it, it's gone for good. Some stores have likely already been through this, and might not want to help you out. If you stick them with it, it will not come back in stock, once it's been through the clearance procedure.

Some genius needs to come up with a 100 conversion for the XD-45 to end my torment. I cannot afford a second auto pistol, but I want a 10. I also just can't seem to part with my XD. I would do so, for a Dan Wesson CBOB. I'm just not quite ready to do so yet.

I did however, just recieve 3 boxes of Double Tap 45ACP +P 185gr GDHP rounds to try out. They claim 1225fps from 5 inches. I'm going to try to get to the range today and try them. Should be fun...

FHBrumb good to know, however I still refuse to shop at walmart for a number of reasons, the least of which is how terrible they treat their employees. I hope they at least treat you well. God speed.

WalMart treats me, and many of my peers quite well. I've been there about 7 1/2 years now.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have a S&W 1006. It is a darn good round and is ample for SD. Ammo is pretty expensive, so I would reload my practice ammo and buy factory strictly for carry. You might find it a tad difficult to conceal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links