40 cal?

This is a discussion on 40 cal? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I need some help on carrying a 40cal instead of a45. I have carried a 45 glock21 for years and the size and wieght ...

Thread: 40 cal?

40 cal?

Hello
    I need some help on carrying a 40cal instead of a45. I have carried a 45 glock21 for years and the size and wieght is not an issue, so I have been looking for something a little smaller and lighter the 40 cal in a glock 23 or 22 would give me the rd counrt that I am used to with the 21 and 30 but yet a little lighter and thinner/smaller. My main problem is why do I feel under gunned with a 40 that cql should be just as affective as a45 for SD right? convince me.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    why do I feel under gunned with a 40 that cql should be just as affective as a45 for SD right? convince me.
    Because the .45 is bigger and you have some hangup on size???

All handgun rounds are poor man stoppers. The more you shoot, and the better hits you get the quicker the fight will stop. If you can shoot more and better with a .40 be happy with it and call it a day.

Personally I don't like the .40 and would rather have a 9mm or a .45, but hey, whatever floats your whistle...

I have a SIG P220, 8+1 and carry a spare mag. 17 rounds 45acp. I have a G22, 15+1, 16 rounds 40S&W....sometimes I carry a spare mag. I don't consider myself under-gunned with either of those due to a smaller caliber, or smaller magazine capacity.....I figure it comes out equal actually. Summertime jeans and t-shirt carry for me includes my G27 10 rounds 40S&W or my G19 15 rounds 9mm and I don't feel under-gunned with either of those either. If I have to use any of them, I'm going to place my shots where they count so everything at that point is pretty much a wash. I may carry my G22 more often than my G17 though. I'm not really into the ballistics arguments anyway....I choose what feels best for me at any given time and have lots of options. Options are always good!

I wouldn't sweat it ..think about it. The US Army uses a 9mm. If they w/all their money they've spent on studies ad pistol runs feel comfortable w/9mm than you should be ok w/40 or 45. On top of that, I know few LE agencies that use anything but .40's. Ours does. Our MSP does. The US MArshals use .40's. Air marshals use .40. They must see something good in it..
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I'm a BIG proponent of the .45.........I a big proponent of the forty too.

I carry a G23........I'd feel just as good with the G21. I believe in my abilities with either round (and either gun).

The .45 dosn't have as 'snappy' a recoil as the .40 does, but get what you'd feel comfortable carrying, practice, and get compentent with it. The forty will do the job.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it ..think about it. The US Army uses a 9mm. If they w/all their money they've spent on studies ad pistol runs feel comfortable w/9mm than you should be ok w/40 or 45. On top of that, I know few LE agencies that use anything but .40's. Ours does. Our MSP does. The US MArshals use .40's. Air marshals use .40. They must see something good in it..
    Army uses it because of the nato connection and common nato ammo.

shot placement is king for me (not saying I'd carry a .22LR) Don't get me wrong I LOVE .45 but in the glock I just liked the size of the glock 28 better. It was a size issue and a compromise. I don't need to remind you that in most civilian shootings my 5 shot revolver (.357) will be more then enough.
    Glock 21
    7.59 length 5.47 height 1.27 width 13 mag 38 oz weight
    Glock 23
    6.85 length 5. height 1.18 width 13 mag 31 oz weight
    Glock 27 (my personal choice)
    6.29 length 4.17 height 1.26 width 9 mag 27 oz weight

From your choices your saving SOME on the change, but I can only
    my method of carry using a smartcarry i liked how the smaller auto carried. (revolver is the most comfortable and thats why i use it most often) G27 is almost a pound lighter, 11/2 inches less in height and weight and you loose 4 rounds. But the wasn't one of your choices. Your G23 would save you 1/2 inch on height and weight and 7 oz on weight.

The Glock 23 is hands down as good as carry gun as you can get, IMO.
    When you boil it down, it's got the best size-weight/firepower ratio.

Ballistically they are fairly identical

I prefer the 155-165gr loads.

I'll take my Sig P229 .40 anyday and place the bullet anywhere I want.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I carry a Glock 27 20% of the time, and feel quite secure with it, but my real preference is the Glock 36 which I carry 80 % of the time. For some reason, knowing I'm packing a .45 gives me a real comforting feeling.

I might consider my self under gunned with my Rigarmi 25 or a 32. Not a 40.

Links