Frangible ammo in carry gun

This is a discussion on Frangible ammo in carry gun within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody carry with frangible ammo that does not have any "special circumstances", such as having to worry about richocet in your everyday lives? Good or ...

Thread: Frangible ammo in carry gun

Anybody carry with frangible ammo that does not have any "special circumstances", such as having to worry about richocet in your everyday lives? Good or bad idea to avoid over penetration in crowded areas, etc? What about in your home? I've shot it in training before, but personally carry Winchester Ranger JHP ammo in .40. Thoughts?
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only frangible ammo I have is for a .44 Magnum handgun, which I do not use regularly as a home-defense handgun. If I ever were to decide to carry it, I will use .44 Specials as a carry cartridge.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

EW3
    I have Glaser Silver Safety Slugs in my H&K USP .45 that is used only for home defense, as I live in a condo. Any carry gun gets regular hollow points.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

At home I use Extreame shock I know it looks alot like a "mall Nija" round but I have tested it in painted drywall seperated by 2x4's. My 5" 1911 in .45 went thru 2 walls seems safe to use my appt.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The trade offs for the over penetration are not worth the risk.

I do believe in a standard I would say 12-14 inches is good for a defensive load to reach vital organs on a human shot from almost any angle. Most of that frangible stuff and even the Glaser safety slugs do not penetrate very well. There have been cases of even guys wearing heaving clothing and the projectiles barely broke skin. Most of that stuff goes in and within 2-4 inches breaks up, from most angles vital organs are well beyond those parameters.

If you follow the basic safe room scenarios, i.e. staying in your safe room and not going hunting around your house thus making you the prey, creating a funnel for your firing lanes in a home invasion you can configure your home to where your not going to over penetrate alls possible. A well place book shelf, TV, Water bubbler could possible solve this issue as a temporary backstop.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I carry 230gr. Hydra-Shok all the time. For peace of mind, a person should practice,practice,practice. Know your skill level. Practice under low light conditions,day light conditions,after running 25 yrds. If you worry about over penetration,go back to the range. My 2 cents.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    I carry 230gr. Hydra-Shok all the time. For peace of mind, a person should practice,practice,practice. Know your skill level. Practice under low light conditions,day light conditions,after running 25 yrds. If you worry about over penetration,go back to the range. My 2 cents.
    +100 to that training,training,training, training and when u think your good train some more.
    Winchester ranger holopoints are a good round I think the use the same bullet. I'm not 100% sure. My fave is Speer Gold Dot, Ranger talons, or cor-bon

If you are truly concerned about over penetration, I would suggest 00 buck or .223/5.56. These have been shown to go through fewer walls than handgun rounds. Many SWAT teams have switched from 9mm sub guns to M4s because of this. Neither one of these rounds is a compromise in their respective platforms. Frangible ammo in a handgun is, in my opinion.
    -Biker

Links