Glocks and safe ammo

This is a discussion on Glocks and safe ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody know which Factory produced (new) ammo has not been party to the .40 S&W Glock KBs? I have a G23 and need to ...

Thread: Glocks and safe ammo

Glocks and safe ammo

Does anybody know which Factory produced (new) ammo has not been party to the .40 S&W Glock KBs? I have a G23 and need to find which ammo brand/load is safest to carry.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I have no idea the brands on the kabooms but most LEO around here carry either Speer Gold dot or Federal Hydro-shoks. I have shot many of these through my gun and had no problems.
    I also ment to add I carry speer gold dot and Winchester Ranger talons in my glock 23 Extensive testing with both and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    I have no idea the brands on the kabooms but most LEO around here carry either Speer Gold dot or Federal Hydro-shoks. I have shot many of these through my gun and had no problems.
    I also ment to add I carry speer gold dot and Winchester Ranger talons in my glock 23 Extensive testing with both and no problems.
    These are the only two two brands I carry as a SD load in my Glocks...(Speer Gold Dots/Winchester Ranger Talons).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As far as I know, the most reported cases of Glock KBs have actually been from the model 21 in 45acp. Do KB's happen in other pistol brands, makes, and models? Yes. The true circumstances behind KBs in any firearm.....some have known causes, and some are left up to interpretation. That's only referring to reported cases. Weak cases, reloads that are over-pressure for certain reasons, cartridges that have taken set-back from multiple chamberings, and non-fully supported chambers to mention a few. I've owned a total of six Glock pistols and still have four of them. Tens of thousands of rounds down range out of mine and one small KB out of my G17 with factory reloaded ammo. I believe the extractor did not go over the case rim fully, it ruptured the case just in front of the case head, slightly burned my shooting hand, and ejected the magazine. Since this, I've still put several thousand more rounds of new factory ammo through this same pistol with no problems and never any problems out of my G19, G22, G27. All of my Glock pistols have aftermarket recoil systems in them......full metal guide rods and factory rated spring strengths. While some times it seems that the general public feeds off dis-information, and sometimes the facts are hard to find, we must realize the amount of Glock pistols on the market, owned, and in use compared to other brands. Glocks are pretty popular and can be obtained at somewhat average prices comparatively speaking when we look at pistols over all. That's the numbers game alot of folks like to call statistics. In essence, we need to look at the big picture to find reason before jumping to conclusions. I'll continue to shoot and carry all of my Glocks using factory barrels and new factory ammo. Here are some good reads on the subject I'd suggest any Glock owner read and research more on their own. We all make decisions for ourselves and choose to live with those decisions or change. Good luck, be safe.

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35
    The Gun Zone -- Catastrophic Failures
    SayUncle PD Ditches Glock
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-ka-booms.html
    http://www.glockfaq.com/reloading.htm
    http://defensiveshootinginstructors....ock-unsafe.pdf
    The Gun Zone -- Glock Model 21 kB! #4
    The Glock Papers -- Case Failure FAQ
    The Glock Papers -- The Glock kB! FAQ
    Why Guns Blow Up
    Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns [Glock]
    Glock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GLOCK Review Center
    Why do kB!s occur in these Glock models?
    Glock 22 (Chambered for .40 S&W) Review | LearnAboutGuns.com*

Factory ammo hasn't KBd in any of the instances. Where people blame the ammo and claim it was factory they offer nothing to backup their claim. Not even a picture of the used box. Therefor it must be assumed that it was someone doing a poor reload job which in numerous cases that was the problem. Use new ammo, from a quality manufacturer (federal, CCI, Winchester, Remington etc)

Any quality factory premium load will be just fine. I like federal HST in all my guns. 9mm and .45acp. I don't own .40sw but I would still use HST if I did.

The .40 cal kB problem with Glocks was with a certain lot number of 180grn HydraShok...about 8 years ago, if not more. It's all gone by now.

Any quality, name-brand factory ammo will work just fine.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Use less than 180 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Use less than 180 gr.
    In Hydra-shoks only, or just in PD ammo, or practice ammo, or for everything? I just picked up a box of PMC Bronze 165gr FMJ-FP yesterday from my local gun shop. I seldom find other than 180gr, at least around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    As far as I know, the most reported cases of Glock KBs have actually been from the model 21 in 45acp. Do KB's happen in other pistol brands, makes, and models? Yes. The true circumstances behind KBs in any firearm.....some have known causes, and some are left up to interpretation. That's only referring to reported cases. Weak cases, reloads that are over-pressure for certain reasons, cartridges that have taken set-back from multiple chamberings, and non-fully supported chambers to mention a few. I've owned a total of six Glock pistols and still have four of them. Tens of thousands of rounds down range out of mine and one small KB out of my G17 with factory reloaded ammo. I believe the extractor did not go over the case rim fully, it ruptured the case just in front of the case head, slightly burned my shooting hand, and ejected the magazine. Since this, I've still put several thousand more rounds of new factory ammo through this same pistol with no problems and never any problems out of my G19, G22, G27. All of my Glock pistols have aftermarket recoil systems in them......full metal guide rods and factory rated spring strengths. While some times it seems that the general public feeds off dis-information, and sometimes the facts are hard to find, we must realize the amount of Glock pistols on the market, owned, and in use compared to other brands. Glocks are pretty popular and can be obtained at somewhat average prices comparatively speaking when we look at pistols over all. That's the numbers game alot of folks like to call statistics. In essence, we need to look at the big picture to find reason before jumping to conclusions. I'll continue to shoot and carry all of my Glocks using factory barrels and new factory ammo. Here are some good reads on the subject I'd suggest any Glock owner read and research more on their own. We all make decisions for ourselves and choose to live with those decisions or change. Good luck, be safe.

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35
    The Gun Zone -- Catastrophic Failures
    SayUncle PD Ditches Glock
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-ka-booms.html
    The Glock FAQ [Reloading]
    http://defensiveshootinginstructors....ock-unsafe.pdf
    The Gun Zone -- Glock Model 21 kB! #4
    The Glock Papers -- Case Failure FAQ
    The Glock Papers -- The Glock kB! FAQ
    Why Guns Blow Up
    Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns [Glock]
    Glock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GLOCK Review Center
    Why do kB!s occur in these Glock models?
    Glock 22 (Chambered for .40 S&W) Review | LearnAboutGuns.com*
    +1. I would venture a guess that 98% of Glock KB's are due to improperly loaded ammo or shooting lead in a factory barrel.

Links