Found a bullet my 1911 doesn't like?

Found a bullet my 1911 doesn't like?

This is a discussion on Found a bullet my 1911 doesn't like? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have about 6-700 rounds through my Kimber pro carry II now, and it has eaten every bullet I've fed it and asked for more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a bullet my 1911 doesn't like?

Question Found a bullet my 1911 doesn't like?

I have about 6-700 rounds through my Kimber pro carry II now, and it has eaten every bullet I've fed it and asked for more with no problem until today. I've tried various brands of usually whatever is the cheapest target ammo I can find wherever I am that day. Most has been Remington, but a couple of other brands as well.

Never had a problem until today, when I tried the WWB from Wal-mart. I've yet to have a single problem with my pistol before today, but working through the 100 rounds of .45 acp I had a couple fail to eject and one fail to return to battery (slide only went back halfway). I clean and lube my gun after every range visit.

My main question is: do I give up on WWB? Or is this just a normal occurrence and I've just been lucky until now? I figure ball target ammo is pretty standard across the board, but I've never had a single problem until now, and I want to try and avoid them in the future as this is my first handgun and I'm planning to make it my carry gun as well. (I haven't fired any JHP through it yet, I will later this week to make sure my gun will eat it alright).

It's not uncommon to find some ammo that does not function well in a particular firearm.

What type of FTE and FTF did the round hit the feed ramp and stop or did it angle up and jam,either one might be a mag problem especially with FMJ,the FTE could be the gun short stroking,maybe the recoil spring is too heavy for the load your shooting.maybe you had a couple rounds out of spec
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A couple were angled up and jammed, one jammed completely sideways. None failed to actually fire. When it failed to return to battery the round did completely eject, I'm not sure what caused that one...I do lube my slide rails. The actual specs of the ammo were the same as I always use: 230 grain FMJ .45 acp

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    WWB is usually consistent. They tend to leave a bit too much fouling to suit me and it could have built up in your pistol to the point it caused the problem.

It could also be a problem with your Kimber. Not unusual to have to run several hundred through them before they are reliable enough for EDC.

Shot thousands of WWB thru 4 different 1911s with no problems?

I am intrested. I bought whit box winchester 40 s/w 3 jams in 100 rounds. same thing as you weak discharge. I started another thread and I stumbled on thisone. Shells not ejecting with force

A guy at my station is an avid shooter as well and doesn't like the winchester ammo. Says it is "very dirty". I'm thinking that perhaps I just had a little too much oil in my slide rails and they got gummed up?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    I am intrested. I bought whit box winchester 40 s/w 3 jams in 100 rounds. same thing as you weak discharge. I started another thread and I stumbled on thisone. Shells not ejecting with force
    It is a weird coincidence. Do either of you have the lot numbers? They wouldn't be the same lot, but perhaps manufactured at the same time. Maybe Winchester used a different powder that day or something. Probably something to bring to their attention.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I just looked, I do not have the lot number. I kept the one end of box and it does indicate made in USA. My thread is simply "40 sw". I didnt realize, someone else already posted the question.

I put my saved brass back in the box for storage, I'll take a look and post it tomorrow when I get off shift. I figure I'll just take a pass on winchester and go back to remington. I can buy those from Dick's sporting goods for a price that's about the same. Plus I can buy Dick's gift cards from Giant Eagle and get fuelperk gas discounts that way. Is that triple-dipping?

Good Idea wpk. G E Gift cards I dont know if you are in the Akron area but Pro Gun in the Falls has good ammo prices, I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    Good Idea wpk. G E Gift cards I dont know if you are in the Akron area but Pro Gun in the Falls has good ammo prices, I have found.

I do live in Akron I went up to Pro Gun's range a few days ago, they have a really nice setup down there. I usually go to Marksman over in Barberton, but I wanted to try the various ranges in the area. I didn't look at Pro Gun's ammo prices as my range bag was pretty heavy with it already, I'll try and take a look next time. Thanks for the heads up!

PS> Summit County gun show on the 27! I'm hoping to find some good prices on bulk factory reloads.

VIP Member
    wpk:
    Give up on it in that gun.

Thanks for the input on the gun show. Fair grounds I am guessing.
    My son and I will be there also

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links